Desperately Seeking Motivation! HELP (Read 655 times)

I've been running for a few years now and lately I'm just not that motivated. Work has consumed my life, not to mention a new house (along with the chores that go with it) and this horrible hot muggy weather, which make it harder and harder to run. For the last few months I've been coming up with the lamest excuses and can't seem to find a way to make myself get back in the saddle. I even signed up for a half marathon in September (now only 6 weeks away), but that hasn't motivated me either (and yet I'm horrified that I won't finish). I use to be addicted to my peaceful evening runs, which I used as a way to relax and unwind after work. Now (even when I have the time) I can't convince myself to take one. And when I do, I feel so awful and out of shape. Has anyone else gone through a slump like this? Any suggestions? What can I do get myself running again?
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I think it is always hard to get back into the swing but I think if you give it a good effort you will see things will get better. You will run longer and the weather will get cooler. I didn't feel like running Sunday and didn't think I would make it very far and ended up going twice as far. Try the mornings it is a lot easier to run then or on a treadmill. With that said get off your lazy arse, get out that front door and get your run in! Stop the whining. The best thing about running is that the only thing holding you back is yourself. Sure you can blame the weather if it is too hot, too cold, raining or snowing but they don't stop you. You stop you. So get going and run. I like to think of every run as adding an extra day onto your life. So go live a little longer. Signed, Tough Love
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
        The summer weather sucks Dead and until very recently, I was having shitty run after shitty run. You just have to lace up your shoes and GO. Bad run, good run, you just have to get out there. If you are a rewards driven person, you could give yourself one for meeting a certain mileage or days goal ..
        2009: BQ?

Along for the Ride

I am still battling a sore ankle and had a motivation slump as well. I didn't run a week ... went for a run on Sunday and today. I felt much more rested and had GREAT runs. Maybe it is just the matter of allowing yourself a guilt free week of not running? Maybe some cross-training would help? You'll get back to it - once a runner always a runner! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Sholtsman, I'm just coming off 9 months of absolutely no running - none, nada. In my 30 years of running I've experienced this on a couple of occasions. Last season I was running 30-40 mile weeks and ran a half with my son in September and after that the motivation went downhill fast. November 26th was my last log entry until just last week. I continued to fast walk with my wife in the evenings just to maintain some physical fittness. Sometimes it happens. It will run its course and you WILL be back. Try some other activity for a while to keep in shape. If you are a reader get yourself a good book on running. I've kept several over the years that re-energize me more with each read. Just finished George Sheehan's "Running to Win" (Rodale Press) and Hal Higgin's "Marathon-Ultimate Training Guide." Try one of these, or if you find something else, post it here.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

va

Run on a regular schedule. Start with shorter runs, and work your way back slowly. Get rest when you need it. Don't push it. If it's too hot, the run early in the morning. This morning I ran at 6 AM, it was beautiful I tell you. Yesterday it was too hot, so I ran inside an air conditioned gym on a treadmill. I cranked the tunes on my iPod, and all was good with the world. You're right, excuses are lame... Run in some new and different places. If your not going to be ready for the half, bag it and set some more reasonable short term goals (e.g., 5K, 10K). Set a half-marathon goal further in the future, and join a training group with some local runners.
                When life gets hectic, it is easy to get caught up in all of the stress and drama of life. Just look at the news for example. We all get caught up with the negative things going on and the distractions in our everyday lives. And at the end of the broadcast, there is a little blurb of something positive that happened that day. It is those little blurbs that we need to try and focus on instead of all of the stressful things in our lives. Start out with a goal of just trying to do SOMETHING. Anything really. I read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks to form a habit but less than a week to break. You will probably find that the more consistent you can be at finding reasons TO workout, the less excuses you will start to come up with to avoid it. I recently signed up for a half and ever since I did, I have found it harder to NOT workout! I hope this helps!!!! Best of luck and fall running weather is right around the corner!!!!!
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What works really well for me is making a running schedule, with a variety of runs...a long run, a med. length run or two, an easy run or two, a day of speedwork. I make my schedule out a month at a time around prior engagements and DH's biking, then I try to stick to it. I usually do. Illness and really bad weather sometimes make it tough, but I have run in windchills of -5 and high humidity/heat indexes. I don't have access to a treadmill, so if I'm not willing to brave the elements I don't get my runs in. I'm also completely unwilling to waste a race fee for anything other than bad injury...I didn't marry a Dutch man for nuthin'. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go to the store and try on some pants two sizes too small. If you don't start exercising again, this is where you will be in about a year. Shocked Shocked No seriously, I've had slumps too, but they pass. Its just like starting out again. Take that first run, then your 2nd, 3rd and so on. Eventually you will feel like a runner again. Like others said, at this point its all in your head. Get motivated and off your A$$$......
                    jcasetnl

Personally, I take a break or cross train. I also swim, cycle and lift weights. For me, exercise has to be fun and enjoyable, or it defeats the purpose. You could also run in the 'hood.
                        Hi, I'm going to go ahead and mention the pink elephant in the room. You are depressed. Unfortunately, this affects your enthusiasm for running (literally, brings you down physically). But give yourself the benefit of the doubt. You have to think: "any judgment I make of myself or my ability to run, or my my shape, is unrealistic because it is marred by my mental state. Now, it has been documented that after a while, running will make your endorphins fire and you will feel better about yourself. So to get running, forget about planning long runs or don't think about the course etc. Your first run should be short and fast. Try to go out and release frustrations on that run, and scream if you need to. Make sure you break a sweat. but keep it short and don't think about it or plan it or you'll make up excuses not to do it. Then the next run should be a recovery run and run longer but much slower, and concentrate on not thinking about your problems, but your surroundings. All subsequent runs should be part of a plan and your thoughts should be focused on everything about the run. There is always time to deal with life ... after the run. Hope that helps.
                        Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt