woopty doo (Read 924 times)

over 40, overweight, under 20. 

mission accomplished. 

19:53 in a 5k on Saturday in my last race for at least 6 months.  So I guess I should take this opportunity for my first "look what I can do" post.  I'll limit myself to one of these every two years or so. 

The journey from 27:50 to 19:53 involved a loss of 45 pounds and about 2,500 miles of training.   There were a few snags along that 2,500 mile long road but overall I am thankful for the good weather and the smooth road that made up the last 1,000 miles.  And whatever setbacks occured along the way have been forgotten.  Thanks to those of you who took a second to say "hello", "good morning", or just offer a nod as passed on the road. 

I guess I have a lot of time to ponder the next goal.  Maybe in another 1,000 miles I'll think up a new one. 

Slo

Way to go Doug.

I'm over 40, but not overweight and have yet to crack that 20 egg.

Nice Job.....very nice job.

Did it hurt ?   

it hurt more than it would have if I wasn't overweight. 

by Sunday bedtime any hurt was awash in the good feeling of my love for Jay Cutler.  I have changed my profile picture for my new hero.  Not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 gifts.  Thank you Jay, you shouldn't have. 

Awesome job!
          xor

Woopty doo indeed!

No racing for at least six months?  You'll still be running, right?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome job, Doug!  Kudos on your hard work and the results of said work. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Awesome job, Doug!

Tick tock

Menace to Sobriety

G' job.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

That's a good pile of accomplishments there... well done!  Oh, and as you asked about in my post, yes, 19:39 is available and you have my blessing to start seeing it when you're back on the scene in six months... it seems like you two would be a good match.

-------------------------------------
                    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

wtg ... that's something ... and from a clydesdale no less.  outstanding.

2012= under-goaled

Doug,

That's just excellent man.  At what point during the race did you have the sense that "Yes, this is going to happen"?

As SRL implied, I hope you'll still be running. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

At what point during the race did you have the sense that "Yes, this is going to happen"?

I have never used a Garmin or watch in a race.  So I didn't know much, I just ran.  

The first mile marker was reached at 5:52.  I knew that was a little too fast but the first mile was mostly downhill so I didn't give it much thought.  Just before the 2.0 mile marker the guy right in front of me farted.  I shouted out "uncool!" and he and I laughed.  So I figured I was still doing ok.  At the 3.0 mile marker they didn't give the time.  So I still didn't know.  Then I made the final turn and saw the finish and a clock.  It said 19:41... 19:42... and I panicked for a second as I tried to pick up the pace and realized I already tried to start a kick at the 3 mile mark... and not much was happening.  Then I realized it was only about 50 meters away. 

Short answer... at just past 4.95k of the 5k I realized it WAS going to happen. 

And yeah, I'll start doing easy runs again in a few more days.  Then I'll just run easy miles.  I can't get greedy and I have to realize I've been fortunate.  So speedwork and racing will be on hold for a while.  And I'll need a new avatar.  I snuck under 200 lbs. this race so I'm likely done as a Clydedale. 

"uncool" is a pretty funny remark in that situation.  Wow, dude.  19:41 with an uncertain-but-probably-short stretch to go. I'd have panicked, too.

Nice work.  I'm glad I tricked you into a race report. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

Congratulations.

And I'll need a new avatar.  I snuck under 200 lbs. this race so I'm likely done as a Clydedale. 

Bikini season is over -- go eat a burrito [or two] and keep that weight above 2 bills ... there is no higher compliment than "I can't believe someone as BIG [and old] as you can go that fast!" Enjoy!

2012= under-goaled