I got my Friend hooked! (Read 410 times)

For a while now i have been helping my friend train for the mardi gras beach run 10k here in galveston island, tx. I convinced him to do it even though he wasnt to thrilled about the idea. He agreed to do it for the benifet of running. On friday night, still wishy washy about whether he wanted to run... I convinced him. The run was great... and I beat my goal of under 1 hour. I finished at 58:16 and sure enough my friend mike (who i have yet to get him to join running ahead) beat me with a time of 56:42! i dont mind the fact that he beat me hes a black belt karate instructor and has been in shape for years longer than i have. the best part is i got him hooked! he keeps asking me when the next race is... I am not good at searching for these things.. can anyone help me find some good links for 5ks or 10ks in the Houston, tx area? p.s. its a beach run with perfect january temps... if you're in the area next year i would definetly recomend running it
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
      Cool deal... My running evangelism so far... I talked my co-worker into doing a 10K back in April 07. For a 59 year old, he did extremely well finishing it in 60 minutes . We started the race together which was great. He is now 60 and was going to actually training for the 2008 Cowtown 10k, but last I heard he decided he was not entering Sad. May 07, I got one of my best friends (we've known each other since 3rd grade) to do a 5K with me that supported children of fallen US troops. Big grin I was surprised he did it... race at 7am versus sleeping in? Confused Lady, I am currently seeing, runs for recreation, but has not run a race. I suggested she sign up for one... and I got a yes! I sold her on the pre/post race LOOT! Cool November 07, I tried to convince another co-worker (mid 40s) who is down from Canada every few weeks to do a 10k and half marathon. Things did not really jive last year, but he was open. Hopefully I get him out this year.

Vim

Thanks for the links guys... I by chance found a 5k today. its a small race in kemah, tx "mardi gras gallop" its feb 2nd coming up quick! im gonna do it. my friend mike cant make it though so modal i think im gonna do some more friend prospecting like you have... hopefully it works i know the'll be hooked as well!
        http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com