Your mental state while on sideline (Read 221 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Alcohol.

I'm actually drinking less now that I'm not running due to the calories.  Sigh.

Honestly, I've been sort of all over the place mentally.  At first I was okay because I knew I was going to have to take time off.  Then it got really difficult getting used to having the time off.  After that it got a little better as you become more accustomed to your new routine of not running.  Now I am in the, "Oh my god what the hell is wrong with me I'm never going to heal and I really must have broken myself" phase.  I am going to PT and doing all of my prescribed exercises, but nothing is really changing.

Running is dumb.

GabrielleB

No athlete will go forever without being sidelined. Perspective helps. Heal up and get back on the horse as soon as you are cleared. Three or six months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Mean time, hit the gym or pool religiously.

Do add me to those who sympathize/empathize. I recently spent 3 months sidelined for a high ankle sprain. I hit the gym every opportunity I could. I simply could not remain inactive. It kept me sane.

#artbydmcbride

I volunteered at water stations and took out my jealousy by boring the crap out of the able-bodied runners with tales of my non-running woes.  Big grin

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Carrying a calorie deficit is easy-peasy when there is no risk of bonking miles from home.

I find I'm the opposite...if I can't run (or do some other kind of exercise) I have difficulty keeping the calories within budget.  On "off" days like today, for example.  So hungry...

MTA: Anyway, my sympathies, fitfatboy!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

tomatolover

my mental state when out of commission: downright depressed.

I don't want to see runners, be around runners, or even look at my running shoes.  Everything - from my head to bowels - take a beating when I'm not running (a little bit TMI, i know, but my normal morning shits are dictated these days by a regular running schedule- go figure.)

I don't have an alternative activity i even remotely enjoy as much as running, so I pretty much cry a lot and generally become a bitch to everyone i know....

bluerun

Super B****

I don't want to see runners, be around runners, or even look at my running shoes.  Everything - from my head to bowels - take a beating when I'm not running (a little bit TMI, i know, but my normal morning shits are dictated these days by a regular running schedule- go figure.)

I don't have an alternative activity i even remotely enjoy as much as running, so I pretty much cry a lot and generally become a bitch to everyone i know....

Yep... that's me exactly.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

In the middle of a one-week enforced break right now. I've been happier.

NHLA

I do lots of core work .  Tai Chi keeps me from going crazy.

GinnyinPA

Running and hiking are my way of dealing with chronic depression.  When I run or hike, I'm good; when I don't, I get really unhappy.  I was sidelined for about 9 months with a pelvic stress fracture.  The first two months, I lost weight, because I was too depressed to eat, but I was continuing to walk and do the stationary bike.  Then I was put on total rest, because I wasn't healing, and the weight went up a bit.  Then I started walking again, but was still having pain, and the weight went up a bit more.  Then I started running, but had to stop after two weeks when the pain came back, and I really gained weight.  So - bottom line, I get very sad, and either stop eating or eat junk.

When I thought I'd never be able to run again, I had a very hard time dealing with it.  When I decided to run anyway, my mood improved a lot, but I am very aware that if I get another sfx, I may have to stop running completely.  That is not happiness.

jackdyl11

This is definitely me.  It dawns on me quickly that I don't do ANYTHING except for running, working, and being with my family.  Without running I become a total pain in the ass.  A doctor told me last week that my big toe was going to lose mobiity, that the beginning signs of it were causing the shooting pains I've been getting for the last few weeks, and that I would eventually be unable to run.  I went straight to cake and alcohol. However, a chiropractor told me yesterday that he could get me back up in time for my long run this weekend, so now I'm fine again.  Not hitting my workouts for just a few weeks, even though I was still running a little bit, has been tough enough, so I have a lot of sympathy and respect for those of you that kept it together while being out for months.

bluerun

Super B****

This is definitely me.  It dawns on me quickly that I don't do ANYTHING except for running, working, and being with my family.  Without running I become a total pain in the ass.  A doctor told me last week that my big toe was going to lose mobiity, that the beginning signs of it were causing the shooting pains I've been getting for the last few weeks, and that I would eventually be unable to run.  I went straight to cake and alcohol. However, a chiropractor told me yesterday that he could get me back up in time for my long run this weekend, so now I'm fine again.  Not hitting my workouts for just a few weeks, even though I was still running a little bit, has been tough enough, so I have a lot of sympathy and respect for those of you that kept it together while being out for months.

Whoa, now -- who said anything about keeping it together??  I consider it a victory that I was never arrested and didn't kill anyone, but that's not really the same thing.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Boy, I'm feeling this a lot this year.  First I had major surgery (unrelated to running) and a couple weeks ago I had to stop due to PF.

I guess the way I cope is embracing the crosstraining.  I've always done sports or exercise other than running, so it's not like I have NOTHING... still, it feels like having a huge part of myself ripped out.  I get depressed, I cry more, I talk way too much about my old PRs while half-believing I will never accomplish them again, I get so jealous of other runners, my body image is terrible... it's just bad.

I guess what I try to do is use my 'hardcore athlete' mentality to push myself a lot in other ways, like the PT stuff and the crosstraining.  BUT then the insidious realization that I only push myself REALLY hard when running [because it's what I'm best at] creeps in...

I guess I'd say my mindset is one of great insecurity, self-doubt, and depression.  For this I go to therapy.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hoodoo Guru

I had a self-diagnosed stress fracture a little over a year ago and took some time off from running.  I did some exercise bike and some work with weights to stay fit.  I enjoy time off from running every once in a while so it's not a huge mental issue for me.  I do volunteer at races more when injured in order to keep in touch with my running friends.  I also spend less time on running forums.  It seems like I'm cheating somehow to lurk here if I'm not running.

The tangents are moot.

tracilynn

Its kind of depressing to me that you can still have a stress reaction after 10 years of running.  Hasn't the body adapted to the pounding by then?

I am one week off due to shin splints.  I've had 3 breaks also due to ITB.  I also have a pain in my left foot that is likely peroneal tendonitis (or something equally horrible).  I'm starting to worry that I am doomed or have some deformity or something.

Running is my prozac but running is causing me to go crazy too.  Sometimes I think it would be easier to just take the prozac.

~~~~~~~

Traci

keeponrunning

Running and hiking are my way of dealing with chronic depression.  When I run or hike, I'm good; when I don't, I get really unhappy.  I

+1.  I've had 2 injuries in my running life, and both completely and utterly SUCKED.  No other word for it.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022