December swimming (Read 982 times)

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

1000 yds today and a 100yd PR! 1:35! Not fast by swimmer's standards. But good for me. CRAIg

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

I just started swimming again a little over a month ago. I can deal with swimming indoors much better than running on a treadmill. I can swim for an hour without getting bored. But I find an hour on the treadmill very boring, even with an iPod and TV.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
        I wish I could swim now, my body needs it-my pool is closed for December Sad
        spacityrunner

Well, checked out the new "gym" today and did some laps in a pool. I was not keeping track but I figured I did at least 500 yds. Of course it took me forever if we count the time I stopped and chatted with the guy next to me doing some jogging...... I like the new place, just wish it was closer. I will probably join anyway

Trails Rock!

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Well, checked out the new "gym" today and did some laps in a pool. I was not keeping track but I figured I did at least 500 yds. Of course it took me forever if we count the time I stopped and chatted with the guy next to me doing some jogging...... I like the new place, just wish it was closer. I will probably join anyway
            Good start RinDC! Closer is nicer fer sure. But look at the total out the door to in the door at work (or where ever) time. Mine is 6:30 to 8:30 or two hrs. A bit longer commute wold only affect this a bit. CQGIr

spacityrunner

1000 yards (I think, I always lose count) in 35 min. It is a different feel when going from an 18 yd pool to a 25 yd pool. I will get used to it. This new gym has a cold plunge pool, so after my swim, I sat in the nice hot whirlpool for a few, then stood in the freezing cold plunge (ok it is only 53 degrees, not 32) for a couple. Hope my achy feet like that! I think the commute will be doable....

Trails Rock!

spacityrunner

30 min of swimming after a 7 mile run. Didn't count laps...tried to but kept losing count so I just gave up and swam for 30 minutes...back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Am I the only one swimming????

Trails Rock!

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

dc, Rest assured you are not the only one. Did 1700 on Friday, but Sa/Su not usually. How fast do you swim a lap when you are going backand forth back and forth?

spacityrunner

How fast??? I'm supposed to know how fast and count laps..... Shocked Well, when I did 20 laps the other day (give or take, I always lose count) it took me 35 minutes. I rest a lot...sometimes at each end, sometimes at the end of my lap. Sometimes for just a few seconds, sometimes for more than a few. I am not a speedy swimmer... Big grin back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.....

Trails Rock!

Gotta TRI

Started swimming this month in a saline filled pool. No chlorine smell, and no more tears Big grin Have missed last couple of swims but will probably hit the pool tommorrow.
                      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        I'm about to get out the door for 1500 meters. I may bump it up to 2k if I think I can freestyle the entire last 750.
                        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

How fast??? I'm supposed to know how fast and count laps..... Shocked
                          Rests!!?? If you are rather consistent you can predict your minutes to finish and use the clock to count laps. Once a lap you need to look at the second hand to tell if you are behind or ahead. It also gives you something to do. I assume everyone has a large face pool clock like me.
                          Started swimming this month in a saline filled pool. No chlorine smell, and no more tears Big grin Have missed last couple of swims but will probably hit the pool tommorrow.
                          Saline? This sounds great. I never heard of it before.

spacityrunner

Rests!!?? If you are rather consistent you can predict your minutes to finish and use the clock to count laps. Once a lap you need to look at the second hand to tell if you are behind or ahead. It also gives you something to do. I assume everyone has a large face pool clock like me.
                            Is that what that funny looking clock is for? Hmmm...I will have to see if I can figure this one out. I hope to go to the pool on Monday. Uhh, your not supposed to rest Big grin Wow, I think the idea of a saline pool is nice...but how do they keep it clean? I thought that was what all the chemicals were for.

Trails Rock!

Gotta TRI

Hey TRI - guys (and gals), Yes, a local indoor pool has switched to saline. Honestly I don't have a lot of info on it. I was thinking of googleing it later. I had heard talk of this place changing over to it and as it turns out our tri club has some trainings there. It is also a heated pool so I've got to say it is really cool. Nice and warm, no chlorine smell, but I've got to say- I still end up drinking more of it than I care to. It doesn't make swimming any easier Confused Thought I was going to swim today, but when I saw outside temps pushing 40 figured I'd go for a run instead. Did a nice 4 miler. Plenty of cold weather ahead to hit the pool ( or bike trainer ). I'll let you know if I learn any more on the saline pool. TTYL Andy
                              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                              TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Found this ... http://www.salinepoolsystems.com/index.htm Reasons to convert to Saline over 'Pool Chlorine' Advantages of the Saline System over 'Pool Chlorine' - the whole story ... Eliminates the need to add ‘pool-chlorine’ chemicals, algaecides and ‘shock’ chemicals to the water. You will no longer need to purchase, handle or suffer the effects of packaged sanitizing/oxidizing pool chemicals and the problems and risks associated with their use. No RED EYES, No GREEN HAIR, No ALGAE !!! Significant costs savings can be achieved by owners of commercial swimming pools and spas, water-park pools, water-features and other such applications which consume large quantities of chlorine. Home pool and spa owners realize less cost-savings due to the smaller quantities of chemicals required – and usually convert to the Saline System for reasons of personal and family health concerns, swimmer comfort, convenience and better water quality. Healthy. A Saline Purification System will maintain perfectly healthy water, while eliminating the risks and problems associated with periods of very high or low chemical levels. FAC (Free and Available Chlorine) can be maintained at levels to comply with local Health Authority requirements. Prevents algae growth. The constant ‘shocking’ of the water as it passes through the Saline System ‘cell’ together with consistently maintained sanitizer levels in the main water body will prevent the growth of all common algae. Environmentally and Ecologically Positive. The Saline System eliminates the need to manufacture, transport and store ‘pool-chlorine’ type chemicals and instead uses only pure natural salt from the ocean – and then re-cycles that salt indefinitely. Re-cycling a natural product – what a concept! Comfortable swimming environment. Users of swimming pools and spa pools enjoy the natural therapeutic and health benefits of the mild salt water - with none of the obnoxious effects usually suffered with manually-chlorinated water. Swimmers who suffer so-called ‘chlorine allergies’ will find relief from those symptoms in a saline pool. Other advantages for swimmers include NO RED EYES, NO IRRITATED SKIN, NO DAMAGED HAIR OR BATHING SUITS.