New Shoes? (Read 717 times)

bearded_runner

Hi I have been running since january now, got from running for 5 minutes and collapesing to able to run 10km's. i have used the same trainers, I have seen some posts about replacing trianing shoes after a while. when should I change them, how can i spot that they need changing Andy
      Based on what I know, it can be difficult to suggest when you should change shoes. A general guideline that I have heard is about 450 miles. This may be less if you are heavier (190+). I can usually tell if it is time if my legs hurt more than normal even when I run the same distance at the same pace. Sometimes, especially if you run on a hard surface, you can tell by looking at the shoe. You may have excessive wear at the heel or at the ball of the foot. I actually have two pairs of the exact same shoes that I run in. This does not extend the miles that you get, but if you run long distances and sweat into them, it can help to give them time to dry. Hope that helps. Ken
      Wingz

Professional Noob

http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=334570487c824119ac5a69e07c7d1d21 I know for myself, I start to hurt when it's time to change... usually somewhere around 200 miles. But typically people get 300 - 500 miles.

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

I actually have two pairs of the exact same shoes that I run in. This does not extend the miles that you get, but if you run long distances and sweat into them, it can help to give them time to dry.
          That's good advice.. actually, might even slightly increase your mileage, as wet shoes (always sweaty, never drying out) will break down faster... however, there is a limit, as the plastic/rubber in the shoes will break down naturally (even without wear) so buying 10 pairs of shoes might not be a good idea.. Big grin