Car vs. Biker -- biker wins! (Read 1736 times)

Right on Hereford...

I just have to share this story because it has a happy ending, unlike most car vs. biker stories.

Mrs. Dakota was riding home last night in the freezing rain and dark. Not exactly a comfortable experience, but it was about to get worse.

The scene:

Mrs. D is headed north on a residential street. Bike is equipped with front and rear safety lights, both lights turned on and clearly visible. She is approaching an intersection.

Lady Oblivious is heading west on a cross street, also approaching that same intersection. Lady O. has a stop sign.

Lady O. stops, and then -- without once looking where she's going -- makes a left turn onto Mrs. D's street, heading straight for Mrs. D, who is now in the intersection and directly in Lady O's path.

Here is where the story would normally take a tragic turn. Screeching tires (or worse, no screeching tires), sickening thud, cyclist sent to hospital or morgue.

But wait!

Mrs. D has moves! In an almost unbelievable display of agility, she leaps onto the hood of Lady O's car, pulling her bike up off the street with her. Lady O is so oblivious that she didn't even hit the brakes until she noticed an extremely pissed-off cyclist standing on the hood of her car, bike in hand.

Talk about a wake up call to all oblivious drivers.

In another unusual twist, Lady O. was completely apologetic and asked Mrs. D. what she could do.

"You can listen to me bitch you out," said my wife.

And she did just that.

A Saucy Wench

awesome! 

dh has done that while running, but to pull the bike up with her, that is some serious coordination that I can not comprehend. 

I was thinking the  cleats on the shoes would have done some serious damage to the hood of the car, but if she managed that with clipless I am super-awed.  (and will someone PLEASE explain to me why clipped in are called clipless?)

I like the confrontation at the end too.  Because that surge of adrenalin NEEDED to be released so really, taking her scolding was the right thing to do.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Woa.  I am guessing she was not "clipped in" to the bike. Or else she disengaged both feet from the clips before jumping onto the hood, bike in hand.  Either way, that's pretty wild. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lazy idiot

Mrs. D has moves! In an almost unbelievable display of agility, she leaps onto the hood of Lady O's car, pulling her bike up off the street with her. Lady O is so oblivious that she didn't even hit the brakes until she noticed an extremely pissed-off cyclist standing on the hood of her car, bike in hand.

I've been trying to replay this in my head, and I've come to one conclusion:

your wife is a ninja.

Seriously, though, glad to hear she came out of it okay.  I've had a few close encounters with cars recently myself.

Tick tock

wow -- that's scary close to awful ending.  Glad nobody was hurt. 

Bike on hood -- I am picturing an x-games move.

2012= under-goaled

Slo

Thanks for sharing Dakota

As a daily bike commuter I can relate. I've had a few close calls and when you are as vulnerable as you are on a bike these incidences get seared into your memory.

This may sound ridiculous and probably raises questions of sanity or at least my decision making capability but I've often said it's not "IF" I get hit by a car.....it's WHEN.

I'm glad it turned out. It could easiy have had a different outcome.

I hope she keeps riding.

I was thinking the  cleats on the shoes would have done some serious damage to the hood of the car, but if she managed that with clipless I am super-awed.  (and will someone PLEASE explain to me why clipped in are called clipless?)"

In my brief attempt at biking then realizing this town is way too biker unfriendly to even bother, it seems like I read that this refers to the lack of having to use the toe clips or cages that actually go over your feet to hold them onto the pedal.

Right on Hereford...

I was thinking the  cleats on the shoes would have done some serious damage to the hood of the car, but if she managed that with clipless I am super-awed.  (and will someone PLEASE explain to me why clipped in are called clipless?)

Yes, SPD cleats, and yes, serious damage to the hood of the car.

My wife asked me last night, "Was it wrong of me to grind my cleats into the hood while I was standing there?"

Drew, yes she does have ninja qualities. And, she was a high jumper in college. Still, I don't know how she managed to do that, either. Wish I had seen it.

Ennay, RE: "clipless" pedals...

Here are old-school things called "toe clips."

When they came out with the things pictured below (what my wife was using)...

They didn't know what to call them. They didn't have toe clips, so they called them clipless.

These sweets pics are making me want to break out the old bike...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jfa

Most excellent tale. Score one for the good guys(gals)!

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Epic!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mrs. D needs a superhero cape with a big D on it--that is awesomely awesome! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

pfriese

WOW!

Glad she's OK. Wife standing in cleats on car hood ! Bike on car hood ! Getting some satisfaction from oblivious driver ! Priceless (worth even more with video)!

Once again really glad she won the encounter!

WOW!

Dave

Dude!

That's gotta be better than being married to a gymnast or one of those professionals on Dancing with the Stars!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Why is it sideways?

I've met Mrs. D. She is not to be messed with.