Motivation (Read 1475 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay, so what motivates you to run? Mile after mile. Day after day. Race after race. How do you keep going? Do you tell everybody that you are going to run x amount, then feel obliged to do it? Do you have some weird number compulsion where you have to collect a certain number of miles per week? Are you competing with others? With yourself?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a few things...my ass that doesn't want to shrink is probably #1. Wink Other things that keep me motivated are registering for races and setting up a monthly training schedule (increasing my minutes by about 10% each week) that I have hung next to my computer. I cross off each day after I have completed my run. So far I have been really good about getting my workouts in, even when the weather was hot and humid (and tonite I'll likely be adding rain to that mix). Right now I just want to be able to finish races, but eventually I would like to be able to finish races in the top half of my age bracket. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I have a few things...my ass that doesn't want to shrink is probably #1. Wink Other things that keep me motivated are registering for races and setting up a monthly training schedule (increasing my minutes by about 10% each week) that I have hung next to my computer. I cross off each day after I have completed my run. So far I have been really good about getting my workouts in, even when the weather was hot and humid (and tonite I'll likely be adding rain to that mix). Right now I just want to be able to finish races, but eventually I would like to be able to finish races in the top half of my age bracket. k
        You copied my answer! No fair! Okay, and yeah, I'll own up to the weird number compulsion thing too. Wink But more than that, it's the challenge of doing something that's hard for me. Never could resist a good challenge...

Roads were made for journeys...

I have a few things too....losing weight is part of what got me started, but that's not what keeps me going. Partially is the competition between my fiance and I of who runs more....but the one that keeps my # of miles up is that the sooner I get more miles on my shoes, the sooner I can buy new ones! Big grin
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

....but the one that keeps my # of miles up is that the sooner I get more miles on my shoes, the sooner I can buy new ones! Big grin
            Shhh...don't tell my hubby, but that is also one of my reasons--I LOVE shoes...always have! At least he does understand that running shoes don't last indefinitely AND that when it comes to footwear one generally gets what one pays for (he's starting to figure that out with other things, too...but VERY slowly--just ask Eryn/backroadrunner). k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't have that one main motivation to run anymore, such as run 20 minute without stopping, or run my first marathon. Now it's about the little things. I run mostly because I don't want to lost whatever fitness I have now. It takes years to build up to where I am now, and only weeks to lose it. There's always that next marathon that I want to do, and it's easier to maintain a certain number of miles per week, than to ramp up to the base again. There's the sense of accomplishment after the run, knowing that I did it even though I didn't want to go out initially because it's too cold or too hot out. Then there's the human aspects of running. I signed up for the club long run, and even though it's raining and still dark, I still have to get up and do it. The best feeling is when I am about 3 yards from the imaginary finish line of my long run. My legs are tired, but I known I can muster a few more steps, and then I can stop. I can go home, pig out, or nap for the rest of day because the hardest part is over.

You'll ruin your knees!

"Okay, so what motivates you to run? Mile after mile. Day after day. Race after race. How do you keep going?" ...to see what's over the next hill, what's around the next bend! I regularly see a roadrunner on one of my common runs...I always say hello and ask him to join me...he usually just darts into the bushes...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

...to see what's over the next hill, what's around the next bend! I regularly see a roadrunner on one of my common runs...I always say hello and ask him to join me...he usually just darts into the bushes...
                  Beep beep!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I regularly see a roadrunner on one of my common runs...I always say hello and ask him to join me...he usually just darts into the bushes...
                    Hmmm...I just thought of a great spinoff thread... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Gig

Motivation used to be pretty tough, but I have a new coworker who runs, too. He's always giving me reports of what he ran over the weekend or the night before, or that morning. And he asks me what I've been running. I want to be able to say I match or at least come close to what he's doing. That might sound like a machismo thing on both of our parts, and maybe there's a skoch of that, but really it's just good to have the positive reinforcement of someone else taking an interest. Also, sometimes it's just good to get out of the house.
                        It's weird, but the bars on my training log motivate me. I can't stand when they get bigger (more runs are dropping off than I am putting on). I also like adding new runs, hitting save and looking at my log again. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time staying motivated. I think it's the heat. I am so glad we have a bit of a break from the humidity here in MO.
                        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
                        Purdey

Self anointed title

My motivation is to turn myself from an overweight (smoker...!!! shhh!!) plodder into someone who can comfortably run a marathon... and in a few years time be able to run ultra marathons up to 100mile distance. That's obviously a long term motivation - so I find it useful to give myself lots of short term goals to help the motivation along.... on my longer runs that short term goal might be "run the next two miles without stopping" - but I know that each small step is taking me closer to my long term goal. (and like many others I'm trying to reduce the amount of space that my body occupies....) Sad

Along for the Ride

It's weird, but the bars on my training log motivate me. I can't stand when they get bigger (more runs are dropping off than I am putting on). I also like adding new runs, hitting save and looking at my log again. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time staying motivated. I think it's the heat. I am so glad we have a bit of a break from the humidity here in MO.
                            I am a "logger" as well. It gives a sense of accomplishment to cross the run of the plan and log it here ... I am training for the Las Vegas Half marathon with a group of friends - my time goal is 1:50. This will be hard and I need to work on my speed. Right now the e-mail support group we have going motivates me. We e-mail weekly about our workouts and motivate each other.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

The technology that is now available to runners has motivated me. This is my 30th year which takes me back to a day when running shoes were crude, timepieces had just gone digital and wrist-borne, and Bill Rodgers was still winning Boston. The incredible enthusiasm back then kept us giddy--and running. Today, the enthusiasm is not quite the same as those early and innocent years. But all this this new technology has put new life into my own running. On-line logs and forums galore! Our diabetic runners user group in particular (this site) has been an absolutely amazing motivator in and of itself.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I hate needles!! REALY hate them!! AND I made a promise to Pop (father in law) the day before he died to be here to take care of Mom (mother in law) and my wife. That promise was Oct 13 2003. At the time I was 99 lbs over weight, on blood pressure meds and inactive. On Nov 23 2004 I was dx's Type II diabetic. Soooooooooooooooo, to keep that promise and to avoid needles (I STILL need to stick my fingers everyday) for shots as long as possible, I must take care of myself. Running fits the bill.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire