Marathon training and expecting child (Read 991 times)

Maniac

I have a question for you folks. My DW is expecting our second child at the end of October. Obviously, this is exciting news, but it does pose a (obviously minor) dilemma... I want to run the 2009 PF Chang's Rock N Roll Marathon in January. Having an infant (along with our then-4-year old daughter) right in the middle of training is likely to present some challenges. Given that we've been through the infancy phase before, I do seem to recall not sleeping so well... My question is this...Has anyone on here trained to run a marathon so soon after their wife gave birth? Obviously, Paula Radcliffe did it (and she's the one who gave birth!!), but I don't get paid to run, so I have to work training around an actual job... Thoughts?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

HTFU
      Lisa3.1

I have a question for you folks. My DW is expecting our second child at the end of October. Obviously, this is exciting news, but it does pose a (obviously minor) dilemma... I want to run the 2009 PF Chang's Rock N Roll Marathon in January. Having an infant (along with our then-4-year old daughter) right in the middle of training is likely to present some challenges. Given that we've been through the infancy phase before, I do seem to recall not sleeping so well... My question is this...Has anyone on here trained to run a marathon so soon after their wife gave birth? Obviously, Paula Radcliffe did it (and she's the one who gave birth!!), but I don't get paid to run, so I have to work training around an actual job... Thoughts?
        Congratulations We are also planning another baby anyday now so that our son and his sibling are not too far apart in age. MTA: I asked the same question in another group within ra and someone brought up Radcliff as well.

Maniac

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Stay healthy

Maniac

Congratulations We are also planning another baby anyday now so that our son and his sibling are not too far apart in age. MTA: I asked the same question in another group within ra and someone brought up Radcliff as well.
            Thanks for the congratulations! Good luck with your new one.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think there are a few members who have done this...I can't imagine it...but I can't imagine training for a marathon, either--yet. I do recall how completely numb I felt that first year of our son's life--particularly the first 3 months. I barely was able to function, much less even think about mild exercise.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

I think there are a few members who have done this...I can't imagine it...but I can't imagine training for a marathon, either--yet. I do recall how completely numb I felt that first year of our son's life--particularly the first 3 months. I barely was able to function, much less even think about mild exercise.
                That is what I am afraid of.... I want to register for this thing by the end of this month (I have a coupon), but I'm worried about being to exhausted to walk a mile, much less run 20....

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

AnneCA

What does your wife say?

Maniac

What does your wife say?
                    Whenever I mention running, her eyes glaze over.... Basically, she's not going to do anything different or be willing to help in any way (e.g., let me sleep in or take care of the kids while I get a nap).

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

Whenever I mention running, her eyes glaze over.... Basically, she's not going to do anything different or be willing to help in any way (e.g., let me sleep in or take care of the kids while I get a nap).
                      Uh oh. Sad That's not a good sign. It will still be doable but without her support and understanding, you will be facing some tough times, no doubt. Good luck.
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

A Saucy Wench

Well...that is closer than I have done it, but then I was the one having the child and doing the training. My only advice is to suck it up about the sleep and try to time your runs around the baby, not the other way around. (or else pick a later marathon) I would sleep until the baby woke me up and then nurse the baby and GO. Any waking after 4 am was time to run. The only other thing I can recommend is try to learn how to sleep with the baby on you....then after your long runs when it looks like the baby is getting ready to nap, offer to take the baby to put him down...maybe you can sneak in 20 min that way . Also remember you get a lunch break at work...either run then or try and nap then if you can. 15 minutes, even 10 does wonders. however little sleep you are getting, your wife is getting less...AND she will be hormonal ...really you have to look at how much you want this vs. how much you think she will take without it hurting your marriage. The first 3 months are hard enough.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

Whether you should try and do this might depend on how well this new little infant sleeps at night. If little one is up every two hours, forget it. We found going from one child to two a HUGE adjustment and we were not getting any sleep. Life got really tough when I went back to work; if your wife stays at home that may be different for you. If you can get some runs in early in the morning or on your lunch hour and everybody gets enough sleep at night you can probably do it just fine. Another option might be waiting till you can run/train with baby in jogging stroller. Your wife might come to like you running if it gives her a break. Congrats on the expecting baby. Enjoy the little person. they grow up so quickly.

Bugs

Giant Flaming Dork

Uh oh. Sad That's not a good sign. It will still be doable but without her support and understanding, you will be facing some tough times, no doubt. Good luck.
                            I agree. I couldn't take the time I need to train if I did not have my wife's support.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Jill_B

I fly.

As a new mom with an older child also I would suggest waiting until the baby is at least 4 or 5 months old before starting an intensive training schedule.

Bring it on.