Finally Qualified for Boston--Thanks my old CR friends and new RA friends (Read 907 times)

Well, after nearly 32 yrs of running I finally broke through. Ran a 3:57:47 this morning on a beautiful morning in Tallahasse. Temp between 43-62--low humidity--flat course--minimal wind. Felt great , well "great" thru about mile mile 24. Ran negative split the second 1/2. Also--ran faster than my first marathon waaaay back in December, 1977--by 13 seconds. I will be 65 in about 6 months--so qualifying as a 60-64 yr old makes me prouder. Age 65--I get to run under 4:15. Thanks again to Big Dawg for posting a wish me well note and the numerous good wishes from members. I pushed to make sure I would be able to post a positive result. Also, a big thanks to my old CR friend Adam Harmer. He was my on line coach. A first for me. I have coached hundreds of runners over the yrs--first time I have had a coach. He did a great job--but, as you all know he had a LOT to work with!! Big grin May you continue to enjoy your running journey. I am very greatful for the gift of a healthy body and a passion for running. I think the next 65,000 miles will even be more fun. Nick
      That's awesome, Nick! Congrats on your BQ!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Vally

Congratulations Nick!!
          Awesome for you!! And so awesome that you beat your first marathon time. Shows it can be a lifelong sport.
            Sending HUGE HUGS to you Nick!! ((((( Big grin ))))) What an Awesome Achievement. For all those that think this sport cannot be done long term, you are a living testimony to what this thing called " running" has done for you! I am so proud of you and FOR you, and must say, I thought of you soooo many times today, hoping and praying that you had a great run. Looks like you did and then some! Congratulations! " Long may you run"..... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Great Work Nick, you are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing Smile

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

NICE job! How are you planning to celebrate (I mean, besides registering Wink)? Very cool! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, Nick, that is amazing! And talk about patience - something to note for those of us who have been running for just a few years or months...running improvement really does happen over years and years. So...you ARE going, aren't you? Arla

Ex runner

Awesome NICK Big grin You are an inspiration
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Half Fanatic #846

Way to go Nick on your BQ - You deserve it!! Cool I'm in your AG and was there for my first Half today. What a great day for a race - you described it perfectly. I'll be there for the full next year (I'm waiting til you're outta my age group Wink). More good running to you! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Oh Mighty Wing

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin
                        kcam

Right on! I hope I'm able to qualify at 64. You truly are Long Run Nick (insert emoticon of a smiley doing the "I'm not worthy" thing!).

Imminent Catastrophe

That's great, congrats!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Congrats. I "graduate" into the 55-60 male age group this summer and still haven't qualifed for Boston yet. So you give me hope if my health stays as good as yours for a few more years.
                              USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010