Back Pain Advice (Read 645 times)

Member Since 2008

It seems as though evertime I work through an injury, a new one reveals it's ugly head. I have always had a strong back, but lately my lower back, mainly on the left side has been hurting soo bad, I cannot run without motrin. Does anyone have any suggestions or home remedies.

flatland mountaineer

In the SI joint?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Back pain / problems aren't fun or easy to figure out, even when you know what the problem is. It could be a disk problem, a muscle problem or some other problem. You need to figure out what the source of the problem is and then find a way to treat it without aggravating it. From experience, I can tell you it isn't an easy task. I had back surgery 5 years ago and have seen physical therapists and chiropractors also with limited success. I have been in and out of running for years because of back problems. As far as suggestions, I have one: Don't mask an injury by taking motrin so that you can run, as it will likely aggravate the problem. As for home rememdies, I have been doing a lot of core work lately combined with homemade traction to keep my back from locking up due to the core workouts, which seems to be working well for the time being.
        Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Member Since 2008

Thanks for your responses, Afterall of the research I have done, I believe it is the SI joint.
            I bought a "teeter" hang up device for my home. IT is awesome. you hang upside down and do some stretches and sit ups for about 5 minutes twice a day. back pain gone. i would recommend it to anyone with lower back pain. On september 15 last fall I was in the emergency room and could hardly stand up straight or walk. Four months later, I had a PR in my fourth marathon at Disney. I still feel my back a little every day, but the teeter makes that feeling go away for a half day or more. Good luck.

Member Since 2008

It turns out my back pain is coming from my hip being locked up. Thanks for the advice.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It seems as though evertime I work through an injury, a new one reveals it's ugly head.
                This suggests to me that you need to examine some fundamentals to look for root causes behind your symptoms. Running too much or too fast? When you're coming off a previous injury you may need to take it very easy. Like just sticking to walking for a while. Poor posture/form? This can lead to all kinds of pain and injury. Especially back problems. I would see about increasing your core strength, and maybe taking something like yoga. Other things to consider are whether you get sufficient sleep, how you deal with stress, and of course what you eat. I won't claim that any of these things by itself would cause your back to hurt, but the healthier you can be overall, the faster your body can heal itself or safely recover from exercise without further injuries.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.