Red Meat (Read 946 times)

Hello All, I don't know if anyone else goes through this but as I increase my miles, I have more of a craving for red meat... hamburgers, steak. you name it. I really used to care less if I ever ate it, maybe had it once a week, but now I find myself wanting it more and more. Is this normal? Gin

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

I definitely get this craving, especially after races. The last few times we've eaten out I've ordered steak and yesterday a had a big, juicy hamburger. Maybe your body is telling you to eat more protein/iron.
        Hello All, I don't know if anyone else goes through this but as I increase my miles, I have more of a craving for red meat... hamburgers, steak. you name it. I really used to care less if I ever ate it, maybe had it once a week, but now I find myself wanting it more and more. Is this normal? Gin
        I had a craving for a meatball sub during a half marathon race. Big grin So have you increase your red meat consumption?

Vim

over 9000!!!

^^ I agree. Sometimes the body sends signals to our brain to trigger hunger for certain things that we need. Like if you are low on Vit C you may crave oranges and such. This is why, scientists believe, that women get strange cravings while pregnant. Because they need extra nutrients and maybe only a bizzare mix of foods will give you what you need. IDK, all i know is that is one hell of an excuse to go have a fat juicy steak! hmmmm steak... btw- red meat is the only substance naturally occuring on the planet that a human being can live off... indefinatly. no, you may not be 100% healthy but you will live. if you only ate soybeans and that is it, you would eventually die! har har take that vegtabletarians
            Well, I'm definitely NOT a vegetarian! Yes, when I feel the need, I order it! If I ever get to the point of marathon status, I can imagine I would want a meatball sub halfway through as well-- with lots of mozz! Ahhh, I try to be, but completely healthy, I am not! Thanks so much for your input. I like the idea of my body signaling that I need something that is lacking. I never knew how intuitive I could be!

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

finney

Resident pinniped

Yep, happens to me too and not just with meat. I want sugar and salt after most of my runs, unless it was a really short/really easy run. If I step up my milage and/or my activity I start wanting cheese. The day after races I usually want meat. Around "that time of the month" I crave beef jerky. If I've been eating a lot of carbs (bad, I know, but sometimes one is busy and eating to not die more than to keep nourished) I want orange juice. I totally believe that your body will tell you what it wants.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

red meat is the only substance naturally occuring on the planet that a human being can live off... indefinatly.
                Um. What is your source for this factoid?

Ostrich runner

I need to hang out after races more. Maybe I'll do really well Big grin

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

My legs are killing me

I get cravings too after long runs but it is usually for something sweet. I think one of the great things about running is it lets you give in to these cravings without feeling too guilty.
                      Um. What is your source for this factoid?
                      Well, I'm not him, but, I can reference a few things... not necessarily that meat is the only thing we could live on alone(though I wouldn't be surprised), but, at least that we certainly can(edit: can live on meat alone healthily): http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson2.htm ^^ This is the most famous: The author and subject of the original studies on meat only diets, went to live with the Inuit Eskimo's. He found that they lived on a diet consisting primarily of the blubber/fat of seal. He lived this way with them for years... then came back home and later on participated in a study based on his findings.
                      I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy

Supa Dupa Fly

Well, I'm not him, but, I can reference a few things...
                        lol, actually you are "him". Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                        ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                          Well, I'm not him, but, I can reference a few things... not necessarily that meat is the only thing we could live on alone(though I wouldn't be surprised), but, at least that we certainly can(edit: can live on meat alone healthily): http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson2.htm ^^ This is the most famous: The author and subject of the original studies on meat only diets, went to live with the Inuit Eskimo's. He found that they lived on a diet consisting primarily of the blubber/fat of seal. He lived this way with them for years... then came back home and later on participated in a study based on his findings.
                          Wow, great site... all kinds of useful information on there! "Myth No. 1 - Exercise Will Make You Lose Weight and Cure Obesity." "Myth No. 2 - Exercise Will Prevent Heart Disease." "Myth No. 3 - Exercise Will Prevent Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X." "Myth No. 4 - Running and Bicycling are Healthy Exercises." "Myth No. 5 - Humans are Natural Born Runners." "Myth No. 6 - Carbohydrates are Needed for Energy." "Myth No. 7 - Runners Should Eat a Low-Fat Diet." "Myth No. 8 - Exercise Reverses Heart Disease." "Myth No. 9 - Exercise Will Build Up the Body." "Myth No. 10 - Red Meat Causes Kidney Damage and Cancer." http://www.biblelife.org/exercise.htm Guess we should all quit running. Tongue
                            Wow, great site... all kinds of useful information on there! Guess we should all quit running. Tongue
                            Um... yeah, obviously I wasn't promoting a site. I was promoting information. The particular writings I pulled from there are from a man long dead and had no association with that website. It's well documented information. Google it if you'd like it from a different site.
                            I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
                              Um... yeah, obviously I wasn't promoting a site. I was promoting information. The particular writings I pulled from there are from a man long dead and had no association with that website. It's well documented information. Google it if you'd like it from a different site.
                              Yeah, I didn't mean to say you were, just thought that was funny. Smile
                                Here ya go... exact same thesis from 1935, totally different site. Smile http://www.apinchofhealth.com/resources/lowcarb/stefansson-adventures-in-diet-part-two.html