The New Recovery Drink (Read 749 times)

Slo

Actually, Chocolate Milk has been touted as a perfect recovery drink for years. Something Cyclist have known and used. Now the MMA cage fighters seem to be on board......opting for a tall glass of Chocolate Milk after an intense workout and forgoing the $4.00 latest claim to greatness drink. And what a treat to come in after a long run and gulp down that sinful chocolaty beverage knowing that "it does a body good" ! One thing I think alot of us ignore is the importance of recovery calories. We read about how important it is to re-fuel within 30 mins of our excersize but how many of us really do a good job of it. If I'm feeling sluggish and beat up I can usually find the problem in my nutrition habits. Do yourself a favor......Google Chocolate Milk as a recovery drink. Ounce for Ounce and dollar for dollar it really is unbeatable. For the record.....I do not work for the dairy council, own a dairy farm or have anything to benefit from promoting milk. Wink

Queen of 3rd Place

Or my post run favorite - Ovaltine! A little less sugar, a little more fortification (if you believe in that sort of thing). Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a big fan of the sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast packets...in lactose-free milk. Heh, and it was my routine post-run glass of Ovaltine in regular milk that made me discover that I can no longer gulp down a glass of milk. I thought it was the long runs that were, um...giving me the runs (and hellacious gas, TMI). Then I had a bit of a lightbulb moment and tried my post-run beverage with lactose-free milk...bingo! No more tummy troubles after my long runs. Big grin Luckily cultured dairy and ice cream don't give me trouble (though the knowledge that it could keeps me from inhaling a pint of Ben & Jerry's in a single sitting). Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Zoom-Zoom Great weather eh? Winter is here. I'm in Iowa......snuck in a 6 miler on dry pavement this morning. Looks like I will have to get the studded tires out for tomorrows run. Yeah, when I posted this I was thinking about the lactose intolerate folks.......My message was really meant to be more about the importance of a post workout recovery fuel but a fellow runner was giving me crap about my chocolate milk.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

a fellow runner was giving me crap about my chocolate milk.
            Their loss, I say! Chocolate milk is GOOD stuff! Much better than any actual "recovery drinks" I've tried. Lots cheaper, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

6-months of the year I can just leave a few cans of Slim fast chocolate sitting in the car and it is chilled and ready for me when I reach the car. It never spoils. In summer I have to bring a small cooler along.