How much is too much? (Read 1975 times)

atomno2

Hi all.  I am running my 1st half in about 4 weeks.  My mileage feels like it is coming along great and I plan to do a 12 this weekend and then a 13 the next.  I have started to do some speed work and even this feels great.  I am feeling so good in fact, that my body feels like it is wanting to run everyday, or at least 5 days a week. Any advise for how to avoid injury's or can anyone talk me out of it?  My first goal is a sub 2 hour half, but more realistically looking at my runs, I think I will be a sub 2:10:00.  Thanks in advance!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Add and "EASY" day or two a week. I see no reason you can't run 4-5 days a week. I run nearly everyday unless I feel I need a complete rest day.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Now that you know you can run 12, no need to do that 13 miler.  If it was me, for the next 3 weeks I'd run the same mileage over 4-5 days. I'd probably do an 8 mile long run, and 5-6 mile midweek run with a few strides at the end (faster running for 30-40 seconds, full recovery, repeat 3-4 times) , the rest very easy 2-3 miles.

drrbradford

... advise for how to avoid injury's or can anyone talk me out of it?

To avoid injuries inflicted by grammarians learn the difference between 'advise' and 'advice' as well as how to use apostrophes.

With regards to running: No-one can tell you how much or how little to run without knowing a substantial amount about your training and body. My advice is that you use the old 'suck it and see' method: try running more often and if you find yourself starting the next run still tired or developing pains in specific areas (as opposed to just general mildly-aching legs) then you're running too much. However, I suspect that five days out of seven would prove too much having had a very brief look at your training over the last couple of months. Happyfeet's advice is fairly sound.

drrbradford

strides . . .faster running for 30-40 seconds, full recovery, repeat 3-4 times . . .

That's not exactly the best definition of strides.

Strides are done to develop good running form by running quickly but not flat out whilst focussing on things like your footstrike/elbow angle/any other specific form issues. When you do strides you should look smooth, controlled and elegant. They're more useful for distances of HM or under where your steady run pace and race pace are significantly different.

They are also useful before speed work to ensure that your muscles are loosened off (in order to avoid subconscious stride adjustments to compensate for overly tight muscles causing restricted ranges of movement) and make sure that any niggles you have aren't going to turn into an injury when you run your first rep.

Am I doing this right?

To avoid injuries inflicted by grammarians learn the difference between 'advise' and 'advice' as well as how to use apostrophes.

Oh good!  Are very own grammer cop. 

No excuses....

atomno2

I do apologize about the grammar.  My fingers tend to work faster than my head and I tend to not proof read. 

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

an amazing likeness

Are very own grammer cop. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Slo

I do apologize about the grammar.  My fingers tend to work faster than my head and I tend to not proof read. 

And neither does it seem drrbradford. He could benefit from shortening his sentences.

Running 5 days a week is an excellent goal. You received some sound advice. (I think I got that right)

If your a reasonably fit person and not over weight I would think you could double your weekly mileage pretty quickly.  As stated earlier, add an easy day in, lengthen one of your regular days and before you know it you'll be logging 35 mpw's !

Good luck, keep us updated.

Dr B, I was not going for a definition of Strides, that was in response to wanting to do speed work.  I think at this point a few pickups at the end of a run is all the speed work he'll need. 

With regards to running: ...

Oh, let's not chastise others in regard to their grammar.

OP, on the topic of running more days v. fewer, I'd urge you to be well in tune with your body.  I made the same shift in my running over the past few months, and this was a big concern for me.  Between my paranoia and a very good coach -- who log-stalks and isn't afraid to call me out if/when I get stupid! -- I was able to increase both overall mileage and frequency without too much anguish.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I always though this kind of remarks wouldn't be found on English forums, since most members there do realize that many members aren't native speakers at all...

Please... Take care not to scare away non-native speakers.

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

fast momma!

Oh, let's not chastise others in regard to their grammar. 

+1

I think I found errors in nearly every post thus far, but I read the posts for their content not correct grammar, spelling, punctuation or syntax.

to OP: which half are you doing?  I am also doing my first half in about 3 weeks in Idaho.

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

With regards to running:

I agree with Clive... substandard and vulgar. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

No need for you to apologize.  I think 99.99% of forum posters think that forums are for pertinent subjects instead of English class.  Your questions were very valid and your post was very clear.

Congratulations on prepping for your first HM!  I agree with others that you can gradually increase your number of days.  But I would say to make sure that it is gradual and easy for the next two weeks (with occasional pickups or strides).  But look at tapering for 2 weeks before the HM.  Oh, what is the saying?  Something like "If you don't train, you may not finish a race but if you overtrain, you may not start."  {Or something like that.}  After the HM, you'll have plenty of time to increase the mileage.  Good luck on your race and let us know how it went.