Best & Worst 2012 Purchases (Read 1314 times)

lagwagon

Best:  North Face "better than naked" shirt (awesome!)

runners up: Garmin 610; Saucony Guide 5; Northface BTN jacket

Worst:  Asics Core Pocket Shorts (good price but crap material)

runner up:  Northface BTN Shorts (great fabric, hated the liner)

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Best: Saucony Grid Type A5 racing flats. Love these shoes! Worst: Asics Gel-Excel33...sooooo mushy, gave me awful hip pain. Non running related best: Dansko clogs. They're ugly but so comfortable. When I'm not in court I wear them around the office at work. They really help keep my feet from getting tired and then I feel better for my runs. Non running related worst: Organic shampoo. The stuff sucks. It doesn't even lather.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Dyumbest thing I ever bought...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ncjYnLgxyCI

:-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

I wish someone would make a zero drop shoe with the cushion of a typical lightweight trainer , though.

I think that is what Altras are supposed to be.

From the website:

"An upgrade from the original award-winning shoe, The Instinct™ is the first shoe to truly marry the form-improving benefits of a minimalist shoe with the comfort, cushioning and support of a traditional running shoe. The Zero Drop™ platform and innovative foot-shaped design work together to help runners maintain proper running technique and reduce joint impact while freeing their toes to help alleviate foot pain. Trust your instincts and experience the world’s first fully cushioned, foot-shaped, Zero Drop™ running shoe."

--

Nashville, TN

sugnim

Best purchase:  My Asics GT 2000 gore tex running shoes.  I love them.

Worst purchase:  Marathon training class in March.  Running twice each week with over 200 people is highly annoying.  I quit after about 3 weeks.

sugnim

Best:  North Face "better than naked" shirt (awesome!)

I had to google that one.  It sounds pretty awesome.  It looks like they make better than naked shorts & capris too.

Didn't buy that much this year!

Best running related purchase - Lululemon running socks.  These are so awesome, even compared to "wright socks" which I used to wear.  No blisters!!!

Worst - Vibram 5 fingers.  I think I have 12 miles on those in the past 12 months.  Sad

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Basically... run!

in the running category:

Best:  Saucony Progrid Peregine shoes - stumbled upon them at a local discount store (only $30) - they fit my feet perfectly, are so lightweight and just feel great out running!

Worst:  PowerBar Energy Blasts (gel filled chews) - taste fine, but  way too hard - didn't plan on including a breath-impeding jaw workout during the run.  

un-running related:

Best:  HTC One - first new cell phone in 3 years - of course it's a billion times better than the old one!

Worst:  Infinite Jest - technically not a purchase, this book was last year's christmas present (it's my own fault since i mentioned to my brother that i checked it out from the library, but had to return it when just a few hundred pages in).  i managed to slog through the 1000 some odd pages in only 10 months.  while i didn't absolutely hate the book (there were actually some parts i liked), i can't say it was worth the $18 cover price or the countless hours i spent reading it.

some call me Tim

Best running related: Salomon Speedcross 3's. Wonderful in so many ways, and the only reason I've been able to continue training in all conditions.

Best tangentially running related: Aerostitch(Geier) elkskin roper gloves. Good articulation and they can take a hell of a beating. A necessity when clearing downed trees and beating back briars = having a trail to run on.

Worst: Eastbay running shorts. Eh, you get what you pay for, but I won't go *there* again. The liner is particularly... odd.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Best running: Nike Free Run 3

Best cycling: 2013 Salsa El Mariachi 3 mtn bike, Gore Oxygen shorts, Garmin Edge 500

Best Other: iPad w/retina disp.

Worst: buying the dirt -- see also my broken wrist thread (this will cost us in copays/deductible) 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Loves the outdoors

Best running purchase - My Injinji socks.

Worst running purchase - Gu, I just hate the stuff. Can't do it.

Best other - My iphone. I've only had a smartphone for a month, but I am in love. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Best: Garmin Forerunner 210

Haven't purchased much else besides sox and shoes.

Imminent Catastrophe

Best: UltrAspire Kinetic race vest. Damn, two bottles, plenty of other stuff, and no chafing. 

Worst: Race registrations that I couldn't run. More money down the drain.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Running:  Luna Leadvilles with ATS laces, Nathan Speedbelt 2, Honeystinger Chews

Non-running:  Everything bought for my new granddaughter!!

Patagonia Down Sweater (50% off at their July sale)

Birdwell

Best- ultraspire omega vest. Best. Vest. Ever. light years beyond anything by Nathan or Camlebak. 

Second best, smartwool socks 

worst- nike shoes. First pair of nike's I've had in over 15 years. I remember why it's been 15 years between pairs.