Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

Rich_

This is a very interesting quote. Thanks for posting it. This part of that quote is significant in terms of conventional thinking on the source of fatigue - "...endurance training reduces blood levels of lactate, even while cells continue to produce the same amount of lactate".
    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
      From the same article: "The intense exercise generates big lactate loads, and the body adapts by building up mitochondria to clear lactic acid quickly. If you use it up, it doesn't accumulate." Endurance Training
      he showed that endurance training reduces blood levels of lactate,
      Genetic?
      even while cells continue to produce the same amount of lactate.
      Some guesses... "Running Economy" breathing - vo2 max lactate - fuel* (endurance training + genes) muscles - physiology (this is where your theory comes in?) Fuel "To move, muscles need energy in the form of ATP, adenosine triphosphate. Most people think glucose, a sugar, supplies this energy, but during intense exercise, it's too little and too slow as an energy source, forcing muscles to rely on glycogen, a carbohydrate stored inside muscle cells. For both fuels, the basic chemical reactions producing ATP and generating lactate comprise the glycolytic pathway, often called anaerobic metabolism because no oxygen is needed. This pathway was thought to be separate from the oxygen-based oxidative pathway, sometimes called aerobic metabolism, used to burn lactate and other fuels in the body's tissues."
      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Rich_

I was thinking more along the lines of muscle acidity. When it became accepted that lactate does not cause fatigue, some shifted the focus from lactate to H+ (hydrogen ions), which are associated with lactate production, as the cause of fatigue. In short, here was the story: it was suggested that increasing muscle acidity was the cause of fatigue. Acidity was brought about by an increase in H+ in the cell. H+ increased as lactate production increased. More lactate = more H+ = more acidity. The quote you posted said that lactate production did NOT decrease. Instead, the rate of usage of lactate increased (i.e. the same amount of lactate was produced, but lactate was being burned at a faster rate), which is why blood lactate levels dropped. Well, if the rate of lactate production is the same before and after training then muscle acidity would be the same since the claim is that H+ production is tied to lactate production. Yet, the athlete is now running faster at the same level of blood lactate concentration. Running faster = more lactate being produced. But since lactate is being burned at a faster rate, blood lactate levels are not higher. Which means that the runner is actually running at a higher level of muscle acidity. This brings up the question - is acidity really the cause of fatigue if the runner can run at a higher level of acidity after training than before?
          Muscle acidity? Muscles Are Smarter Than You Think: Acidity Helps Prevent Muscle Fatigue We found that muscles play a "clever trick" in which they use acidosis--the build-up of acid--to help ensure that they keep responding properly to nerve signals and so avoid the fatigue that would otherwise occur,' said Professor Lamb. Lactate, We Hardly Knew Thee According to the new theory of lactate, one of the highest priorities of training is to increase the body’s capacity to use lactate during high-intensity exercise so that the athlete can race faster.
          Mostly its your muscles, not your cardiovascular system, that determine how fast you can run. Forget all that VO2max, lactate threshold stuff. Focus on optimally training your muscles if you want to run faster / your best. How do you optimally train your muscles? Train at a wide variety of paces/distances/intensities (I recommend 6 distinct training paces), give yourself sufficient recovery between run workouts, add a bit of cross training / strength training, and eat a sensible diet.
          And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Rich_

That's good stuff. Thanks.
              Jim: That's quite interesting... I actually might have done the same with your old coach in terms of cutting back the mileage before the target race; thought I would be a bit more forgiving with the intensity... It is true, in a way, that what I do is pretty much 3 (or thereabouts) "point workouts" a week; a long run, a tempo and intervals (right now, steps). Except that I fill it up with 7~10 other workouts a week in a form of "jogging". I hadn't "trained" this much in years and I feel very fit (except for my Achilles pain!); I've improved my 5k time by a minute just this season alone. And now I got a new goal--to get your times by the time I get 60! ;o) Very impressive; good on ya!
              Nobby, I think a lot of the reason that I never responded well to that approach was that to average 50-60 mpw over an extended period has always been good mileage for me. The difference betweem 30-35 mpw and 50 has been especially signficant over the years. I suspect that if I had been averaging 80-90 mpw, a taper down to 50-60 with more intensity might have worked. The drop from 50 down to 25-30 just killed my endurance. I believe that the mileage cutback hurt me a lot more than upping the intesnsity, even though I have always gotten more bang for the buck from threshold stuff. At first I thought I was unusual but have since discovered that there are lots of runners who are the same way. I have a theory that most runners who don’t run high mileage would probably race faster with very little if any mileage taper. Before key races I’d go more with striders, light speedwork, or threshold runs, with most everything else easy while keeping the mileage up. Everyone thinks they have to taper even though they are running marathons on 40 mpw. If you taper from that level there ain't much left. And, if you think about it, won’t 3 miles of hard running trash your legs more than 7-8 easy ones? If the mileage you are doing isn't making your legs feel too tired then you probably are going to race well. Why taper if that is the case? To get more to the point where I started this, I don’t believe that a low- mileage/high-intensity approach will work as well as a more balanced approach in the overwhelming majority of cases. To those who say, “But I ran a PR using it”, I ask “but did you run as well as you are capable of?” A PR doesn’t mean much if it is about half as good as what you are capable of running. Btw, one of the first running books I ever read was "Running With Lydiard". I still thumb it from time to time--a great book. I know that he advocated cutting back mileage during the sharpening phase, but look at the mileage his runners were putting in. They could afford to do it without losing their edurance. Their taper, as well as most elites these days, was a lot more than someone like me runs at peak mileage.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Jim: That is a very interesting point. I guess Arthur's original boys, when they were doing 100 miles a week for their main training for conditioning, they would cut back their mileage down to 40~50 miles during track workout; plus (I never counted so I don't know if this is with or without) they were doing up to 50 minutes of easy jogging in the morning. Interestingly, I just had the worst 5k race of the season yesterday. My Achilles has been borhering me so I wasn't really doing much running (though still doing twice a day); on Wednesday, I went to the club and ran on the treadmill. It felt so easy to run and did a few fast strides (only for 30 seconds) and 9.5MPH felt like jogging. I felt so good so I just packed it up after 30 minutes. First mile felt fine but ran out of gas... Another interesting thing is; so I've been doing almost twice a day about 5 times a week. My morning jog loop was about 25 minutes earlier. That became 18-minutes so I added some extra on dirt trail; down to the tunnel; which was about 42 minutes out and back... Now it's about 36 minutes so I need to add some more. A part of it, I'm sure, is getting used to running in the morning (I work out of my house so I get my daughter off to school at 6:50 and then go out at 7) but I'm getting faster by running more. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have found this...
                  Sorry, missed the fun while running in the ridiculously nice weather. Dick, any response yet to my question about your times and how they've improved using "your" theories? Have you chipped into that 10-minute mile?

Dave

Jim, Very good information for me as I'm one of those guys running a marathon in two weeks off of my best mileage ever but still peaking at around 50 and even then for only a handful of weeks (I've had some inconsistent miles the last two weeks with a 10 mile race and a few extra days off after that with really sore legs) I do tend to run many of my miles close to or even below what I think may be MP so I think I have a large portion of my miles that might be characterized as "intensity". I think I'm reading that you recommend maintaining my miles and intensity for one more week with a slightly shorter long run 1 week out (maybe something like 13)?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Jim, Very good information for me as I'm one of those guys running a marathon in two weeks off of my best mileage ever but still peaking at around 50 and even then for only a handful of weeks (I've had some inconsistent miles the last two weeks with a 10 mile race and a few extra days off after that with really sore legs) I do tend to run many of my miles close to or even below what I think may be MP so I think I have a large portion of my miles that might be characterized as "intensity". I think I'm reading that you recommend maintaining my miles and intensity for one more week with a slightly shorter long run 1 week out (maybe something like 13)?
                      Dave; With your recent 10-mile race and a large portion of your miles at a good pace already, I woudn't do anything hard from here on. You really want to guard against having your legs get anywhere near where they were following that race. You might not be completely over that one yet even though the soreness is gone. A 13-miler a week out sounds reasonable. Go nice and easy the rest of the time and make a conscious effort to keep it near the slow end of your easy range those last few days. If you can do a little something everyday that would be good, but if you know from experience that a complete rest day works for you then take one. Good luck and be sure to post a report after the big one.
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Feeling the growl again

Dick likes to take snippets from other people and paste them in, then pretend that those other people support the gibberish he preaches. Dick claims over and over that the "old" aerobic story of running is dead and disproven. He claims that his theories are now mainstream, supported by Hudson in his new book. Remember, you cannot separate pieces of Dick's theory -- in order for his house of cards to stand, cardiovascular factors must be unimportant he said so himself. I already posted one article where Dick said data supported his claims, yet conveniently left out that the authors who generated that data wholeheartedly disagreed with him. With that in mind, let's look at another excerpt from Brad Hudson's new book that Dick claims supports his theories and "brings them into the mainstream": "Oxygen is a big part of the sport of running. One of the signature physiological characteristics of the best distance runners is a large aerobic capacity, or the ability to consume oxygen at a very high rate while sustaining fast running speeds. And one of the primary effects of training as a distance runner is a significant increase in the ability to consume oxygen when running hard. Why is aerobic capacity so important to running performance? Because oxygen plays a direct role in releasing energy in the muscles. The more oxygen your muscles are able to consume as you run, the more energy they can pour into moving your body forward and the faster you can run over any distance exceeding a few hundred meters. The muscles are also able to release energy without oxygen, or anaerobically. And, in fact, anaerobic metabolism is well suited to provide large amounts of energy that are needed to fuel very high-intensity efforts, such as short sprints. However, anaerobic metabolism is much more wasteful than aerobic metabolism. The aerobic breakdown of a single glucose molecule yields 20 times as much energy as the anaerobic breakdown of the same glucose molecule. In addition, the aerobic system can metabolize fat, the body’s most abundant energy source, whereas the anaerobic system cannot. Aerobic metabolism is therefore better suited to sustaining submaximal efforts. Working muscles always release energy both aerobically and anaerobically, but the lower the intensity of exercise, the more they rely on aerobic metabolism, and the higher the intensity of exercise, the more they rely on anaerobic metabolism." Funny, Dick, how someone who you claim supports your gibberish begins his book by reiterating everything your detractors here and elsewhere repeat ad nauseum. If he is supporting you, you support this quoted above.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rich_

This is the first quote I posted from the book: "As important as it is, the aerobic system is only one of two major physiological factors in the running performance equation. The neuromuscular system is the other major factor. Neuromuscular fitness, which manifests itself as stride power, stride efficiency, and fatigue resistance, affects performance as much as aerobic fitness does." The authors are saying that the aerobic system and the nueromuscular system are equally important in performance - which is quite different from traditional training wisdom which places little to no importance on the neuromuscular system as a key component in performance.

Feeling the growl again

This is the first quote I posted from the book: "As important as it is, the aerobic system is only one of two major physiological factors in the running performance equation. The neuromuscular system is the other major factor. Neuromuscular fitness, which manifests itself as stride power, stride efficiency, and fatigue resistance, affects performance as much as aerobic fitness does." The authors are saying that the aerobic system and the nueromuscular system are equally important in performance - which is quite different from traditional training wisdom which places little to no importance on the neuromuscular system as a key component in performance.
                            Balance and equal are two very different things. Nice try and creating an agreement that doesn't exist now. But let's go with that for a moment. Now you agree that the aerobic system and neuromusclular systam are equally important?? As for "traditional" placing "little to no" importants on neuromuscular, you are making that up. Hill bounding was a key compenent of the Lydiard system 50 years ago. Keep on lying to yourself that you're telling anything new or even accurate.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rich_

...Now you agree that the aerobic system and neuromusclular systam are equally important??
                              No. I said the authors of the book place equal important on these 2 systems; I didn't say or imply that I placed equal important on both. I don't agree with every physiological belief of the authors of the book. This thread was simply to point out the areas where we do agree and that some of the tenets of my power running theory have now entered into the mainstream.

Dave

Hey Dick, turns out Coolrunning still exists as a forum: http://community.active.com/community/coolrunning?view=discussions Any chance you could return there?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com