Running Form: on what part of the foot should I land? (Read 1026 times)

Right on Hereford...

I've seen articles claiming you should land on your forefoot, others saying mid-foot, and others saying you should land on your heel. Here is an article and video on Sarah Hall discussing heel strike: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/fashion/17fitness.html?_r=1&oref=login (sorry, NYTimes requires free login) What is proper running form, according to the latest research? Links would be appreciated...
    Scout7

There isn't one "proper" form. The only real issue is where your foot lands in relation to the rest of your body. If your foot lands out in front of you, that's over-striding, and creates a braking effect. Other than that, it doesn't make a lick of difference. Part I Next Footstrike of elites
      C-R

Oh boy have you opened up a can of worms. No worries as the posts will be both educational and fun. Since I wandered in here early on, let me start. I personally tend to land more mid to ball of the foot. I've read lots of material that says one is good and another is bad and then the following week another article by an equally qualified scientists says something completely different. Personal observation - your body knows where to land if you relax while running and don't over stride. My guess based on your times (some in the 6 minute range and sub 19 5K - you may already be in that neighborhood) Scout put me onto this site and perhaps it might be helpful. http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html Good luck and let the games begin. Big grin Modify - crap Scout I thought I could steal some of your thunder as perhaps you might be occupied with someones mom.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Think Whirled Peas

The bottom. Wink

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

The bottom. Wink
            Good answer. Big grin Personally I try to land closer to the back of my forefoot (midfoot?), and then my heel *softly* hits the ground right afterwards or simultaneously. I've found that this works well for ME. It feels closer to how I run naturally (barefoot), and I also train in flats because of this. Maybe concentrating on this just stops me from over-striding. Who knows.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good answer. Big grin Personally I try to land closer to the back of my forefoot (midfoot?), and then my heel *softly* hits the ground right afterwards or simultaneously. I've found that this works well for ME. It feels closer to how I run naturally (barefoot), and I also train in flats because of this. Maybe concentrating on this just stops me from over-striding. Who knows.
              Ditto. I look at my first couple pairs of shoes and the heels were always all worn away by about 200 miles. I was also prone to hip flexor issues...hello, overstiding. Even my early race photos show me running with an almost backwards lean. As I've concentrated on picking up my turnover pace, shortening my stride, and running more upright I have seen my shoe wear more evenly distributed, with somewhat more weight under the ball of my foot--I also run much more quietly (LOVE sneaking up on people walking on the rail trail and scaring the crap outta them as I pass Evil grin). And my random little pains have all but disappeared. I've also been able to move to shoes with a great deal less stability--though this could be as much due to stronger legs as anything.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Heel striking is usually pretty bad because it almost always indicates overstriding. I don't think it is very bad though as long as you aren't overstriding. I believe Abdi is an example of someone that heel strikes a bit but still has a very efficient stride.
                Scout7

Heel striking is usually pretty bad because it almost always indicates overstriding. I don't think it is very bad though as long as you aren't overstriding. I believe Abdi is an example of someone that heel strikes a bit but still has a very efficient stride.
                  Correct. Heel striking is not an issue. Over-striding is. Not all heel strikers are over-striding.
                  JakeKnight

The bottom. Wink
                    My thought exactly. According to Wikipedia, almost 99.8% of elite runners do, in fact, land on the bottom of their foot when running. I'd go with that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

C-R

According to Wikipedia, almost 99.8% of elite runners do, in fact, land on the bottom of their foot when running.
                      Who are the .2% and how do they manage? Inquiring minds want to know. Pictures if you have them Of course Wikipedia is the one and only true source of internet information. The equivalent of the printed version - National Enquirer. Clowning around

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Right on Hereford...

There isn't one "proper" form. The only real issue is where your foot lands in relation to the rest of your body. If your foot lands out in front of you, that's over-striding, and creates a braking effect. Other than that, it doesn't make a lick of difference. Part I Next Footstrike of elites
                        Awesome. I read the three links (and more on thescienceofsport blog) and think I've learned about all I need to learn on the subject at this point in time! Big grin Thanks, I will make sure my feet land underneath me and not worry about the forefoot/midfoot/heel question.