The Mile (Read 589 times)

A quick glance passing the posts.....I did the math later.  Smile

I hope to be 4:50 by the last all comer's in July.  Time for some pain during the lunchtime track workouts.

Oh, and FFS.  So they ran heats (by sex and age) 10 minutes apart.  So if you were ~14-15min or slower for a mile, the next wave was going to catch you.

The open women went before us.  As I'm coming into the last 300 yards or so and winding into my kick, I see this not-in-shape woman in front of me slowly making her way to the finish.  OK hey, glad she's out there.  Then right as me and another guy are about to split and go around her on each side, her two preschoolers...who had been directly in front of her out of view...shot out to each side....ON KID LEASHES.  Forget my negative opinion on those to begin with, she nearly tripped us both up at the knees and we barely avoided steamrolling her kids.

Reminds me of the Allison the triathlete's run-in last year. Where she backed into an incoming runner at the beginning of her leg and then proceeded to finish with about 7 kids running through the chute with her.  Anyone have that link? It was classic.

Walk-Jogger

Ran my first mile race in a year yesterday, at the "Festival of Miles" event put on by the Bloomsday Road Runners Club (BRRC) in Spokane, WA. The good news is I went 6 seconds faster than last year, set a new age 52+ PR for myself by 3 seconds, set a new age group record for the (small and fairly new) event, and had a great time. Also ran my fastest mile in 25+ years.

The bad news, if you want to look at it that way, is that my splits were ridiculous. Let's just say I ran a 200m sprint, followed by a 1200m easy but slowing interval, and then another 200m sprint with a particularly good fast last 100m. Pretty sure I must have ran 15.xx for the last 100m, based on how my recent 100's in training have felt. The only excuse I can offer is that I was so afraid of the pain about to rain down on me starting in that third lap that I held way back and saved it for the last 400m. Because I can do 400m in a lot of pain much better than I can do 800m in the same pain.

Splits for this race; 2:37, 4:06, 5:24 (didn't see the clock on the first lap)

Edit: Official results just posted online: 5:24.34

2014 vs 2013:

2014 splits:  1:14, 1:23, 1:29, 1:18 = 5:24.34   (809-800 = 2:37, 2:47)   (first two lap splits estimated from 2:37 first half)

2013 splits:  1:15, 1:26, 1:28, 1:21 = 5:30   (809-800 = 2:41, 2:49)

Link to my log entry for this race.

Retired &  Loving It

bap

Congratulations Cecil. Much more to come with better pacing.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

bap

All these mile reports make me want to run it again. I probably will at some point but it will be tough on 400 meter training.

Anyway, I haven't run regularly for 9 months now and won't be able to run for another 6-8 weeks if my second PRP for pf is successful. Otherwise I'll be wearing a boot after that.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Walk-Jogger

All these mile reports make me want to run it again. I probably will at some point but it will be tough on 400 meter training.

Anyway, I haven't run regularly for 9 months now and won't be able to run for another 6-8 weeks if my second PRP for pf is successful. Otherwise I'll be wearing a boot after that.

Thank's Bap - if it's any consolation, I've been fighting a touch of plantar fasciitis in my right heel since my 12k race one month ago, and I was only able to run 3 days out the 7 days preceeding my mile race. I would normally do a lot more speed work the week prior to mile, and only take one day off. It seems that taking 4 days off (most of it limping in pain from the PF) led  to a much better than expected result for my mile!? It was down to a dull ache at race time so I taped it up and ignored it during the race. It's still a dull ache that stings when I stretch it this morning. No limping, but I can't really go run on it, so I'll finally get around to dusting off my road bike today and go for a ride.

Anyway, best of luck getting over your PF and getting back to running full time.

Retired &  Loving It

I just wanted to say that's awesome!!!   Very inspiring to the rest of us.  Hope your PF goes away soon, though.

Ran my first mile race in a year yesterday, at the "Festival of Miles" event put on by the Bloomsday Road Runners Club (BRRC) in Spokane, WA. The good news is I went 6 seconds faster than last year, set a new age 52+ PR for myself by 3 seconds, set a new age group record for the (small and fairly new) event, and had a great time. Also ran my fastest mile in 25+ years.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Walk-Jogger

I just wanted to say that's awesome!!!   Very inspiring to the rest of us.  Hope your PF goes away soon, though.

Thanks!

Retired &  Loving It

joescott

Also ran my fastest mile in 25+ years

Yeah!!!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

Thank's Bap - if it's any consolation, I've been fighting a touch of plantar fasciitis in my right heel since my 12k race one month ago, and I was only able to run 3 days out the 7 days preceeding my mile race. I would normally do a lot more speed work the week prior to mile, and only take one day off. It seems that taking 4 days off (most of it limping in pain from the PF) led  to a much better than expected result for my mile!? It was down to a dull ache at race time so I taped it up and ignored it during the race. It's still a dull ache that stings when I stretch it this morning. No limping, but I can't really go run on it, so I'll finally get around to dusting off my road bike today and go for a ride.

Anyway, best of luck getting over your PF and getting back to running full time.

Meant to comment on this on the other thread but there is definitely a lot to be gained from having fresh legs.  Most times you just don't need that 'one last workout'.   I can't seem to put that fresh legs concept into practice.

Feeling the growl again

4:57.7 1600m = sub-5 equivalent tonight.  73-75-74-75. Basically ~2sec faster than last week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

4:57.7 1600m = sub-5 equivalent tonight.  73-75-74-75. Basically ~2sec faster than last week.

Nice.  Moving the right way!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Walk-Jogger

Spaniel, nice going! If you keep taking off 2 seconds per week, you'll be running sub-4 before you know it! 

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

That was a good run spaniel.

Mine was pretty crappy. 5:40 for me which was slower than last week.

I did learn you can't race the mile optimally on only one warm up lap. Yeah that was real smart of me. Old guys need warm ups

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That was a good run spaniel.

Mine was pretty crappy. 5:40 for me which was slower than last week.

I did learn you can't race the mile optimally on only one warm up lap. Yeah that was real smart of me. Old guys need warm ups

Yes, nice run Spaniel.

C-R, I'm with you on the warm up. It seems the older I get, and the more I train, the more of a warm up I need.  I need at least 2 miles, then 3 minutes of tempo, then some strides before my body is ready to go.

I raced a mile for the first time last Saturday night.  My time was 5:32, which I guess is average since I finished 19th out of 35 or so  runners in my 40-49 AG.  Afterwards it felt like my lungs were on fire and I had an annoying cough that continued for several hours.  Yipes!  Otherwise it was fun. The best part was the quick recovery...being able to run 12 easy miles the next day without any stiffness or soreness was a pleasant surprise.