How loyal are you to the local running store? (Read 897 times)

Non ducor, duco.

I have to buy some shoes this weekend and I feel guilty if I don't get them from the local guys that sponsor the races. Anyone else?
    Jill_B

I fly.

I wish there was a local running store here, I miss the great service they offer!

Bring it on.

we went to Road Runner last night to get dh shoes and I stupidly thought I might get mine there. The guys are complete A$$holes. I hate that store. Their CS sucks big hairy balls and the idiots are completely clueless about their products. I don't know if I'm more pissed off at them or myself for knowing what that place is like and thinking I would ever have a satisfying retail encounter there. Angry Having gotten that off my chest (whew!), yes, I will continue to frequent the 2 smaller running stores in town.

Jennifer mm#1231

Hey, nice marmot!

I patronize the local running store more for the people than for the shoes. Sure, I could get my Sauconys online and probably save $10-$20ish, but I make it a point to buy from the local stores because I value the knowledge base it provides. The guys at Pacers (store around here) really know their stuff and can offer some really good advice. And, if/when Saucony discontinues their Triumph line, I will greatly benefit from the knowledge at the local store. Simply put, if local shops don't get enough customers, they go out of business. If you're fine with that, then get your shoes from the cheapest vendor. If not, patronize the local guys. Either way, I don't think guilt needs to come into it, unless of course it's your brother or somebody who owns the shop.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

mikeymike

Not very, and my sister manages a running specialty store. I know what I need and shop mostly by price and availability. Sometimes I'll go into a store if I'm in the neihborhood and need something. But I buy most of my shoes online. I find most running specialty stores are not geared to me.

Runners run

We finally got a branch of Runtex nearby and the store is great. I went in with ITB issues and got better shoes for me and some new stretches to try. Besides that, I got hooked up with a running group/class that's ideal for me (as well as being local) and with a chiropractor who got my knee pain free in one session and gave me the tools to keep it that way. So, yes, I buy mine at the running store because I don't want them to shut down!
                I buy from a local store for most of the above stated reasons. However I recently purchased a pair of shoes online because nobody carries them locally. Pearl Izumi SyncroPace (old model shoe) so I ordered it from the Pearl Izumi online store on closeout... I don't feel guilty for that. In the case of $10... most of the stores local give me a 10% discount for being a member of a running club... and if I have to spend 10 to get something local I rather do it because if there is a problem with the shoe they WILL make it right...

Runner

I buy from the local store because they help with speed workouts, sponsor races, and show genuine interest in me as a runner. They have helped get me, my girlfriend, my parents, and many of my friends with shoes that have helped them be injury free. Also for anyone who thinks you can get it cheaper on the net why not ask the local guy if he can match the price. They may can do it or may can not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also join local track clubs because often they will give you a discount for belonging.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Feeling the growl again

Not at all....owned by Bob Kennedy and I STILL can't find my shoes there. They have to order them and I have to make a second trip downtown....for the cost of gas it's cheaper to order online and have them shipped.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If they have what I want, I'll buy there. But more often than not, they don't have what I want, and I have to order it online anyway. It's a 40 mi drive to Anchorage and a pain to park in downtown area, so I generally only go when I can take a bus into a conference and walk from the hotel to the shoe store (long lunch breaks). I've had mixed results with sales folks. Some are very good. Some not so good. And I know enough about what works for me now, that they don't try to sell me something that doesn't fit those criteria.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      sluggo

John

New England Running Company rocks. They support the local running community, have a great and knowledgeable staff, have just about anything I want for running, and have taken good care of me when I had a problem. I buy almost all of my stuff from them and send everyone I meet their way.

John
                        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Mr R

My policy was always to support the local store when it was at all reasonable. They usually gave me as good a deal as I could find online, whether I asked for it or not. I would also try to order gear through them, if they didn't have something in stock. Exceptions: if a shoe is on closeout online, I'd buy it there. If something was backordered, and the store was having trouble getting it, I'd track it down myself. The way I saw it, I was paying a nominal membership fee to a great club. Through the years, running store staff have been my coaches and friends. When I first moved to a new city, the local running store hooked me up with a team. These days, I'm not really supporting the store by shopping there, since I generally get gear at-cost, but that fact alone has convinced me that I was always right to support these stores. Many running stores sink serious cash into racing teams that probably don't produce big advertising returns. Yet, I flatter myself to think that the local running scene is richer because there are competitive runners around (from post collegiate to masters). Their support helps to make that possible, especially for the kids just out of college, who can't afford to spend potentially 1-2 grand/year on shoes and race fees. That said, I don't think that it's a moral imperative to support your running store if you feel it provides nothing of value to you. Not all stores are created equal. Not all runners care about having a community hub (though I suspect everyone on this forum does--it is, after all, another kind of community hub). Just ask yourself, "is it worth 5 dollars to me that this place is here?"

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

jeffdonahue

I'm pretty loyal to mine (though they just got bought out by a slightly larger chain, so who knows in the future). But I love the service, the prices arent that much more and I usually have a 10% off coupon because they give them out at all the local races. Plus, they have a great return policy. I can wear the shoes for a month and beat them into the ground and if I dont think they are right for me I can return them, no questions asked. If that service changes now that they have changed owners, I can always find another store (though not as close as this one - 1/2 mile from my house) or buy online because I do know what I need for shoes.
                              we went to Road Runner last night to get dh shoes and I stupidly thought I might get mine there. The guys are complete A$$holes. I hate that store. Their CS sucks big hairy balls and the idiots are completely clueless about their products. I don't know if I'm more pissed off at them or myself for knowing what that place is like and thinking I would ever have a satisfying retail encounter there. Angry Having gotten that off my chest (whew!), yes, I will continue to frequent the 2 smaller running stores in town.
                              Lifesabeach, I'm just a bit unclear as to your experience. How do you really feel? Shocked Big grin I'm across the country from Road Runner, but I've ordered a couple of things from them. Shipping response is OK, but good luck if you have to contact them and actually speak to a human being... I'm fairly loyal to my local store. It really comes down to price. If I can get it there cheapest, that's great. if I know what i need and the local mega-sports store (Dick's Sporting Goods) has it cheaper, I go there. But... if I go to the local store for advice or information, I buy there. I think it really sucks when people will go and "pick the local experts' brains", taking 30-60 minutes of their time, and then walk out and buy somewhere else.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Non ducor, duco.

Lifesabeach, I'm just a bit unclear as to your experience. How do you really feel? Shocked Big grin. But... if I go to the local store for advice or information, I buy there. I think it really sucks when people will go and "pick the local experts' brains", taking 30-60 minutes of their time, and then walk out and buy somewhere else.
                                That is exactly what I was thinking. I have some other things I need to get and I know I could go to one mega-store and get it all in one place. However, I have benefited from the advice of the small guys so much. I guess if I would get off the computer I would have time to go to both places!