People Lie (aka another race under my belt) (Read 621 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, all you runners at the Grand Rapids Komen Race for the Cure 5k who I passed were not 8 or 9 minute mile pace runners. Nor was I (due to having to weave around y'all, instead of running a straight line), though, LOL. I think my time was about 30:30 (official results not yet posted), though it took me a good half-minute just to hit the start line and the race is timed from the gun, so I probably did run a sub-30 minute race. My goal had been to run it under 28 minutes, but it was not to be. I still hit a PR, but missed my goal. If I run it again next year I think I may go up with the 8 minute mile folks, since it will mean a lot fewer groups of folks to have to zig-zag around (most people seemed to be running with others). I took it easy at the end, too, since I think my sore hip flexor is partly due to my sprint at the end of the 10 mile race I did 2 weeks ago. I really want to be careful to avoid injury now, since my big half-marathon and last race of the season is only 4 weeks away. All in all it was a neat experience, though. Thousands of runners and walkers (they guaranteed shirts to the first 4500, so I would assume that they expected at least that many participants). Quite a festive atmosphere, though I didn't stick around long after the race, since it was cold and rainy and I was starting to get chilled. If the weather is more cooperative next year I would love to stay for the awards ceremony. There were so many survivors competing and such a wide variety of ages and skill levels out there braving the bad weather in honor of loved ones--celebrating the survivors and honoring those who had been taken by breast cancer. I thought a lot about my great aunt as I ran. She was not a young woman, but it still upsets me to think that even after losing her left breast it was ultimately breast cancer that had metastasized that took her from us. I have no doubt that she would have lived many more years had she not been struck by cancer. She was a tough old broad. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, here's the outcome: Duration: 30:09 Pace: 9:44 / mile Field Placement: 512 / 1031 (49.7%) Age group: 30 – 34 Group Placement: 45 / 100 (45%) Gender Placement: 277 / 720 (38.5%) Not bad...best overall results I've had for any race--I finished in the top half of the field! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Awesome K! It's nice to see improvements in times and PRs even if you didn't meet your uner 28 goal. I think we should always set our sites high and it looks like you didn't miss it by much having to do all of that weaving. We are running in a 5k for the Cure tomorrow as well. I will check in with the results. Dave
        Wingz

Professional Noob

You Go, Girl!! Cool Cool Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, guys! Enjoy your race tomorrow, Dave. Are your wife and DD both running with you? What a fun experience. I hope you guys have better weather. The cold wasn't so bad, but that rain was miserable--I'm just thankful it was only a 5k (though the weather wasn't actually bad while we were running, it was pre and post race that it was icky). k

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

Wow, Kirsten. I'm impressed!

Robin

bas

Hey k, congratulations! Great race, great result, good cause. Do you know this site? They (and the other sites related to it) get my clicks on an almost daily basis. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

That makes me crazy! We spent the first half mile to mile (at least) of our first half marathon dodging groups of people *walking* with their elbows linked. What is that all about? LOL! Probaly ended up running a good 15 miles rather than the 13.1 with all the weaving back and forth Our HM was huge (too huge really). 35,000 people. I'm pretty much sure that most of them lied ... which I definitely will be doing next year! Big grin Teresa
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bas, that is a great site! There are similar sites for animal welfare groups, too. Sometimes I will sit and click from site to site. Smile Teresa, that really has me wondering where I should line up for my own half marathon. I am guessing that I will likely run that around a 10:30 pace...but maybe I will start with the 9s, just to avoid having too many groups to traverse. k

~ Sarah Kay

Great race & report, Kirsten! Glad to hear you had a good experience.
                      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48