18 mile contrition run (Read 970 times)

Live and learn on these long runs. Underhydrated and then overhydrated [playing catch up on the water intake.] I met with my buddies after runnig the first 11 miles by myself [w/ a 4:30 am start and met them at 6:00 am -- BTW -- haven't run in the dark since March.] I though finishing with these guys guys would be great motivation but in truth, based on how crappy I felt by mile 14, all it did was get inside my head that I was running too fast and slowing them down. I really messed up my water / carbo intake. I ran the first 11 miles with no water and no carbs [STUPID] and then stopped back home and drank too much water and took two gel packs [i have never had more than one at a time.] [EVEN STUPIDER] Then the stomach was sloshing around. I was dry heaving within 2 miles and the rest of the run was pretty much a train a wreck. Lessons learned -- better take more time and energy scouting out some places to hide a water bottle along the route [as i hate running with them in the hands.] I went out too quick -- which I always do ... I just feel so good through 7-10 miles ... it's a whole new world above 15 miles ... that's been where the mistakes come home to roost. No need to get up at 4:00am ... more sleep will equal better runs [at least mentally for me.] Don't finish with guys with fresh legs ... it felt like they were pulling me and I just didn't have it in the tank. I guess I can be philosophical at this point and know that I have two more training runs at 18-20 miles before the marathon in Nov ... the next one will at a more consistent managable pace. The first time I did 10 miles ... I hade the same learning experience and the next one was way better as have been the subsequent ones. My splits went from 9:06 / mile through 11 miles /// 9:13 per mile through 13.63 miles /// really down hill from there [did a 10:54 mile and 12:03 mile … basically just dragging ass to get through the 18 miles at 2:58:12 or an average pace of 9:53. Last week I did 16 miles at an average pace of 8:48 without incident Dawg and Zoom-Zoom with get a chuckle out of the fact that you both entered my thoughts. Zoom-Zoom -- i was concerned about the slick stick leaving stains and Dawg ... as I was dry heaving i was thinking ... damn - the dawg was right -- slow and steady on the long runs -- the distance is more important than the speed. [How creepy is that?] What can be said … I screwed up and paid for it. Nobody to blame but me. On a side note … my knee didn’t feel too bad … actually doesn’t hurt at all now. Did quad stretches last night and this AM pre and post ... really trying to be more routine oriented on the stretching. Plus took a 20 minute ice bath post run to try to keep any swelling down. We will see how I feel for a Sunday run.

2012= under-goaled

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dawg and Zoom-Zoom with get a chuckle out of the fact that you both entered my thoughts. Zoom-Zoom -- i was concerned about the slick stick leaving stains and Dawg ... as I was dry heaving i was thinking ... damn - the dawg was right -- slow and steady on the long runs -- the distance is more important than the speed. [How creepy is that?]
      I'm flattered...I think. Wink Aww...man, I'm sorry you had such a craptacular run. My first 18 was horrible. On the bright side...my 20 2 weeks later was really good. So take this as a learning experience, which is sound like you are. It takes those godawful runs to make the good ones extra awesome by comparison. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

be flattered ... I pick up all these pointers off of R-A ... just thought you would kick out of knowing people read your posts. Be well! Clowning around

2012= under-goaled

We learn from our mistakes. I know that all too well, because I've made millions of them. The log looks good Slimbo, you've come a long way in a short time. I hope your legs continue to treat you well, if they do it looks like your training will have you ready to enjoy the big day in the big city. Keep up the good work!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

nkeliher

Running nut

I feel your pain - reminds me of the 18-miler that I did last week. I took only an 8-oz bottle of water with me and tried to ration it over 3 hours. I did have a few gel packs but I'm not sure how useful they were without sufficient water. My pace slowed from 8:30 min/mile through the first 2 miles to 11:15 min/mile over the last 2. I also noticed that as I slowed down I started running less efficiently so I got tired faster. When I got home I could barely crawl up the stairs to my apartment, where I promptly drank about 2 liters of water and lay on the floor for a while. I only started to feel a bit better about 2 hours later. Guess I need a better hydration plan for my next 18-20-miler - I've got 1 or 2 more before my marathon in Oct.
              I feel your pain - reminds me of the 18-miler that I did last week. I took only an 8-oz bottle of water with me and tried to ration it over 3 hours. Guess I need a better hydration plan for my next 18-20-miler - I've got 1 or 2 more before my marathon in Oct.
              For runs this long, it's pretty impractical to try to carry enough fluid with you so most folks do one of the following: Plan a route that loops past home (this is fine as long as you can avoid the temptation to stay home and blow off the remaining mileage) Stash bottles of water along your planned route in advance of the run (if there is a spot you'll be passing a couple of times you can park your car there and keep a cooler in the trunk) Plan a route that allows you to buy water during the run (this is fine as long as you don't mind being a big sweaty mess standing in line to pay) Plan a route that passes water fountains For my 26 miler on Sunday, I ran around Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield because there are three water fountains, a porta potty and a really nice breeze on the 3.2 mile loop. There is also a HoneyDew donut and a Gingerbread Construction Company that you pass. Eight laps would be pretty boring, but there are lots of people walking and running and on Sunday morning there were tons of windsurfers. The ride home after is a bit of a drag, but for me the benefits outweigh that drawback. Keep at it Mr. Keliher, BayState is a mere six weeks away.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I can't tell you how many times I considered "borrowing" a little water from an outdoor faucet at someone's home ... the idea of getting shot or surprising thier dog has always kept me moving along. Also considered jamming my face into a lawn sprinkler but it would appear that the water is coming out with too much force [not to mention the potential to have someone catch you on all fours like a rabid puppy --- sorry sir, i seem to have lost a contact.] A couple of other spots I have found that are always typically open with easy access and no questions are: Police stations Fire house Hospitals Libraries [most of them can double up w/ great bath rooms as well.]

2012= under-goaled

I can't tell you how many times I considered "borrowing" a little water from an outdoor faucet at someone's home ... the idea of getting shot or surprising thier dog has always kept me moving along. Also considered jamming my face into a lawn sprinkler but it would appear that the water is coming out with too much force [not to mention the potential to have someone catch you on all fours like a rabid puppy --- sorry sir, i seem to have lost a contact.] A couple of other spots I have found that are always typically open with easy access and no questions are: Police stations Fire house Hospitals Libraries [most of them can double up w/ great bath rooms as well.]
                  grocery stores are pretty good places to stop! Kroger and Meijers (24 hours!) are my favorites!
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

My running partner and I stopped at a local seafood store, right on the waterfront. It was basically just a shack with a bunch of fish and stuff on ice. No nice tables or anything, lol. We were dying, though, so we asked if we could get a cup of water. The guy was nice, but blinked and said he didn't know if he had any cups. Then RP noticed a sink and asked if we could just lap water out of it, and he said OK. Whatever it takes!