Bonk City (Read 1030 times)

Well, today was an 18-miler for me (the longest run of my life). I did it on the treadmill at the gym. I finished the 18 miles, but near the end I was doing more walking that running. It took me 3:35, when I normally run at a 9:30-10:00 mm pace for long runs. I ate a bagel with lite cream cheese and a turbo coffee from dunkin donuts about 25-30 min before run. I woke up kind of thirsty and probably didn't hydrate well. I also did not have any kind of low fiber complex carbs the night before. I had a little grapefruit juice with me on the treadmill but not that much. Oh! And I sweat like crazy and was drenched about 2/5 into the run in a heavily air-conditioned gym. Might I need special clothing, including sweat-wicking socks? I got off the mill pretty discouraged. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. As a side note - and this comes from an inexperienced, slow, unfocused runner - but there was a dude next to me on the next mill walking slowly and holding onto the display panel for dear life. It sort of took me out of the game and psyched me out a bit. Should it have?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Sorry I opened this thread because I thought Bonkin was here...... but now that I know I am thinking that 3 hours plus some, on a treadmill would make me dreary. Be proud that you did it. Why didn't you go outside? Jilly
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

A Saucy Wench

Did you hydrate while running? Sounds like you ran out of fuel and possibly fluids Personally the fact that you ran 18 miles on a treadmill deserves some kind of award. I cant stand 18 minutes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks guys. I probably could have done better in the refueling/hydrating on the run dept. Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'd say you should feel pretty darn proud of yourself for running 18 miles on a treadmill...and you say you are not exeprienced? Of course there are things you could do to make it go more smoothly next time. For one thing, allowing more time between your last bite and your run might help. A banana or some kind of energy bar sounds like a better choice than a cream cheese turbo and coffee too...cream cheese before a run? Ugh. And as others have said, being well hydrated is a big deal on long runs. Not only should you drink before, but also during. As far as the sweating, we are always going to sweat a lot on the 'mill because the air is still. Personally, I like havning the sweat drip off me but if you don't, turn on a fan. Way to go on the 18
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Eighteen miles on a treadmill? You must be catatonic by now. I once did 22 on a track and that was bad enough. It was a week before I could walk a straight line. Wink Your problem was more likely hydration related not food related. Your body has to work a lot harder to stay cool on a treadmill because of the lack of air movement, and it sounds like you may have been dehydrated before you even started. In the future, plan ahead on your long runs and get well hydrated the day before your long run. It will also help to carb load. Eighteen miles is getting close to the point where your glycogen supplies will be running low. Carb loading the 2-3 days before you run can increase the amount of glycogen stored in your muscles by as much as 50%. Tom

A Saucy Wench

Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                Seriously? Is there a reason for that? ummm....this far in to your marathon training, how many miles do you have on pavement vs on treadmill?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

If you were mildly dehydrated going into the run then I think you did a pretty good job. Hydration starts the day before and continues after the run. If you get thirsty then you already behind and have a problem. While trying to catch up the body can only absorb so much at one time and the rest passes through. You really can not catch up while you are exercising. 18 miles on a treadmill, good grief
                  http://www.marathoncoach.org

All business

...my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                    I'm not sure there's a rule about it, but there was just an article in Runner's World (Jan 08, "A Chilling Effect") that cited a study which said between 36 and 52 degs F was optimized performance. I dread the treadmill, so i prefer to layer up and go outside.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F.
                      you are joking right?
                      JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I think that he must be. I decided it must have been a joke..... Undecided or sarcasm......
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                        JakeKnight

you are joking right?
                          I suspect NaderAlfie has been telling quite a few jokes in his many recent posts.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                            Yes. Run when you want to run. By yesterday afternoon in Jersey it was very nice outside. And today was nice as well. You've just got to dress correctly. I can easily work up a sweat when it's 20 degrees out. Congratulations on the 18 miles on the treadmill. The most I can go without being catatonic is 5 miles. I would much rather be outside.
                            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hydration issues probably played a factor. Perhaps nutrition did as well. Also, when you're increasin gyour distance, the first time at a distance can be rough. Hydrate a bit better next time. That and the fact that you've gone that fare before will most certainly make for a better outing next time.

The voice of mile 18

what did you eat on the run besides some grapefruit juice? over 3 hrs running/walking without food will cause a bonk

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy