Hey, that dog just bit me! (Read 1376 times)

mbk

I was getting in some extra miles before our Team in Training practice tonight when I was bit by a dog! I was running on a narrow sidewalk next to a canal when I approached a man walking his dog on a retractable leash. He didn’t have his finger on the trigger and the dog growled, lunged at me and caught me on the right knee. It happened so quickly that I didn’t even stop, just yelled a few choice words. Because I was in motion I actually pulled my knee out of the dog’s mouth, dragging his teeth across the skin. Luckily it didn’t hurt much and I finished the run. I had some cool wounds and blood so I felt like a tough guy. Wink After that I met up with my Team in Training group and we ran the same route – actually passed the same dog (I yelled a few more choice words) but his owner was keeping him well off the trail. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. Luckily no harm done, but it could have been worse. Probably the knee was the best place to be bitten since there's not much to actually bite off.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Augmentin. Dog mouths have loads of nasties in em. Augmentin. And Animal control. That dog owner is irresponsible at best and liable at worst. And I am a BIG dog fan. But that is not excusable.

That guy should have better control of his dog and if it is going to lunge at people should be muzzled. The last time that a dog "attacked" me while I was running wasn't the owner's fault - he tried holding the dog in but he slipped and fell on some ice. The dog didn't actually attack me; he did bite my jacket but he just wanted to play and was just enthusiastically friendly. Every other time I've passed that guy him and the dog were both well behaved. I have called animal control over dogs allowed to roam free, though, that attacked myself or some people I was running with. One was near my apartment in college. That guy didn't like me very much and gave me the evil eye every time he was outside and I ran by. He didn't like that I'd called animal control on him twice, but it kept him from letting the dog out when we were running. Of course, one summer the dog attacked a kid on a bicycle and then had to be put down, but I still don't blame the dog for that. Definitely the owner's fault.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

invisible

mbk, The first thing you do is find out if the dog has been vaccinated against rabies. Don't take the owners word on it. Demand to see the dog tag. If it hasn't been vaccinated, call the police.
          90 percent of the game is not giving up.
          invisible

to continue... That will set the legal and medical wheels in motion.
            90 percent of the game is not giving up.
            mbk

mbk, The first thing you do is find out if the dog has been vaccinated against rabies. Don't take the owners word on it. Demand to see the dog tag. If it hasn't been vaccinated, call the police.
              This is, of course, what my wife said, but I didn't think of it at the time. So I have no way to do that other than go back to the same area at the same time and try to find the guy. So hopefully this won't be a problem.
              JakeKnight

Augmentin.
                What's the medical story on dog bites these days? They don't do the whole "you have to get rabies shots if you don't know the dog" thing any more? I was bitten as a kid and I remember my parents spending a whole panicked day hunting the dog and its owner down just so I could avoid the shots. They don't do that anymore? Please to explain.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Oh Mighty Wing

OMG please tell me your tetnas (sp) is up to date!!! If not GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! You can get a serious serious (life threatening even) infection from animal saliva! If the area turns red and warm get yourself to the hospital! If it gets vainey you are in big trouble! (i know i make it sound serious and that's because it can be!! My fiance was bit by my dog - not the one pictured - and he cleaned it out and put off going to the doctor even though i said to and two days later he comes home says his arm is sore. I force him to the hospital and they have to give him IV antibiotics because he got this crazy infection. Then he had to be on normal antibiotics for the next 3 weeks.)

Imminent Catastrophe

What's the medical story on dog bites these days? They don't do the whole "you have to get rabies shots if you don't know the dog" thing any more?
                    I had a friend in grade school who got bitten by a dog and had to go through the whole rabies shot series, the old-school ones with the very long syringe, 20 shots in the stomach. Medieval!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

OMG please tell me your tetnas (sp) is up to date!!! If not GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! You can get a serious serious (life threatening even) infection from animal saliva! If the area turns red and warm get yourself to the hospital! If it gets vainey you are in big trouble! (i know i make it sound serious and that's because it can be!! My fiance was bit by my dog - not the one pictured - and he cleaned it out and put off going to the doctor even though i said to and two days later he comes home says his arm is sore. I force him to the hospital and they have to give him IV antibiotics because he got this crazy infection. Then he had to be on normal antibiotics for the next 3 weeks.)
                      About five years ago I had to spend a night in the ER after our friend's dog (a big playful Pit Bull) just licked my hand a lot. I had some scratches on my hand from yard work but I didn't think much of it. It took a day but while I was on a school trip as a chaperone I noticed a red streak going up my arm from my hand. As soon as I got back to the school I called the dr. and was told to get to the ER. Sure enough, they admitted me. At that point the streak was already just past the bend of my elbow.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's the medical story on dog bites these days? They don't do the whole "you have to get rabies shots if you don't know the dog" thing any more? I was bitten as a kid and I remember my parents spending a whole panicked day hunting the dog and its owner down just so I could avoid the shots. They don't do that anymore? Please to explain.
                        If they can find and test the dog, wait for the results. By "test the dog", I mean check if it has been vaccinated or if it has the virus. If unsure, you can give rabies shots (vaccine and antibodies). In my career, we have only had to do this once. The two things folks don't think about are the more common issues: 1. Dog (and other animal) bites can lead to tetanus. As the other poster said, make sure your tetanus is up to date. EVERYBODY should be getting this every ten years. 2. Dog mouths are pretty dirty in terms of being polymicrobial. Augmentin should be taken in every case of a dog bite. Some of the nasty dog mouth bugs can kill you pretty quickly if the infection takes hold and spreads.
                        mbk

Well, my leg looks fine and there is no visible sign of infection. However, just to cover all my bases I'm going to see my doctor this afternoon; while I'm there I'll get a tetanus booster. Next time I see a dog I'll either kick it or just turn around and run the other way. What a hassle.

Next time I see a dog I'll either kick it or just turn around and run the other way. What a hassle.
                            I won't hesitate to kick a dog that attacks me, but unless it goes after you again you shouldn't kick it if you see it again. Kick the owner instead. He at least might have a chance of remembering why he's getting attacked.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mbk

I won't hesitate to kick a dog that attacks me, but unless it goes after you again you shouldn't kick it if you see it again. Kick the owner instead. He at least might have a chance of remembering why he's getting attacked.
                              I wouldn't really kick it; I'm too nice. I wouldn't kick the owner either, I don't think it was his fault (the dog was on a leash after all). However I will take a closer look at dogs I approach to make sure I think I'm safe.
                                If they can find and test the dog, wait for the results. By "test the dog", I mean check if it has been vaccinated or if it has the virus. If unsure, you can give rabies shots (vaccine and antibodies). In my career, we have only had to do this once. The two things folks don't think about are the more common issues: 1. Dog (and other animal) bites can lead to tetanus. As the other poster said, make sure your tetanus is up to date. EVERYBODY should be getting this every ten years. 2. Dog mouths are pretty dirty in terms of being polymicrobial. Augmentin should be taken in every case of a dog bite. Some of the nasty dog mouth bugs can kill you pretty quickly if the infection takes hold and spreads.
                                I haven't been to a doctor in a billion and a 1/2 years. I had no idea tetanus was something that needed to be "kept up." Thanks for the info...guess I better get to a doctor. Maybe.