WHEN to run? (Read 1139 times)

One advantage to being a man. You could always get a dog, I suppose...
    I might be a little late to chime in on this one. But for the record, I am a man, and I have encountered mountain lions, bears, and the occasional elk in heat while on runs, but you could not PAY me to run in Baltimore at night! I would like to see runtowin take a run through some of the alley's in the dark (he can even bring a dog)

Dog-Love

I finally got to a point in Alaska where I blocked out my lunchtime and made sure I got outside for a run. Students can live without me and I am a nicer person when I have got my run in. Treadmills don't work at all for me. Now that I have seen Baltimore...it seems like a running buddy would be the way to go along the waterfront. Seems pretty busy in the evenings at night.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        I might be a little late to chime in on this one. But for the record, I am a man, and I have encountered mountain lions, bears, and the occasional elk in heat while on runs, but you could not PAY me to run in Baltimore at night! I would like to see runtowin take a run through some of the alley's in the dark (he can even bring a dog)
        Thanks, Jarrod! I don't think it's a matter of being a man or a woman -- it's a matter of being a smart person. Sadly, both women AND men get mugged and killed, and I'm pretty sure it happens more at night than it does in the daytime. Big dog, running buddy, male running buddy, pepper spray --- none of these things would protect me from some loonie on Pratt Street with a gun. The TM sucks, but it's bright and safe in the gym, and that's what's most important to me. MTA: it may sound like I'm being overdramatic, but this is a city where least 15 homicides occurred in the city in the first ten days of the New Year. I'm pretty sure we're up to 300 homicides so far in 2007 .
        2009: BQ?

Now that was a bath...

Nothing much to add Trishie honey except you do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe. I learned the hard way earlier this year when I ran a 'bad district' in the dark. I got flashed by some guy in a car that started following me, I realized I was lucky not to get worse. I am lucky in the respect though that I am a man in a pretty nice area and I can keep my runs in a safer zone if I choose. Blaine's made me giggle again. Maybe Trishie could take coffee with her. It kills more people than guns. In the words of Willy Wonka... Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Dog-Love

Trishie I have reconsidered my "get a buddy and run advice" because I felt a little creeped out last night at dusk during a run. Then the neighbor told me some stories about the neighborhood that I am staying in and it was a bit hard to believe. So be safe and suffer through the dreadmill...or get out at lunchtime. If you read this before Sunday...and would like to run...my email is (sherry.tamone@uas.alaska.edu)...I am planning on another and last dusk run and maybe a trail run on Sunday because I will finally have a car. If you don't that's OK too because it was nice to meet you and I think its great that you are so friendly...don't ever change. Crabby ooops...Sherry
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              I've been training for the OBX marathon, and 10-12 mile weekday runs just aren't feasible at lunch. I usually get up at 4:30 am to hit the gym and run (starting at 5:30am) when virtually no one else is in. I get the TV if I want it, peace and quiet, etc... One thing I have found is that the treadmill helps me train on a specific pace. I do my Saturday long runs outside, weather permitting, to keep my legs familiar with "real" running. As for "outdoor plumbing," the only time I ever have had to worry about that was before a race--sitting around, usually freezing, trying to stay hydrated. I try not to let any potty emergencies disrupt my runs. I'd rather postpone the run for a few minutes.
                On Tuesday my son had a soccer game in Plaistow NH that got over at 6:00pm, so by the time I got back to the Boston area, changed and walked the dog it was 7:15pm. I prefer to run on a nearby paved bikepath, because it gives me about a two mile stretch with zero traffic. The way people drive around here, that is a HUGE bonus. I have one of those 5 LED flashers that you see on a lot of bicycles, I clip my taillight to the waistband of my shorts to keep bikers from running me down from behind. On Tuesday morning, I ordered a baseball cap from LL Bean that has two LEDs built into the brim so that oncoming bikers can see me too. I don't expect that the hat's LEDs will be strong enough to illuminate the path for running, but on Tuesday night it was so dark that they probably would have helped. There is a yellow line painted down the middle of the path, but it was SO dark (there was zero moonlight) that I couldn't even see the line. I heard a bike approaching from behind, moved to the right and turned my ankle when I stepped off the edge of the pavement. There is no comparing the threat of an injury to a possible violent crime, but it's another thing to keep in mind when you are deciding between dreadmill and the streets. As Sgt Esterhaus from Hill Street Blues always said, "let's be careful out there."

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Overall, I say to be careful. It does not really matter if you are in some supposed "safe" neighborhood or not. This goes along with just cause someone does not appear to be a creep does not mean they are not. My buddy, who lives near Chester/Pratt, was run over (aka hit) twice over there near the inner harbor. He also was about to get hit up by 2 individuals whom he had a conversation with instead... mostly racial in nature from what he told me. 2006 Crime statistics MD Dang! Baltimore Crime: Poopy Shot Stinky! Funny Signs in Baltimore ==> "Drug Free Zone"

Vim

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

As Sgt Esterhaus from Hill Street Blues always said, "let's be careful out there."
                    Happy days ... they don't make TV shows like that anymore.... Neil Smile

Running ... just keep running!

If you're going to run in a gym for several miles, have you considered joining a gym that has an indoor track as well as treadmills? Most such tracks are quite small, 11 or more laps per mile, but I know from firsthand experience that it can break the monotony of miles on a dreadmill. I would also be inclined to do what I could at lunch and finish/start the rest at the gym later on, but that's just me. At least you're able to get out for your long runs on Saturdays.