More on the cold (Read 144 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Some people claim to be faster or prefer running in the cold.  I used to be that way.  And I mean cold cold, not the nice 46 degree marathon cold kind of run that's awesome.

I also realize that "cold" where I live is not really cold since it hardly gets below freezing and it's not really that windy.

All of my recent runs in the cold (25-35 degrees) have felt really sluggish.  Even the solid-feeling runs end up being at least 30 sec/mile slower than the same runs a month or two ago when it was in the 50s+.

I wonder if it's because I'm wearing so many layers.  Or maybe because it's dark when I'm running and I usually run in the light.  But it's dark so early now it's almost unavoidable with my schedule.

I just can't go fast in the cold.   It's annoying because I'm trying to make Dec my highest mileage month and it's literally taking a lot longer to get the miles done.

End transmission.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

spinach

I notice the same things every winter.  I have run a couple 5ks recently, the warmest was 3° above, and my times were a minute or two slower than what I was running in the fall.  Some of this may be because I have taken  a month or two easy after my goal marathons for the year in October.  Other confounding factors include the poor footing on the road, the extra clothes that I am wearing, and the running in the dark.  I am not worried, it happens every year and I expect my speed will be coming back in March and April.

Latent Runner

I'm running slower than I have in recent months as well, however, while running after sunset may be part of your issue, it is definitely one of my biggest issues.  I don't typically start layering up until the temperatures get below 40°F, and I don't start wearing leggings until the OAT is down near (or below) freezing; said another way, we've had both "shorts and tee-shirt" weather and single digit (either side of zero) temperatures all within the last two weeks.  Regardless of how I was dressed, my evening trail runs have been pretty uniformly slow due to the need to be very careful when negotiation the trail via the small pool of illumination cast by my headlight.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Me too.  I run more slowly when it is cold.   30s and below make me worry about pulling a muscle, slipping or other such  things.  The extra layers make me feel like Frosty the snowman, and I can only amble along.  It *is* frustrating.  My long run this weekend felt like it took FOREVER.  I just remind myself of how much worse it is to run in severe heat and humidity.  I'll take the cold any day.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

ultramarathon/triathlete

Me too.  I run more slowly when it is cold.   30s and below make me worry about pulling a muscle, slipping or other such  things.  The extra layers make me feel like Frosty the snowman, and I can only amble along.  It *is* frustrating.  My long run this weekend felt like it took FOREVER.  I just remind myself of how much worse it is to run in severe heat and humidity.  I'll take the cold any day.

I'm definitely faster in the heat and humidity, but more uncomfortable.  I'm slow in the but well bundled and other than maybe my nose, the rest of me feels fine.

Guess I'll just shuffle through the next couple of months like everyone else!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

obiebyke

It depends for me. When it's really really cold, I actually sometimes run faster just to get in my warm car sooner. But with snow, I'm very very slow. I'm hoping the path is well groomed for my remaining winter races.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm slower in the very early morning than later in the day, although I enjoy the early runs more.  I'm slower in the dark.  I don't know whether I'm slower in cold.  I do know I'm slower in high heat and humidity.

preciousJohn

Same thing here and I am pretty sure its the layers of clothing.  For this reason,  I am looking for fitted clothing instead of compression top/bottom. I think that helps a bit.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm much slower in the winter.  Factor in extra clothes, heavier shoes, poorer traction, and lack of water (I need to get an insulated Camelbak at some point), I don't even try to go fast.  I'm working hard to meet my year mileage goal with 74 mile weeks this month, so I totally hear you on how time consuming runs can be.  I was out from 7:30 to 10:15 today, running in four inches of fresh powder for 12 miles plus a 1 mile walk with my dog.  I thought I was never going to get home!

Leah, mother of dogs

I'm much slower in the winter.  Factor in extra clothes, heavier shoes, poorer traction, and lack of water (I need to get an insulated Camelbak at some point), I don't even try to go fast.  I'm working hard to meet my year mileage goal with 74 mile weeks this month, so I totally hear you on how time consuming runs can be.  I was out from 7:30 to 10:15 today, running in four inches of fresh powder for 12 miles plus a 1 mile walk with my dog.  I thought I was never going to get home!

Yes, same here.  "I don't even try to go fast."  I know I am slow but I am just trying to stay conditioned and consistent, and train my way back from an ankle injury (Nov.) to about 10-12 miles.  There aren't many winter races here in northern MN, most of them, if any, are in the Twin Cities or south of MN.  Too far to drive to.  I have managed to run in sub-zero degrees for about 3-6 miles so far.  Taking it slowly after an ankle injury in Nov.  but also keeping in mind of the factors you mentioned.  The wind/windchill are definitely the deciding factors in whether I run outside or not.  I can go to the local university gym but I don't (yet).  I can't believe I run in these artic temps just to avoid running on the TM!!  Yesterday I ran 4.5 miles, start was -6, end was -10.  Today it's 'warm' and sunny at 8 degrees!!  yippee!!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I don't know about the cold, but I definitely notice I'm slower in the dark.  I've always attributed it to subconsciously being more cautious with my footing - even if it's a road that I "know," it's tough to go fast (whatever that means for the run in question) when you can't see where your feet are going.  Even if you have a headlamp or other light.

For me, anyway.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

ultramarathon/triathlete

I don't know about the cold, but I definitely notice I'm slower in the dark.  I've always attributed it to subconsciously being more cautious with my footing - even if it's a road that I "know," it's tough to go fast (whatever that means for the run in question) when you can't see where your feet are going.  Even if you have a headlamp or other light.

For me, anyway.

I know what you mean about the dark.  This summer I noticed I consistently run slower in the dark, even when I'm convinced at the time I MUST be rocketing along.

As for the cold, I did 12 miles on the treadmill at lunch today at a full minute per mile faster than the 6ish miles I did in the cold last night. Both felt like an equal energy/muscle effort (although there's a lot of extra mental effort needed to run 12 miles, or any miles, on a treadmill).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

spinach

As for the cold, I did 12 miles on the treadmill at lunch today at a full minute per mile faster than the 6ish miles I did in the cold last night. Both felt like an equal energy/muscle effort (although there's a lot of extra mental effort needed to run 12 miles, or any miles, on a treadmill).

Again i am similiar.  I don't run on a treadmill but I sometimes will run on my school's indoor track.  When I do most of my miles there are around 7:00 and when i run outside this time of year my times are more like 7:45. I don't like running on tracks but it does help me speed up.

I feel the same way in same temperatures 25-35. I feel sluggish and that makes me get so down on myself. I cannot wait until its hot and humid again!!!  Until then I just hope I don't lose the progress I have made.

Typically when seasons change, your body may require a couple weeks to acclimatize to either heat or cold.

That said we went from shorts where I was to high 20s with some snow on higher trails (1500-2000ft) on race day. Most people treated it like another day at the office although a couple complained about the cold or snow. (I took about 16min off my time, but I had a cold last year.)

If you're wearing more than one layer and they're fuzzy against fuzzy (vs smooth against smooth or fuzzy), this could definitely slow your motions - besides the weight.

Darkness will likely slow you as will slippery whatever. Snow can sometimes be dealt with with traction devices, but it's still a bit slower than dirt and definitely slower than dry asphalt.

I don't try to keep pace, only effort, so I may not feel as stressed as others in winter - plus been there, done that a few times.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog