The Mile (Read 585 times)

Just a dude.

Thanks for the advice, Kelly!

I can run 3-6 miles. I do about 3-4 usually 3 times a week..

If you are doing 3-4 miles mostly easy 3 times a week, and then on the other days doing your 20 second surges for a mile or two, I think that's a pretty good plan.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

vegefrog

The mile is scary as shit

Oh well. That's fantastic. HA. We have a mile race here this Sunday and I've never raced a mile so, of course, I came to see if any of you guru's had something to say about it. Lucky me! Seems like there's a lot of mile racing going on. Haven't really trained for it, but I did do 8x 400 last night on the 1:30...I'd love to do my mile in under 6, but 6:15 is probably a more realistic goal. As always thanks to all of you for your entertaining and (mostly) useful advice!

NJRunner24

If you are doing 3-4 miles mostly easy 3 times a week, and then on the other days doing your 20 second surges for a mile or two, I think that's a pretty good plan.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Just an update, 10 days till the test. I ran the mile today at 95% on the local high school track in 7:04 with lap times of 1:37, 1:47, 1:53, 1:46. For some background I ran 2-3 miles yesterday at a strong pace and I would say my legs started to tighten after only the first 200m. Just stuck it out. I think I may have came out too strong on the first lap..I don't expect to improve too much, I believe I'll hit around 6:50 on the test but of course I'm going to try the best I can.

-Dom

Just a dude.

Just an update, 10 days till the test. I ran the mile today at 95% on the local high school track in 7:04 with lap times of 1:37, 1:47, 1:53, 1:46. For some background I ran 2-3 miles yesterday at a strong pace and I would say my legs started to tighten after only the first 200m. Just stuck it out. I think I may have came out too strong on the first lap..I don't expect to improve too much, I believe I'll hit around 6:50 on the test but of course I'm going to try the best I can.

-Dom

Yep... looks like a bit fast on the start. But not terrible. Most of the better mile time come with the first and last laps a bit faster than the middle two. But probably not 10-15 seconds faster... Wink

Do you have plans to keep running after your trial?

-Kelly

Was that a full Mile or 1600?  If a Mile, and the first lap was 409.3m then yeah you probably went a good bit too fast out of the gate!  Might could try another time trial but this time run it off of a fairly slow first lap - say 1:43 - 1:45.    You've got 10 days and, though it's too late to really increase your fitness, another trial could help with your tactics.   I, personally, run better if I don't feel like I overran my fitness the 1st lap.  You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

you may miss your optimum time by 10 seconds that way... but you won't blow up and finish 30 seconds off.

In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white&fb_source=message

Just a dude.

August 22, 9:00 pm, I will toe the line for a mile on the track hosted by our local university track/cross country team.

They have 12 different categories, including a chocolate milk mile (probably because since it's an official school fundraiser, they can't do a beer mile) and a wheelchair mile.

I'll be running probably the second fastest heat, those targeting 5:00 to 6:00. I'm hoping to run about 5:15...

Should be fun, in one of those painful cough your lungs up sort of way...

-Kelly

NJRunner24

Was that a full Mile or 1600?  If a Mile, and the first lap was 409.3m then yeah you probably went a good bit too fast out of the gate!  Might could try another time trial but this time run it off of a fairly slow first lap - say 1:43 - 1:45.    You've got 10 days and, though it's too late to really increase your fitness, another trial could help with your tactics.   I, personally, run better if I don't feel like I overran my fitness the 1st lap.  You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

It was 1600m, and so was the test today. I ran the first lap lap in 1:27 this time (-_-) but ended up with a 6:31, which blew me away, I thought I'd run 6:45..after the mile we had to run right away to the gym inside the high school and do wide grip pullups, which is my weakpoint, I did 5. Then run to the indoor basketball court to do pushups for 30 seconds, I was able to get in 25 of those, then run to do situps for 30 seconds, did 23 of those, drag a 115lb dummy across the basketball court as fast as you can, run up stairs with a medical suitcase and get changed for two laps in the pool. I was beat. It was definitely the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. Thanks for all the advice.

Especially want to thank KellyDodge for the advice, it was helpful. I had a bagel and some fruit, did light running day before and a light warmup. Ran a PR, so thank you. I'm definitely going to continue running, I'll compete in 5k's and below, mostly miles since I get a rush from those. And good luck on your mile on the 22nd.

-Dom

Just a dude.

Especially want to thank KellyDodge for the advice, it was helpful. I had a bagel and some fruit, did light running day before and a light warmup. Ran a PR, so thank you. I'm definitely going to continue running, I'll compete in 5k's and below, mostly miles since I get a rush from those. And good luck on your mile on the 22nd.

-Dom

No problem. Glad to hear it went well... Looking forward to hearing about your next one...

-Kelly

Just a dude.

5:11 in a bit of wind. I think I was 3rd overall. First two guys were like 4:40ish.

Raced a bit. Lost some places in the first lap, got some back on the third.

Splits were 76, 79, ?, 5:11... So the halves were pretty close. I would guess the last two were like 78, 77 but I don't know.

Fun time! Read my log if you want to see more details... Smile

-Kelly

Nice run KellyDodge!

Hungry

Great racing, Kelly!