Enhanced Garmin GPS Import (Read 1885 times)

eric :)

For the past year, I've been receiving occasional support requests regarding importing data from the Garmin Forerunner.  I tried to reproduce the problems on my computers, with all combination of browsers but was not successful.

The problems varied from RA not detecting the GPS to the GPS freezing part way into the upload.  I added a debugging tool to the importer a few days ago.  It records everything that's done with the Garmin Communicator.  You're welcome to take a look at the output by clicking on the little black triangle on the importer status bar, although it may not make much sense to you.

Some of you have discovered it and submitted the debugging data to me.  There were users that were trigger happy because I received many reports with no errors.  Of the reports containing problems, the main one is caused by corrupt data from the Forerunner.

I modified the importer to display the relevant information upfront instead of just at the status bar.  It will provide directions on how to fix known problems such as missing or out of date Garmin Communicator plugin and corrupt Garmin data.  I'll continue to update the importer to handle new problems as they come up.

To deter users from submitting non-problematic reports, a description of the problem is now required before submitting the report.  Please refrain from hitting the submit button unless you have an actual problem.

Speaking of problems, the server was unavailable this morning.  I rebooted the server to fix a problem but when the server came back on, it had no network connection.  Without a network connection, the server was useless.  Since I can't access the computer remotely, it took me a while to trek to the data center and fix the problem.

eric :-)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Appreciate it!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Eric, thanks for all the hard work you do so we can all enjoy RunningAHEAD!

Your efforts are much appreciated!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Speaking of problems, the server was unavailable this morning.  I rebooted the server to fix a problem but when the server came back on, it had no network connection.  Without a network connection, the server was useless.  Since I can't access the computer remotely, it took me a while to trek to the data center and fix the problem.

This part is key seeing how there is a blizzard in the way.

ouguy100

how do i get the runningahead site to trasfer data from my forerunner 310xt gps.  it wont recognize it

Thanks Eric!

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The problem that I am having is that my screen just shows the little circle continuing to go around and it says searching for GPS device. My Garmin 305 is hooked up but it isn't finding it.
                2010 Goals
                Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
                VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
                at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year

an amazing likeness

Danny -- you have a Forerunner 305, right? You need to have the 'Garmin Communicator' installed and working.  Then RA will find the Garmin and read the data.

If you haven't aleady, head over to the Garmin Communicator Test page and verify that all the underlying software is installed and working.  Once that works, RA should find the device and import data for you.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Milk- I went to that page, I already had a version working and has been working for the past year or more, anyway I downloaded the latest version and the garmin test site says that it is properly loaded and the device is communicating normally but still having the same problem with RA. Thanks for the suggestion, at least I have my communicator up to date.
                    2010 Goals

Can you click on the down triangle in the status bar and send me the trace info?

sorry eric, nothing happens when I click on the down arrow in the status bar. Oh, and yes to the previous question from milk, it is a forerunner 305.
                        2010 Goals

What browser do you use?

firefox, it has been working up until this week. btw, thanks for the help.
                            2010 Goals

Danny,

Please do the following:

1. Go to FF's Tools menu and select Error Console
                              2. In the error console, click the clear button
                              3. Reload the GPS import page
                              4. Include all the error messages you see in the error console after the page reload