WHEN to run? (Read 1139 times)

I leave for work at 7:15 a.m. I get home from work at 6:30 p.m. It doesn't get light until around 7:00 a.m. It starts getting dark around 6:45 p.m. It's too dangerous to run around here outside when it's dark .... am I stuck with the dreadmill until Spring? Cry
    I have the same problem! I don't get home from work until who-knows-when, and it's never light out. And mornings are almost impossible for me. I guess I could drive way out to the super safe suburbs and run, but who has time for that? I have a treadmill at home (which I've grown to despise), so that's my only option during the winter. I'm going to try to take advantage of daylight hours during the weekends. And I've thought about joining a spinning class one night of the week to replace a run. But otherwise, I now need to learn to love the treadmill. I've tried watching movies, TV, listening to music, books on tape, even talking on the phone. Nothing cures the boredom or makes the miles go faster. I end up really pushing myself b/c I want to get it over and feel terrible later. If you find something that works for you PLEASE let me know.
      If you find something that works for you PLEASE let me know.
      I think that I enjoy the stress free running of the treadmill a little too much. Sure, it can be boring, but it eliminates the worry of traffic, or other outside dangers. I prefer running at the park but I don't mind the treadmill at all. I don't get to listen to my music often so I look forward to my treadmill time as the chance to run with both ear buds in (since I only wear one while running outside). Also, I have entertainment as my children have not quite accepted that the rule of "leave mom alone when she runs"...my children pop in and out of the room at least 6 times when I run on the treadmill in the evening. My youngest will sometimes set up camp near me and color or play legos. My 12 y/o daughter sometimes picks that time to tell me ALL ABOUT everything going on with all of her friends. Roll eyes It's actually kind of cool that she shares all that with me so I don't mind the timing so much. I tried the tv thing in the past too, I didn't like it.

Michelle

Michelle, can I come run on the treadmill at your house? If I had a big family to keep me entertained while I ran it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Unfortunately for me, the cat isn't much of a talker (she just wants to be held) and the dog wants to be on the treadmill with me (she's knocked me off before), so my "family" is banned from the room while I'm running. I think that's such a great way to bond with your daughter. A kid's friends are everything to them. You can tell a lot about her by who her friends are. It's really great that she shares so much with you.
          Michelle, can I come run on the treadmill at your house? If I had a big family to keep me entertained while I ran it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Unfortunately for me, the cat isn't much of a talker (she just wants to be held) and the dog wants to be on the treadmill with me (she's knocked me off before), so my "family" is banned from the room while I'm running. I think that's such a great way to bond with your daughter. A kid's friends are everything to them. You can tell a lot about her by who her friends are. It's really great that she shares so much with you.
          Oh, ouch, being tripped by the dog. I've tripped myself on the treadmill. I have a scar to prove it Blush. (actually I was stepping onto the treadmill and "forgot" that it was on) There's a downside to there being so much activity while I'm running on the treadmill, when I first got back into running the kids would constantly come to ask me questions, it always messed my breathing up and there were many times when I stopped a workout short. Also, my one son insists on coming to ask me petty questions, so I turn down my music and hear him out and usually it's something like "can I have the rest of the juice in the fridge", or "are you going to the store later?", or "tell Christina to stop calling me stupid", or (this is my favorite) "when we go out later I call shot-gun"... And they wonder why I enjoy the chance to head to the park for a nice long run. Smile

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

any luck that you could run at lunch? my old job had a shower but if I run here i have a large container of baby wipes and some deodarant to clean up afterwards

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Trishie, Do you have a shower at work? When I train for spring marathons, I would run during lunch time becase it's the warmest part of the day and it's bright out. It is a little more hassle but it's worth it if you want to avoid the treadmill. Eric
                I have the same concerns as you Trishie, I do not like to run in the dark. Considering the alternative, even though TM can be boring at least you know you will be safe. I've found that audiobooks are a nice distraction for me and I've started checking them out at the library to save money cuz they are not cheap to buy!
                ---- Cynthia
                  I've found that audiobooks are a nice distraction for me and I've started checking them out at the library to save money cuz they are not cheap to buy!
                  That's a very good idea, I'll have to try that. Smile

Michelle

Big deal...we dames have boobs.
                    You win!
                      You could try finding a running club in your area so you're not running alone in the dark. A couple of sites that list running clubs are: http://www.runningnetwork.com/index.html http://www.usatf.org I am in Miami so I feel your pain. I found a running group and feel much safer. Good luck!

Another Passion

Big deal...we dames have boobs.
                        I KNEW there was something I liked about "dames"! Blush You have them... I, on the other hand, AM one. Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

my boss ran for many years-- she says she won't mind if i duck out at 3:30 in the dark months, run, and then come back. as long as my stuff's all set up for the next day's work, she totally understands, and i get to run while it's still light out! and ha, my ex just sent me some pepper spray to carry with me. "you're probably still running, and probably still running at night. please, please get over yourself and just take this with you." he is what he is, but that was still pretty thoughtful. i dunno, though, i think if i were attacked while running, i'd be too surprised to use the spray effectively. i've been attacked while *not* running and still been caught off-guard. i think i prefer to either take my boss up on her duck-out-early-and-finish-work-later offer or start hooking up w/ running friends more regularly or join a running club or something.
                            Oh, ouch, being tripped by the dog. I've tripped myself on the treadmill. I have a scar to prove it Blush. (actually I was stepping onto the treadmill and "forgot" that it was on)
                            OMG I thought I was the only one in the world that had done that. It was, like, the second time I'd been to my most recent gym and I pretended I was alright because I was really embarrassed, but it got really badly infected and I had to have tetanus shots and courses of antibiotics and I have a scar 7cm by 5cm on my leg! My friends still won't let me live it down.... Big grin

OMG I thought I was the only one in the world that had done that. It was, like, the second time I'd been to my most recent gym and I pretended I was alright because I was really embarrassed, but it got really badly infected and I had to have tetanus shots and courses of antibiotics and I have a scar 7cm by 5cm on my leg! My friends still won't let me live it down.... Big grin
                              I never fell off of one when getting on and not realizing that it was going, but one time my foot didn't come down completely on the belt (half on, half off) and I got thrown off of the back end. I was going at about a 5:20 pace at that point. Thankfully there was a wall about 3 feet behind the treadmill to keep me from traveling too far.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jcasetnl

I leave for work at 7:15 a.m. I get home from work at 6:30 p.m. It doesn't get light until around 7:00 a.m. It starts getting dark around 6:45 p.m. It's too dangerous to run around here outside when it's dark .... am I stuck with the dreadmill until Spring? Cry
                                Mix it up with swimming?