Dallas Marathon 2014 thread (Read 29 times)

There's 1 race that I'll do every year regardless of the price.  I don't know if it's expensive or cheap.

It's not because of the race.

It's because of where the money goes for that race (Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children).  

They give hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to the hospital.

Last year, it was canceled due to an ice storm.  They kept my money (and all racer's money) and gave the money (after sunk expenses) to the hospital.

I'm signing up again this year (discounted price for 2013 entrants).

This year, I get to run the race with 1 of the best graduates of Scottish Rite Hospital for Children that I know, my oldest son.

My son was a patient there for about 10 years (until he was 18 and could no longer be a patient there).

Not many graduates of TSRHC are ever able to run the marathon, and I'll be super proud of him while also super proud of TSRHC for treating him and enabling him to best deal with his medical condition.
    (FWIW, this will be his 1st marathon, and he's doing the marathon through an elective class he's taking at his university).

RunTheRock!

Cheers,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

joescott

Brian, that's really cool and inspiring.  Best of luck to your son running The Rock this December.

(I sure wish they still called it 'Dallas White Rock'.  I guess to us old timers that's what it will always be).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

My daughter (22) also went to Scottish Rite for years! Can't say enough wonderful things about that place. We ended up staying there for three weeks straight when she was a baby, because she was in traction and we live out of town.

Anyway, I'm planning to run this year. My first time for this race, and only my second marathon.