When to Hydrate on Long Runs? How far is too far w/o water? (Read 1588 times)

I ran 6 miles yesterday. Let me start by saying this is a long run for me, as I just started back 2 weeks ago. I don't know if I have ever run that far before. I have never taken a water bottle with me...I always re-hydrate after I get done. I did notice that at mile 5 I found myself wanting water. How far do you go before you hit the fluids?
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
    mikeymike

It depends on how hot it is, how much you sweat, how fast you're running. A lot of things. I've run 20 miles with no water plenty of times.

Runners run

C-R

It depends on how hot it is, how much you sweat, how fast you're running. A lot of things. I've run 20 miles with no water plenty of times.
        Can't say I've gone that far without water but I've managed 10 or 11 without. Like Mike says, it depends on the day and how you feel. I went for an 9 on Sat and didn't have a drop. Ran a 7 on Sunday and hit the water after 3 miles. One note, instead of carrying water with you, run routes where you know you will have a fountain available (near parks and ballfields work well). I use a fuel belt with small bottles for runs away from civilization or fountains but carrying water with you can get annoying at times.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It depends on how hot it is, how much you sweat, how fast you're running. A lot of things.
          Yep. In the Winter if I'm not overdressed I could probably easily do at least 10 without fluids. In the warmer months I will often take at least a 20oz. hand bottle for anything much over 8 or 9. If I am going to be out for 2 hours or more and it's above 80ยบ I'll have a 20oz bottle of Gatorade in a waist pack with an extra 2 10oz. bottles of plain water attached to the belt (I have an Amphipod Full-Tilt pack which is wonderfully customizable for a variety of runs and needs). I sweat...a LOT (even my kid doesn't want to hug me after warm weather runs and races). Even with hydration I can drop 3-5#s in a typical long Summer run. Someone who doesn't sweat as much volume can probably do with less. That's one thing I recall reading that helped a person estimate their fluid needs--weigh yourself before and after an hour run to see how many oz. you lose. For a run of an hour or less you can probably go without fluids, but when it's hot and you're going to be out there longer it's not a bad idea to have water or sports drink along, even if you find you don't need it. Better to be overprepared than under, IMO. I can get pretty ill when it's hot and I don't have enough fluids with me. When it comes to hydration I'm of a mind that HTFUing is not necessarily a good thing. We experience thirst for a reason.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I live in the Mississippi Delta and Summer is fast approaching. It can easily hit 105 degrees with 90% humidity...and if I am working hard I will sweat ALOT. The conditions here in the summer can be NASTY. I will probaly find some way to have hydration on anything over 5 miles throughout the summer. But 20 miles...good grief. That is an insane concept considering the run I had Sunday.
            2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              You might want to think in terms of time, rather than mileage, but more importantly listen to your body. Usually if your body needs water, it will tell you, although some folks thirst response is better tuned than others. Your fluid needs will depend on you, intensity, temperature, humidity, how heat adapted you are, etc. In my case, for most runs, I don't need water for less than 1 hr and in winter can probably go 1.5 hr with no fluids if it's not a hard run. In warmer weather for runs over 1 hr, I'll start drinking maybe 15-20 min into the run so I stay hydrated.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              jeffdonahue

I hate carrying water with me. But as everyone said, depending on the weather, the day and how hard you are running you can need it. Here are some options you can do if you dont want to carry a 16oz bottle in your hand. Fuel Belts are nice - can hold up to six 8oz water bottles (less if you dont need that much). They are pretty comfortable adn you dont really feel them bounce when you run. Run a couple laps of a shorter looped route and leave a bottle on your front steps. Bring a couple bucks and plan your route so you run past a store at the point you might need water. Drive out and drop off a water bottle or two at different points in you run. I do this one on my drive to the gym in the morning. Brign a bottle with you for an out and back route - stash it when you get about half way to the turnaround point. Then you can run half the run without it and then pick it up again for the last 1/4 of the run fi you need it.
                  I know that in tennis...I NEVER drink water water. When it comes to that sport (something I am more familiar with), I am always the one who he is waiting on everyone else to re-hydrate. Like I said, the conditions here are rare though.
                    With the weather we're having right now in Mississippi, I can do about 1.5 hours without water...about 9 miles. In the middle of summer, I'll drop water bottles every three miles (about 30 min run) or I'll carry a 20 oz bottle in my hand. On the really hot/humid days, I drop water and carry so that I don't run out.
                      GetGone - should have asked you first. I went 1:08 w/o and probaly could have gone another 10 or 15 minutes w/o damaging anything...but I was starting to get dry mouth and thirsty. So I can see that. Appreciate the summer response...you know how hot the roads can get here. I have seen too many folks passout playing tennis in the summer heat...I would hate to be running alone and fall victim to the same.
                        My rule of thumb is that I do not carry water on any run under an hour. So for me, that's anything below a 10k. I'm fairly certain that I could run a 10k without water as well, but it just makes sense to me to use the hour rule and not over think things.
                        And who am I anyway?
                        Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                          If you got dry mouth and thirsty you might have gone a little long. It's amzing how fast things can deteriorate. The only time I got close to be in trouble was last summer when I was running a double loop in my neighborhood. Usually on my second pass I drink the water bottle I leave at my mailbox. For some reason I didn't stop for it because I told myself I was fine. Well I got to about the furthest point away from my house on the second loop and things didn't feel right. I felt awful. If I was out on my long run trail I would have been SOL. I usually run those alone and if I were to pass out there would be no telling how long before I was found. Anyway, don't mess around with the heat.
                            One way to find out how much water you're losing while running is to weigh yourself before and after. Best done "dry" without running clothes (which will get wet.) It's an individual matter, but many of us lose about a quart (2 lbs) an hour running in summertime weather. Losing more than about 3% of your bodyweight while exercising is probably pushing it. Your muscles will get dry, your blood thickens up some, etc. Even before that point one's performance can suffer.
                              it isn't a contest.... and well on longer runs and when the intensity goes up I need fluids so... if I am running 6 miles of my 3 mile loop I will pause after once around to grab a drink... If I am running a 5.8 mile loop from my house ... no water... If I am running the 9 mile loop I place water at 5.. If I am running the 9+3 loop I have water at 5,9 then ever 3 afterwards on my sat. runs... water goes at the 4,7,9 mile mark... so there is a drinking fountain at 5.5, 11... so on a 22 mile run you have 4,5.5,7,9,11,13,15,16.5,18 .... gets you accustom to drinking durring your run and how much to take so you don't get a sloshy stomach... In the summer I sweat quite a bit... so 3 miles is about my limit before I need more fluids ...

Oh Mighty Wing

I don't drink much and I sweat alot... but I also live in the northeast which is VERY different! I would like to remind, because it hasn't been mentioned, that you want to remember to hydrate constantly so that you are well hydrated going into the run as well as during. With how hot it is where you are I would probably invest in a pack or something so I could carry water with me.