My second 5k Race (Read 520 times)

NOT happy with the race!!!! Unofficial time of 40:12. The pits!!! Waiting for the posting of the official times and I don't remember it taking this long last year. I think the age correction will take it down to 35:36 which is OK, but won't know until the official times are posted. I have GOT to learn pacing!!!!!(Hint to Santa.........GARMIN!!!!!) My first mile was 1:30 too fast and that cost me huge later. Plus I have injured my right calf somehow. Sore as hell mid way down. Walking hurts but calf stretches help. Toe off is sore when walking.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Gregg, that pacing thing can be brutal. I've gone out too fast before and in a long race it usually means taking a mile or two of really slow running before picking it up again...but in a 5k it can be killer. At least you now know what to do differently. I think a Garmin could be a really great tool for that, too. You'll do better next time. Maybe call this one a Tempo run? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Some of my "worst" runs have been among my most satisfying, just because I found a way to finish them. You got out there, and you finished. Teddy Roosevelt would say "bully for you", and if he was feeling really talkative he would say: It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt April 23, 1910

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Bad, That is a great quote! Thanks for posting it. Still no posting of the official time. My calf feels better and I can walk normally now. But I have a slight knot toward the front just left of the shin on the right leg about 8 inches above the the instep. I have not one clue why that is!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

5Ks are such a bitch when it comes to pacing Dead ! Hey, you got out there, you raced ... which is much much more than a lot of people did today!
            2009: BQ?
              Yeah dude, do not beat yourself up. Black eye You got out the door and sweat! Cool Was the course hilly?

Vim

Another Passion

5Ks are such a bitch when it comes to pacing Dead ! Hey, you got out there, you raced ... which is much much more than a lot of people did today!
                Exactly! My wife was hem-hawing about doing The Race for the Cure 5K with me this coming weekend saying, "I'll probably come in last." My reaction was the same.... you went out and did it! Wink

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Well my official time was better: 39:26 So I don't fell to bad abou it.