Beginer who has some questions (Read 847 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Hi I am realitvly new at the whole running every day thing. I am training for a full marathon in December of 08. I have been running since last augest. However only 4 days a week since january. I did a half in Feb just to see what it was like and have entered a couple of 5 k's. Last night my foot felt like it was asleep after my 3 mile mark. I normally do 4 miles monday wend fri and sat or sun. I got this feeling at mile 10 when I did the half but last night it happened early It kinda felt like my foot was made of rubber. I ran a 5k on sunday. Could I be doing to much to soon? Any thoughts? This week I have been trying to increase my milage from 20 to 22-23miles. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Hoodoo Guru

How long have you been running in your current shoes? When this happens to me it's usually time for a new pair .

The tangents are moot.

Doug, Is it possible that you're tying your shoes too tight? Even if it doesn't seem like it when you first start out, your feet will swell some as you run, maybe making them too tight after a little while. As for why it happened earlier in your run yesterday compared to when you ran the half, possibly weather conditions, different levels of hydration, etc. could affect how quickly your feet begin to swell. Or, you didn't have your shoe tied quite as tight for the half, so it took longer to swell enough to start cutting off the circulation. I'm sure there are some medical conditions or it could be a sign of doing too much, but I'd check the lacing as a first step. If making the lacing looser causes the heel of your shoe to slip (I've had this issue), you can try this lock-lacking technique to help: http://www.shoelaceknot.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm Lorrie

How long have you been running in your current shoes? When this happens to me it's usually time for a new pair .
          Without being able to see a training log and have any basis for a training related answer, this would be my default suggestion. In fact, even if I could see the training log, I would probably suggest replacing your shoes. It's the first thing that I look at when something hurts, is how many miles my shoes have and how often I use that pair.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Thanks for the info. May be time to change the shoes I have been using them since Dec. I have about 300 miles on them maybe 350. They still look fine. I just bought a new pair on Sat. But have not taken them out for a run yet. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Is it possible that you're tying your shoes too tight?
              I wondered that immediately upon reading the question, although worn out shoes could surely be another reason.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I rotate between multiple pairs of shoes.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)