Martian Marathon Race Report (Read 527 times)

It was a perfect day for a race. A little overcast, no wind and temperatures in the mid 40's for the start. I told my wife the night before, if I feel good in the moring I'm going to try to qualify for Boston. I felt great. Started off strong, a little unsure how hard to push early in the race and still be able to hold on at the end. The Martian Marathon is a small (240 marathoners) race in Dearborn, MI. By mile 6 i was still on pace, feeling strong but running alone. A mostly flat course with some rolling hills made it pretty easy to stay on pace with no one to run with. I needed to be at the halfway point by 1:37 to be on pace, i made it there at 1:35. My next target was 20 miles. I new I needed to be there by 2:30 to have a chance. 20 miles came and went and I was still 2 minutes ahead of schedule. My legs were starting to get tired by mile 23. I never really felt like I hit the wall, but I could tell I was about done. Miles 24 and 25 were both in the low 8's so I new my cushion was gone. I would have to run the last 1.2 miles at pace or I wouldn't make it. I struggled through a 7:51 for my 26 mile and could see the clock on the home stretch. I now new I wasn't going to make it. 3:16:30 chip time. 31 seconds too slow. Oh well, there's always next time. It was a great race overall, I knocked 27 minutes off of my previous PR.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great run Mike! That BQ is definitely in reach. Big grin Did you take any GU or other supplements during the race?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

Holy smokes! Proof you can drop big change off your PR...I can't imagine running that fast and being dissapointed, but I know how big it is to get that qualifier behind you. Congrats on a great race! Still a great time! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lynn, thanks very much. That's what my wife said also. But you know what it's like when you work so hard for something and you get that close. Jeff, I did use gels. I try to make sure I get one in me every 6 miles. They seem to give me a lift, whether it's just a mental lift or they actually help, I'm not sure.
          va

Hi Mike23, Excellent job shaving 27 minutes off of your PR!!! Shocked What do you attribute the improvement to? Thanks
            derek

Since you're 38, if you run a similar time from Oct onwards, you'll have your BQ for 2009 when you'll be 40, depending on when your birthday actually is. The BQ time for 40 is 3:20.

Derek

muse_runner

keep running.

Mike, Fantastic job! We all want to know how you made that huge PR. You must be soooo happy. Are you sore?
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                  Since you're 38, if you run a similar time from Oct onwards, you'll have your BQ for 2009 when you'll be 40, depending on when your birthday actually is. The BQ time for 40 is 3:20.
                  On the other hand...if you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll smash 3:15 in the Fall. Nice race, Mike!

Runners run

You know the only thing I can attribute it to is a better base of miles. My last marathon, Myrtle Beach Marathon, 6 weeks ago i felt strong but was ill. I had a case of bronchitis but i needed to run. I ran a 3:42:59 there and even though my body was weak my legs felt strong throughout. I've been consistanly shaving off about 5 or 6 minutes from each marathon. I really have felt very strong lately. My goal is to do a marathon each month, because my body seems to be recovering so well. I've been injury free for a year and a half now (knock on wood), and i've been following pfitzinger's advanced marathoning training program. This race I just decided to see where I was at. I've always started off slow and tried to pick up the pace late. It's never worked for me, I seem to get in a groove and stay there. So this race, I started at my goal pace and was just hoping i could hang on. I did for 23 miles before fading, so I guess now I know where I stand and can hopefully duplicate this effort and find that last 31 seconds. thanks again for all the support!
                      Big grinwow! great race! that's an amazing jump! Shocked

Jennifer mm#1231

va

You know the only thing I can attribute it to is a better base of miles. My last marathon, Myrtle Beach Marathon, 6 weeks ago i felt strong but was ill. I had a case of bronchitis but i needed to run. I ran a 3:42:59 there and even though my body was weak my legs felt strong throughout. I've been consistanly shaving off about 5 or 6 minutes from each marathon. I really have felt very strong lately. My goal is to do a marathon each month, because my body seems to be recovering so well. I've been injury free for a year and a half now (knock on wood), and i've been following pfitzinger's advanced marathoning training program. This race I just decided to see where I was at. I've always started off slow and tried to pick up the pace late. It's never worked for me, I seem to get in a groove and stay there. So this race, I started at my goal pace and was just hoping i could hang on. I did for 23 miles before fading, so I guess now I know where I stand and can hopefully duplicate this effort and find that last 31 seconds. thanks again for all the support!
                        Mike23, Sorry to hear you were sick for Myrtle Beach. Did you write a race report for that marathon? Besides your illness what did you think of the race? Was it cold? Windy? I am looking for a flat course marathon somewhere on the East coast for next year.
                          I never did write a race report for Myrtle Beach. It was cold at the start (25 degrees), not real windy. It was a very flat course. Lot's of support at the finish line, not a lot of support throughout the race. I enjoyed it, I would have like it better had I been healthier. I would recommend it.
                            Wow, nice time and PR! (I understand what you mean about BQing, though ... I really wanted to break 4 hours at Marine Corps, and came in at 4:02:10 ... oh well, always the next 26.2! Smile)
                            2009: BQ?
                            nemo1

I was at the Martian Marathon race too! I'm glad you did so well. I was going to run a half marathon, but injury knocked me down to a 10 K. My time wasn't nearly as good as yours (~1:15:00), but you were right in saying it was a great day to race. Good job on your PR.
                                I struggled through a 7:51 for my 26 mile and could see the clock on the home stretch. I now new I wasn't going to make it. 3:16:30 chip time. 31 seconds too slow. Oh well, there's always next time. It was a great race overall, I knocked 27 minutes off of my previous PR.
                                Mike, first congrats on a great race and a PR. Second, I missed BQ'ing by 39 seconds last October, but made it Sunday at the Athens, OH marathon. So I know you'll make it next time too. You're closer than I was!
                                The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison