First goal accomplished! (Read 977 times)

sabend

I just started running in mid-June after a lifetime of being out of shape. And when I say out of shape, I mean that I would tell people I was out of shape, and they'd reply, "So you can only run one or two miles?" When I said out of shape, I meant that I could maybe run half a mile non-stop on a good day. Today, I went to the gym with a friend, and I managed to run a 13-minute mile without stopping. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me, and it also gives meaning to all the running I've done this month. Now, when people ask, "Oh, so you can only run a mile?" I can say YES. So, while you all are celebrating 10Ks and marathons ... I can run a mile. And I couldn't do that a month ago. Yay!
      Dude. The first mile is the best one of all. Don't forget that all the people running marathons and 10Ks, at some point, had to conquer that first mile too. Mine was near the end of February last year. I found this while trying to figure out exactly when I ran my first mile. It's from December 31, 2006. I didn't get around to running for another month or so - but it made me smile.
      I stayed up until about 3am smoking as many cigs as I could because I've sort of decided to quit smoking tomorrow.
      Congratulations and thanks for the memories. Keep on running!!!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dude. The first mile is the best one of all. Don't forget that all the people running marathons and 10Ks, at some point, had to conquer that first mile too.
        As usual, Bonkin is spot on. Tomorrow I will run the John Carson Road Race, a two miler that is run in Chelmsford MA every 4th of July. I run it every year now, and it reminds me that I've (literally) come a long way since it was my first official race. I just set a personal record for highest monthly miles at 167 in June, but the first time I ran on the 4th I honestly didn't know if I would be able to finish. I really wish I had RunningAHEAD when I was beginning to walk/run, I could have avoided a number of false starts and injuries. My running probably would have progressed much more quickly, you've found a great resource. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, congrats on taking it and keep up the good work.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

There are alot of really important 'firsts' in running. And I think of them all, running your first mile non-stop is probably the most signficant and important. There are few runners that can't remember the first time they finally made it around the track 4 times without stopping, walking or dying......... Congrats ----- It wont be long before you are posting again saying you just ran for your first 5 miles without stopping....Keep it up......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Congrats on that mile! It really is an accomplishment, so keep up the great work! Big grin
            -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! That's great! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

sabend

As usual, Bonkin is spot on. Tomorrow I will run the John Carson Road Race, a two miler that is run in Chelmsford MA every 4th of July. I run it every year now, and it reminds me that I've (literally) come a long way since it was my first official race. I just set a personal record for highest monthly miles at 167 in June, but the first time I ran on the 4th I honestly didn't know if I would be able to finish. I really wish I had RunningAHEAD when I was beginning to walk/run, I could have avoided a number of false starts and injuries. My running probably would have progressed much more quickly, you've found a great resource. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, congrats on taking it and keep up the good work.
                Chelmsford? I'm from Carlisle! Or, at least, I was before I moved out of my house in June. My mom used to teach there, though. Yay for local stuff. Thank you everyone for the congratulations and support! I'm not even that sore today, so if I have time, I might go for a run (outside) this evening. I've found that I can run way farther on a treadmill than on the road, even when I'm not running on a hill. I still can't do a mile non-stop outside. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!
                runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Slow down to a pace you walk or has close as possible. Go for distance and not speed.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Purdey

Self anointed title

Many, many congratulations. Now use that achievement as the base for bigger and better ones! Well done!

Doug Little

Congrats. You made the first step(s) I too was like you. I worked up a sweat heading to the refrig. Lost 150# in a year and finished a 5k last night under 24 minutes. Leep it up....be proud and report back! Doug
                      sabend

Slow down to a pace you walk or has close as possible. Go for distance and not speed.
                        Thanks! Your advice helped a bunch, actually. I was able to run an entire outdoor mile yesterday with no stitch afterwards, even though I was running uphill almost the entire time.
                        sabend

In the past week, I've managed to cover my next two goals! On Monday, I ran more than two miles (0.5 to the gym, 1.6 total on the treadmill), but on Wednesday I managed to run 2 miles straight (0.5 to the gym again, and then 2 on the treadmill). I can only do 30 minutes on the treadmill because my school's gym has a time limit on cardio machines, so now, I just need to maintain the 2 mile runs and start working on a shorter mile so I can get more than 2 miles in on the treadmill. Today, I completed my other goal. I was able to run my entire 1.2 mi outdoor route that I first ran when I started in June. It was exhausting and not fun at all, since there were NO downhill segments except at the very beginning and very end, but I'm very proud of myself, and I know it'll be easier next time! This is also the third day in a row I've been running (although I only ran about 0.8 mi yesterday). It's so weird to think that almost exactly a month ago, I could barely run half a mile, and if I tried, I couldn't breathe afterwards.

De-slacking in progress

just think- in a few month you'll prob be running 7 miles at once- me wuz u a few months ago

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It appears you are still running to fast.
                              I started in June. It was exhausting and not fun at all,

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

First 30+ mile week since 2004. 10 miler turned into 12. I knew I needed almost 11 miles to make 30 for the week. 2:55:08 but I still felt good afterwards.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter