The Mile (Read 589 times)

Just a dude.

Thanks for the advice, Kelly!

I can run 3-6 miles. I do about 3-4 usually 3 times a week..

If you are doing 3-4 miles mostly easy 3 times a week, and then on the other days doing your 20 second surges for a mile or two, I think that's a pretty good plan.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

vegefrog

The mile is scary as shit

Oh well. That's fantastic. HA. We have a mile race here this Sunday and I've never raced a mile so, of course, I came to see if any of you guru's had something to say about it. Lucky me! Seems like there's a lot of mile racing going on. Haven't really trained for it, but I did do 8x 400 last night on the 1:30...I'd love to do my mile in under 6, but 6:15 is probably a more realistic goal. As always thanks to all of you for your entertaining and (mostly) useful advice!

NJRunner24

If you are doing 3-4 miles mostly easy 3 times a week, and then on the other days doing your 20 second surges for a mile or two, I think that's a pretty good plan.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Just an update, 10 days till the test. I ran the mile today at 95% on the local high school track in 7:04 with lap times of 1:37, 1:47, 1:53, 1:46. For some background I ran 2-3 miles yesterday at a strong pace and I would say my legs started to tighten after only the first 200m. Just stuck it out. I think I may have came out too strong on the first lap..I don't expect to improve too much, I believe I'll hit around 6:50 on the test but of course I'm going to try the best I can.

-Dom

Just a dude.

Just an update, 10 days till the test. I ran the mile today at 95% on the local high school track in 7:04 with lap times of 1:37, 1:47, 1:53, 1:46. For some background I ran 2-3 miles yesterday at a strong pace and I would say my legs started to tighten after only the first 200m. Just stuck it out. I think I may have came out too strong on the first lap..I don't expect to improve too much, I believe I'll hit around 6:50 on the test but of course I'm going to try the best I can.

-Dom

Yep... looks like a bit fast on the start. But not terrible. Most of the better mile time come with the first and last laps a bit faster than the middle two. But probably not 10-15 seconds faster... Wink

Do you have plans to keep running after your trial?

-Kelly

kcam

Was that a full Mile or 1600?  If a Mile, and the first lap was 409.3m then yeah you probably went a good bit too fast out of the gate!  Might could try another time trial but this time run it off of a fairly slow first lap - say 1:43 - 1:45.    You've got 10 days and, though it's too late to really increase your fitness, another trial could help with your tactics.   I, personally, run better if I don't feel like I overran my fitness the 1st lap.  You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

you may miss your optimum time by 10 seconds that way... but you won't blow up and finish 30 seconds off.

Just a dude.

August 22, 9:00 pm, I will toe the line for a mile on the track hosted by our local university track/cross country team.

They have 12 different categories, including a chocolate milk mile (probably because since it's an official school fundraiser, they can't do a beer mile) and a wheelchair mile.

I'll be running probably the second fastest heat, those targeting 5:00 to 6:00. I'm hoping to run about 5:15...

Should be fun, in one of those painful cough your lungs up sort of way...

-Kelly

NJRunner24

Was that a full Mile or 1600?  If a Mile, and the first lap was 409.3m then yeah you probably went a good bit too fast out of the gate!  Might could try another time trial but this time run it off of a fairly slow first lap - say 1:43 - 1:45.    You've got 10 days and, though it's too late to really increase your fitness, another trial could help with your tactics.   I, personally, run better if I don't feel like I overran my fitness the 1st lap.  You also might run a lot better off of a slow first lap.

It was 1600m, and so was the test today. I ran the first lap lap in 1:27 this time (-_-) but ended up with a 6:31, which blew me away, I thought I'd run 6:45..after the mile we had to run right away to the gym inside the high school and do wide grip pullups, which is my weakpoint, I did 5. Then run to the indoor basketball court to do pushups for 30 seconds, I was able to get in 25 of those, then run to do situps for 30 seconds, did 23 of those, drag a 115lb dummy across the basketball court as fast as you can, run up stairs with a medical suitcase and get changed for two laps in the pool. I was beat. It was definitely the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. Thanks for all the advice.

Especially want to thank KellyDodge for the advice, it was helpful. I had a bagel and some fruit, did light running day before and a light warmup. Ran a PR, so thank you. I'm definitely going to continue running, I'll compete in 5k's and below, mostly miles since I get a rush from those. And good luck on your mile on the 22nd.

-Dom

Just a dude.

Especially want to thank KellyDodge for the advice, it was helpful. I had a bagel and some fruit, did light running day before and a light warmup. Ran a PR, so thank you. I'm definitely going to continue running, I'll compete in 5k's and below, mostly miles since I get a rush from those. And good luck on your mile on the 22nd.

-Dom

No problem. Glad to hear it went well... Looking forward to hearing about your next one...

-Kelly

Just a dude.

5:11 in a bit of wind. I think I was 3rd overall. First two guys were like 4:40ish.

Raced a bit. Lost some places in the first lap, got some back on the third.

Splits were 76, 79, ?, 5:11... So the halves were pretty close. I would guess the last two were like 78, 77 but I don't know.

Fun time! Read my log if you want to see more details... Smile

-Kelly

Nice run KellyDodge!

SubDood

Great racing, Kelly!