The Mile (Read 589 times)

Afterwards it felt like my lungs were on fire and I had an annoying cough that continued for several hours.  Yipes! 

Yep. Good old "track hack." That means you did it right! Nice work.

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

I raced a mile for the first time last Saturday night.  My time was 5:32, which I guess is average since I finished 19th out of 35 or so  runners in my 40-49 AG.  Afterwards it felt like my lungs were on fire and I had an annoying cough that continued for several hours.  Yipes!  Otherwise it was fun. The best part was the quick recovery...being able to run 12 easy miles the next day without any stiffness or soreness was a pleasant surprise.

After I finished my mile race last Saturday morning I had to keep walking around to the back side of the track so people would be less able to hear me wheezing and gasping embarrassing loudly for air. Honestly, I sounded almost exactly like this for a couple of minutes

Once I got that under control, the coughing started, every few seconds. My solution to the coughing was to hop in my car and drive two blocks to the nearest coffee shop and grab a 16oz dark roast coffee, black (no cream or sugar). That seems to make the cough go away quickly for me. It's the same solution I use when I have problems with food allergies in my mouth or throat (usually from veggies or fruit) - hot strong black coffee seems to quickly alleviate the problem.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

This explains why I can hardly hold a conversation at work today.  It should be even more fun after this evening's 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had a period where I coughed after every run, last year. Still dunno what that was.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm defintely trying the coffee trick the next time I do a mile race, thanks for that!

In a 10k a few weeks ago, a guy came across the finish line right after me staggering slightly, gasping and braying loudly like a donkey.  I reflexively yelled "GOOD JOB!" and then immediately began to wonder how much better my own time would have been if I had pushed myself into such a miserable state.  It's a strange sport indeed.

Did our local club mile tonight, part of an 8 race series here. The series goes from first week of May through the third week of September, but they schedule the just 5 days after the 10K road race. It's anybody's guess as to why, so you just grin and bear with the short recovery.

I trained okay, but my head hasn't been into it, or maybe it's just that the speed is harder to come by after 55.

Unofficial splits and time, 77, 2:35, 3:53, 5:10, which is just about what I did last year. 5th overall, 1st masters.

"braying loudly like a donkey"   Great analogy!

I'm defintely trying the coffee trick the next time I do a mile race, thanks for that!

In a 10k a few weeks ago, a guy came across the finish line right after me staggering slightly, gasping and braying loudly like a donkey.  I reflexively yelled "GOOD JOB!" and then immediately began to wonder how much better my own time would have been if I had pushed myself into such a miserable state.  It's a strange sport indeed.

Just a dude.

I got to run a 1600 on the track at an all comers meet today. My first track meet in 3+ years.

It was me against something like 8 kids ages 8-14 or so.

It was really more of a time trial. I won by half a lap... :-/

5:35 was my time. Good place to start.

Got a road mile next week. Perhaps sub 5:30 is in the cards...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

kcam

I ran the 1500m and 800m this morning at our club 800/1500/3000 day.  Would have done better to run the 3000 but I wanted the faster-paced workout.  Ran the 'slow' heat of the 1500 and I ran 5:16, not bad for a first 'mile' type race this season.  I led until 150 to go and two guys with better speed blew by me.  Glad to just finish it.  10minutes rest and then a very pathetic 2:43 800.  2nd lap I was just toast.  Ran without a watch so no splits for either race.  I'm guessing this puts me at ~5:41 mile.

Next week I'll get the chance to run two track miles, one on Thursday evening and the other on Saturday morning.  I'll shoot for a 5:41 or better on Thursday.

Walk-Jogger

Nice running, Trackrat, Kelly and Ken.

With my right heel messed up I'm out of running completely for a few weeks, however long it takes to stop hurting and heal up a bit, but I can still bike and workout as hard as I want on the incline treadmill at a steep slope. I did a vertical mile today at 30% slope, in 1:18:20. It takes a long time to go a mile straight up.  I walked this with a few fartlek type "sprints" thrown in during the first half and them made it progressively faster for the second half. The final ten minutes had my heart rate at 94% max plus a final sprint finish, so this was a hard workout. I'd call it about the same effort for me as running an easy half-marathon distance with a fast last mile.

Retired &  Loving It

No more marathons

Ditto that ^

I've signed up for the NC Senior games at the end of September and signed on with a coach since I've never run track before.  He ran a time trial with me Monday night, and while no where near the times of you youngsters, it was much better than I had expected; 6:11.  That's an age adjusted 4:50 - which is better than I ever did in my youth.  So there's hope for this old phart.

Problem is, this is the second somewhat hard, short race in the past month (ran the 1500 in our local senior games in 5:54.  Couple days later during a longish run I had a sharp pain in my side that put me on the sidelines for three days.  After my mile on Monday I've hobbled through 4 days of easy running with a major pain in my gluteus maximus, and took today off.

I guess it's true what they say - speed kills.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've signed up for the NC Senior games at the end of September and signed on with a coach since I've never run track before.  He ran a time trial with me Monday night, and while no where near the times of you youngsters, it was much better than I had expected; 6:11.  That's an age adjusted 4:50 - which is better than I ever did in my youth.  So there's hope for this old phart.

Wow, congrats on an impressive time!  I hereby dis-invite you from the mile I'll be running in a couple of weeks.  I have a shot at AG there, assuming you don't come! Smile

No more marathons

Wow, congrats on an impressive time!  I hereby dis-invite you from the mile I'll be running in a couple of weeks.  I have a shot at AG there, assuming you don't come! Smile

Ha, thanks Led.  

Are you planning on competing in your state senior games in August? You'd most likely qualify for next year's national games.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

I did a vertical mile today at 30% slope, in 1:18:20. It takes a long time to go a mile straight up.  I walked this with a few fartlek type "sprints" thrown in during the first half and them made it progressively faster for the second half. The final ten minutes had my heart rate at 94% max plus a final sprint finish, so this was a hard workout. I'd call it about the same effort for me as running an easy half-marathon distance with a fast last mile.

I've done 5 mile races that have about a 1,600 ft climb and that sounds like an easy stroll compared to this workout.

He's a leaker!

With my right heel messed up I'm out of running completely for a few weeks, however long it takes to stop hurting and heal up a bit, but I can still bike and workout as hard as I want on the incline treadmill at a steep slope. I did a vertical mile today at 30% slope, in 1:18:20. It takes a long time to go a mile straight up.  I walked this with a few fartlek type "sprints" thrown in during the first half and them made it progressively faster for the second half. The final ten minutes had my heart rate at 94% max plus a final sprint finish, so this was a hard workout. I'd call it about the same effort for me as running an easy half-marathon distance with a fast last mile.

thanks and congrats on the vertical mile! Is that on a ski slope? Anything that high here would end up on a glacier.