The Mile (Read 589 times)

Walk-Jogger

Nice racing, and excellent race report!

I was going to laugh a bit at your splits, but when I compared them to my own mile race from last year, the per lap changes are nearly identical. My mile was a bit slower and I effectively ran a time-trial off the front of the pack because I was racing against a bunch of slower older guys in their 50's and 60's.

Your splits:     1:12, 1:22, 1:26, 1:18

My splits:        1:15, 1:26, 1:28, 1:21

I didn't feel at the time that I had left any time on the course due to my splits, but I don't race the mile often enough to really have the experience to know. Maybe these are not such bad numbers?

Retired &  Loving It

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great report! That's a lot going on in five minutes!  Wish I could have seen it in person.  Congrats.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I figure you could run faster with more even splits.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

Awesome report -- you will even those splits out eventually. You ran like a high school kid!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I figure you could run faster with more even splits.

You know, I'm sure you're right.  Though, I'm not so sure it would be half as fun.

The race still has me laughing.

Someone might have taken a video (they did that last year) if so, I'll post it so you guys can get a chuckle.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

Ran like a complete fool.

Can't wait for next year.

Great race!  Sounds to me like you did it right. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

You know, I'm sure you're right.  Though, I'm not so sure it would be half as fun.

Someone might have taken a video (they did that last year) if so, I'll post it so you guys can get a chuckle.

I can't say that "has me laughing" is ever an emotion I have after a race of any distance.  Kudos to you for enjoying it! Even after the fact!!

Nice racing, and excellent race report!

I was going to laugh a bit at your splits, but when I compared them to my own mile race from last year, the per lap changes are nearly identical. My mile was a bit slower and I effectively ran a time-trial off the front of the pack because I was racing against a bunch of slower older guys in their 50's and 60's.

Your splits:     1:12, 1:22, 1:26, 1:18

My splits:        1:15, 1:26, 1:28, 1:21

I didn't feel at the time that I had left any time on the course due to my splits, but I don't race the mile often enough to really have the experience to know. Maybe these are not such bad numbers?

The mile just takes some specific training and experience at hitting those splits. Tomorrow, you guys (in a race situation) could probably do something like this:

1:18, 1:19, 1:20, 1:17

With 3-5 weeks of specific training, good pacing, and some build up races you'd probably get down into the low 5s and maybe under.

Best Present Ever

At the high school level, it's kind of hard. All the people working the meet are typically volunteers. A particular school only runs one or two meets a year. It takes work to make it streamlined.

I do agree that there should be a time limit on getting to the marks in sprints. But that's not the only things that are slow. Setting up, taking down, and changing hurdles takes a long time too. At several meets I've been to, the track events are all done and they are still throwing shot or something. There's lots going on and keeping it moving is hard.

I've seen some pretty well run meets. There is a lot more consistent action at those, but they usually have a ton of people attending the meet, so they still take quite a while.

I think that it is a problem that needs to be solved for the future of track...

-Kelly

I haven't been to a lot of track meets, but I too was struck by how SLOW they were.  I have been to A LOT of swim meets, though, and they run like clockwork.  FAST.  Organized.  Everyone understands what they are to do and that it needs to happen now.  The other thing I think is interesting is that swim meets -- at least many of the USA Swimming-affiliated meets in our region -- use apps that allow for real time tracking of the races and times.  So I can follow my son and his team mates as they compete in other cities.  In fact, even when the parent who  attends the meets uses the app because the times gets wiped from the electronic board so fast.  I am told that the same doesn't exist for track meets. I'm puzzled by the differences in what should be pretty similar processes.

Best Present Ever

I hope you are there for next year's masters mile!  I was sorry to miss it.  And missed out on meeting Lolo, etc.  Though I did meet another Olympic hurdler -- Queen Harrison -- who showed up at the middle school track meet and was completely charming.

Walk-Jogger

The mile just takes some specific training and experience at hitting those splits. Tomorrow, you guys (in a race situation) could probably do something like this:

1:18, 1:19, 1:20, 1:17

With 3-5 weeks of specific training, good pacing, and some build up races you'd probably get down into the low 5s and maybe under.

I've got a mile race coming up on June 7th. It's the same "Festival of Miles"  1 mile race I ran those splits on last year, and presumably if I again race in the men's 55 and up age group, there will be no one for me to race against, and it will just be another time-trial.

Or I have the option to run in the "Elite" race later in the day, probably get lapped at least once, and come in somewhere close to DFL. But at least it would be a real race, and I'd either run harder/faster or blow up trying. . .

Retired &  Loving It

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

That was awesome!!! Until you know what too fast is, how do you know if you're going too fast. You was just racing (without any useful knowledge).

Translation for you non-Tracksters

• On your Mark - Ready your elbows
                          • Bang/Go - Apply your elbows to your neighbors

Given that, you psyched yourself out before the start.

You can't talk in a mile! O2 is precious, can't talk, but if racing is the response I can tolerate that.

Isn't running 4:45 miles awesome (when you don't think about the other 3/4 of the race to come)?

Did you notice the source of the interpretive dance, a mind fully spinning due to lack of O2?

You had the correct finish; beat anyone left to beat, and make it dramatic if possible.

You had a good summary, "Not the easiest way to run a mile" <-- every miler has done it at least once though.

Ran like a complete fool.

Can't wait for next year.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

joescott

You had a good summary, "Not the easiest way to run a mile" <-- every miler has done it at least once though.

Ha ha, yes!  indeed, I don't know there is an 'easiest way to run a mile' anyway.  Such would be like Sasquatch or Nessie, lots of sightings, but not many people have experienced in real life!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Just a dude.

I haven't been to a lot of track meets, but I too was struck by how SLOW they were.  I have been to A LOT of swim meets, though, and they run like clockwork.  FAST.  Organized.  Everyone understands what they are to do and that it needs to happen now.  The other thing I think is interesting is that swim meets -- at least many of the USA Swimming-affiliated meets in our region -- use apps that allow for real time tracking of the races and times.  So I can follow my son and his team mates as they compete in other cities.  In fact, even when the parent who  attends the meets uses the app because the times gets wiped from the electronic board so fast.  I am told that the same doesn't exist for track meets. I'm puzzled by the differences in what should be pretty similar processes.

Part of the difference is that in track meets, there's often not a lot of infrastructure. It's often hard to find power. There's a lot of stuff spread out all over the place.

It would be wonderful if the shot and disc judge had a computer/ipad to score everything. And so did the pole vault guy. And the long jump/triple jump gal. If you have hammer and javelin, they may need another one too. I don't know if the automated timing systems could dump straight to an app or something like that, but I doubt many have it set up for that.

Someone who does do a good electronic assist system would be awesome tho. A screen at the check in area where athletes can get the schedule, lane assignments, check in, print out their number, etc. Have screens showing the results, the splits, that kind of stuff all the time. Screens that show the current results of the jumps and the throws.

Anyway, I'd think it could be done... It would just take some money...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I've got a mile race coming up on June 7th. It's the same "Festival of Miles"  1 mile race I ran those splits on last year, and presumably if I again race in the men's 55 and up age group, there will be no one for me to race against, and it will just be another time-trial.

Or I have the option to run in the "Elite" race later in the day, probably get lapped at least once, and come in somewhere close to DFL. But at least it would be a real race, and I'd either run harder/faster or blow up trying. . .

there is an open meet like that around here.  they award the masters mile to the best age graded time.  but since masters includes people 35+, you have to be on the same track as someone running sub 4:30.  So there's that.  Last year in the open race a guy ran 4:00.04 (are you kidding?  I would hate to be the person in charge of timing and finding the guy was five 1/100ths from breaking the four minute mile).

http://www.wiscomile.com/