Chi Running--any thoughts? (Read 1313 times)

Ed, Thanks, your comments are very helpful.
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt

madness baby

Too much marketing for me to consider it. I don't need to be sold running! Wink
      deb
      sathomasga

If you're interested in the technique without the touchy-feely (spiritual?) aspects of that author's philosophy, take a look at evolution running or, to a lesser extent, pose running. Even though Mierke's book seems focused on triathletes (based on its title), it's fine as a pure runners' book. Stephen
          Haven't looked at this site in awhile, but on the subject of POSE Running; http://www.posetech.com/pose_method/
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            Does any one practice Chi running
            When I think about my form during running - which to be honest isn't often - I tend to focus on the Chi techniques - leaning from the ankle, keeping my knees down and making sure I'm "elbowing the guy behind me" instead of "punching the guy in front of me" help. I've noticed consistently that around miles 18-19 on my long runs, I have a habit of ripping out my iPod with my hands simply because my elbows are too far forward and my thumbs hook the cord. Thinking about form at that point is more important than 3 miles into a 4 mile run. I'm surprised why so many people reacted to whether or not Chi running makes you "faster"... I've never thought of it that way. I think of good form in turns of keeping me injury free - nothing more, nothing less. But when bad form puts you on the sidelines for several weeks, that could be enough.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Scout7

While I agree with everyone's posts about running making the OP a faster runner, I'm also interested in his original question about people's experience with Chi Running. Have people used the ideas in the book, has it improved their form, allowing them to run more uninjured miles, etc...(and, possibly, allowing them to become faster).
              Read it, even tried to follow the recommendations. It didn't do much for me at all. As for the rate of injury amongst runners... I'm willing to put money down on the fact that the vast majority of those injuries come from one of two causes: A) Increasing mileage too quickly; B) Running too hard and not properly recovering. Hey, if Chi Running or whatever else helps to keep you from doing those things, more power to you. But there is no secret in the book. It's the same basic advice given by Pfitzinger, Daniels, Noakes, Glover, Martin and Coe, Lydiard, etc etc etc ad nauseum. I think that's what sort of turns me off to this stuff. The way it's packaged makes it seem like some sort of new, revolutionary idea that will fix all that ails you. And it isn't. Some of the ideas are loosely based on scientific observation, and they are the ones that concern me more (Leaning forward may or may not work for people; the whole 180 cadence idea).
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I think that's what sort of turns me off to this stuff. The way it's packaged makes it seem like some sort of new, revolutionary idea that will fix all that ails you. And it isn't.
                If it wasn't packaged like that, few people would probably have ever heard of it. That's the reality of marketing. I used to let it bother me too, but I've learned that I'm happier if I just ignore it and concentrate on the ideas themselves.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  but I've learned that I'm happier if I just ignore it and concentrate on the ideas themselves.
                  And while concentrating on those ideas, RUNNING... Big grin
                  "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                  chi-tom-run

I'm fascinated by all the responses when it appears many/most of you have not worked with a ChiRunning instructor to really know, first hand just exactly what ChiRunning is all about.

Why is it sideways?

I'm fascinated by all the responses when it appears many/most of you have not worked with a ChiRunning instructor to really know, first hand just exactly what ChiRunning is all about.
                      If you re-read the thread, you'll find that the responses are mixed. Many folks, led by Ed4, have positive and reasonable things to say about the program. Folks are giving their opinions, and I doubt that anyone feels absolutely certain that they have the right answer for the OP. We'd all love to hear what you have to say about Chi running.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We'd all love to hear what you have to say about Chi running.
                        I certainly would. At the very least some of the ideas intrigue me. I have already started thinking in terms of the lower heeled running shoes and been very happy. My favorite shoe at the moment is the NB 902. A year ago I ran a HM in the NB 1222 (moderate stability shoe), now I am in the 902 (lightweight, low stability) and noticing that my wear patterns on my shoes have moved from wear more towards the inside edge of the balls of my feet to center. I would not be surprised if I were to be running in a neutral shoe by Spring. I can't help but credit this to my concentration on form--paying attention to my posture (I used to have an almost backwards lean, now I really have been conscious of remaining more upright with a bit of a forward lean from my ankles), less overstriding and hard heel striking, more midfoot strike.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Maybe because the original poster's question was only partly about ChiRunning and had more to do with taking his marathon time from 4:53 to 4:00. The path to improving race times is well worn and does not require ChiRunning. One doesn't need to know first hand exactly what ChiRunning is all about to know that. There are parts of ChiRunning's basic premises that I agree with. Running is very natural. Children do tend to do it better than adults. Focusing, body sensing, breathing and relaxing are all good things while running (which is why I find it ironic that some of ChiRunning's proponents ALSO use HRMs and iPods but that's another story.) But ChiRunning quickly gets off the rails from posture, breathing and relaxing and into fanciful claims about running at your current level with 30% of your current energy output, and running faster and farther with less effort. These claims are directly targeted at our collective instant gratification impulses. Experienced runners who know what it takes to run injury free and to improve race performances over the long term see this for what it is--another marketing scheme targeted at people beginning running later in life with more money than time and wanting instant results. There is probably some value in runners actually learning Tai Chi (or yoga for that matter.) Balance, relaxation, posture, core strength--these are all good things. But ChiRunning looks and smells like a marketing scheme designed to separate insecure newbie runners from their dollars.

Runners run

Read it, even tried to follow the recommendations. It didn't do much for me at all. .... I think that's what sort of turns me off to this stuff. The way it's packaged makes it seem like some sort of new, revolutionary idea that will fix all that ails you. And it isn't.
                            I would have posted in this thread, but Scout said everything I would have said word for word.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

chi-tom-run

As a runner/triathlete for over 25 yrs., having moved into endurance events in the recent years completeing numerous marathons and ultra events, I can say, my running has been taken to a whole new level as a direct result of ChiRunning. Specifically, I completed the Santa Catalina marathon (all off road hills) one week after my first Chi class and took nearly 30 mins off my time from the prior year.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Specifically, I completed the Santa Catalina marathon (all off road hills) one week after my first Chi class and took nearly 30 mins off my time from the prior year.
                                That's a fantastic amount of improvement, but do you really think it all came from a class you took one week before the race? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just curious. I imagine the months of training leading up to the marathon had much more to do with your performance than anything you did in the last week before the race. Disclaimer: I'm neither a proponent nor opponent to Chi running. I don't even really know what it is. But I am wary of the fact that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. (Except in 1997, when I shaved with a blade and showered the morning of each Michigan football game and we went on to go undefeated and win a national championship.That was all me Clowning around )

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.