I think Asics is screwing with me. (Read 1732 times)

pitrunner

A little background, bear with me. I've been wearing Asics for the past 2 years and couldn't be more happy. I got fitted/analyzed at a running store for 2110's and have been wearing the 21xx series and the 11xx series (since I got a good deal) ever since. Coupled with superfeet greens, these have been the best shoes for my PF (although the 11xx's tend to make my knees grumpy). Ok, so fast forward. I just tried out my new 2130's last night on the treadmill and my arches felt awful! It didn't get to the point where my arches were pulling and tight, but I could definitely feel that there was a lack of support and my arches were falling flat. WTF? Shouldn't the 2130's be just about the same as 2120's and 2110's? I took them off after 15 mintues and put on my new Kayano's, which felt better, albeit not as cushiony as I'd heard they were. So my questions: -I know my gait is a little different on the treadmill than outside, could this account for what I felt? I'm thinking not. -Any other loyal 21xx fans been dissapointed by the 2130's? -Anyone with a similar gait (mild overpronater with PF problems) have any other good shoe reccomendations? I've been thinking about trying the Mizuno Wave Inspire...

Imminent Catastrophe

Each new version of the 21xx have been worse than the ones before IMHO. I really liked the 2100s. The 2120s, not so much, definitely a different shoe.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Runner

the problems I think arise from their updates catering to the masses so when they make updates often the shoes that were perfect for you because they weren't perfect for most no longer work for you...I run into this with updates. I thought I'd love the new nimbus and I heard a lot of people say the 8was better than the 9 but for me the 9 was just awesome...now I'm running a lot in an adidas adizero cs... I like the amount of cushioning as it's not overly cushioned but pretty good

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

mikeymike

You, your feet and your gait can also change over time. Whe I first, first got back into running as an adult...like 9 years ago now I guess...the Asics GT2xxx series was perfect for me. Now they would just about put me in the hospital.

Runners run

pitrunner

Well this just sucks. Now I have to start all over. And, bummer, I had already taken the tags off my 2130's since I was so sure they would be great. Sad
            AroundTheHorn

I've had pretty good luck with the 2130's. I believe they made the foot wider than the previous version. I plan on trying the kayano's soon just to see what the hype is all about.
              Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.

They screwed up the DS Trainers this year, so next year's model will be the same as last year's model. Maybe they did something similar with the 2000 series. (I haven't heard anything to that effect, but I haven't bought Asics for a couple years.)

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

pitrunner

I've had pretty good luck with the 2130's. I believe they made the foot wider than the previous version. I plan on trying the kayano's soon just to see what the hype is all about.
                  Maybe that's the problem - I have relatively narrow feet. I must say I liked my Kayano's. It felt like I was wearing less shoe, but in a good way. If that makes any sense at all.
                  kcam

They screwed up the DS Trainers this year, so next year's model will be the same as last year's model. Maybe they did something similar with the 2000 series. (I haven't heard anything to that effect, but I haven't bought Asics for a couple years.)
                    Curious to what people don't like about the DST's this year? You're talking about the green ones with the asymmetrical uppers? I've used the DST for years and I have two pairs of this year's model and they seem OK to me (have ~700 miles on one pair and ~300 on the second, so I do have a little experience there!). Last year's was good too so it won't bother me if they go back!
                      Had this exact problem, 2130 was the first shoe where I could "feel" my arches after any run longer than about 10 miles. I've since switched to Mizuno Inspires and Elixirs...not had any discomfort since. Btw, I think this contributed to my first injury back in the Spring because I would move my foot around in the shoe while running, trying to avoid that uncomfortable arch feeling. Dumb of me, should of ditched them sooner.
                      pitrunner

Had this exact problem, 2130 was the first shoe where I could "feel" my arches after any run longer than about 10 miles. I've since switched to Mizuno Inspires and Elixirs...not had any discomfort since. Btw, I think this contributed to my first injury back in the Spring because I would move my foot around in the shoe while running, trying to avoid that uncomfortable arch feeling. Dumb of me, should of ditched them sooner.
                        I've been thinking of buying the Inspires. When I tried them on in the store the heel felt much higher than I was used to. Did you notice anything like that?
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Pitrunner, I loved the 2120s, but I had the same reaction to the 2130s that you did. As a last resort, I tried the green Superfeet inserts, and they made a huge difference! I actually enjoy running in the 2130s now.
                          pitrunner

Pitrunner, I loved the 2120s, but I had the same reaction to the 2130s that you did. As a last resort, I tried the green Superfeet inserts, and they made a huge difference! I actually enjoy running in the 2130s now.
                            I always use my greens...otherwise I wouldn't be able to run at all. I feel like I've lost my best friend Sad
                              The Kayano's aren't as good as they used to be. Ever since Asics came out with the Kinsei, and now the Kinsei 2, the Kayano seems to have taken a back seat in the mix. They don't look nearly as beefy as they used to. Mind you some runners prefer that.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Pitrunner, that's weird, I find them to have the lowest heel of any shoes I've owned so far, which is one of the other reasons I love them so much. I swear, when I tried them on, I was reminded of my Earth Shoe days and their negative heels. Maybe give them another try on wearing your Asics first. Oh, and they're perceptibly lighter than the 21xx's as well, another great perk.