HR monitors ? (Read 1252 times)

I'm just wondering if others find it challenging to stay within a particular zone, without having to walk to bring your HR down? Chris UK - thanks for the link in determining your HR zones. Appreciated!
    I usually run above 80%. As I get fitter getting my HR up as I walk on a flat course seems almost impossible and running below 80% just does not seem to agree with my legs. Only when I take my 11 yo. son with me on easy runs do I seem able to pace myself to run slow enough to bring my pace down.
    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      I am on the cusp of making a Polar purchase also. For those of you who have them: Is the "stopwatch" really a stopwatch? I have heard, without actually seeing them first-hand, that they don't do the 'normal' stopwatch functions like a normal Timex Ironman watch would do. Is this correct? What do you use to record/measure your lap/mile times? The budget is not big enough for a Garmin 201/301/205/305, so I'm wondering: am I doomed to wear two 'watches' if I want to do the HRM thing?
      With the Polar F4, I'm pretty sure you only hit the stopwatch to start and end your run, you can't "stopwatch" time intervals. I usually just look at my start/stop time for intervals and figure it out in my head, doing the math keeps me occupied during a recovery. I haven't played around with it too much though, so I could be wrong- if so hopefully someone will post otherwise!
        I'm finding it very challenging to stay within a set zone (i.e. 70-79% of MHR). I hover around 83-85% (~156 BPM), which seems to be an easy pace for me. My MHR is 186 BPM. I'm just wondering if others find it challenging to stay within a particular zone, without having to walk to bring your HR down?
        I find it hard to stay low also, but that is a result of level of fitness. If you want to be able to run for long distances, you have to be able to make your heart beat less during a run. It may feel easy, but can you go for long distances at that rate (2 hours, or say, 10 mi)? I have the same Polar HRM with the foot pod: http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Running/RS200sd.html
        Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
          A Suunto T6 is on its way to my local post office. Just the watch, no foodpod, bikepod or GPSpod (which are all coded -- Polar's aren't), but I will probably get a foodpod I guess. About $360 USD including vat, delivery etc. The foodpod costs about $125 USD. I'm a bit excited Big grin
            I got a Reebok Fitness Trainer Heart Rate Monitor for Christmas. It cost about $85 or so. I really like it. You don't notice the strap. The 220-age works pretty well for me. I've found that running at about 142 is my 'sweet' spot, which is about 80% according to the formula. For long runs I try to keep it at 75%. Works well for me.
              I've had the Polar 625x for 14 months. I am really happy with it - even though I am drooling a little over the new footpod! We also have problems with Garmins losing signal in our area.The foot pod is reasonably accurate, and easy to calibrate. I've used the bike add on, and taken it to the pool as well (it's a real eye opener to see your HR when aqua jogging!). You need to get the plastic chest strap/transmitter to use in the water. I have not had any problems with my unit. I like being able to have altitude readings on my runs. if you want more info there is a user group on Yahoo - really good info both pro and con http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Polar-RS_SD_X/?yguid=212611021

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Chenille, What happens with your HR when your jogging in the pool?
                  For one thing, it's really hard work to get it up and sustain it in your aerobic zone.If I didn't have the HR monitor, it would have been too easy to drop my HR lower than I wanted during the "recovery" times. It's not a joke about subtracting the 10bts/min from your land zones. Subjectively it feels like a harder work out. I was able to get my HR up in the 180's(max on land is 195) only by "sprinting" all out - I was totally whipped! The other weird thing was that I would drop about 3 lbs during a 60 min work out (with drinking 16 oz of water during)- that was a lb more than an equivalent land run. I didn't think you could sweat as much in the water because you would be working in a cooler environment. OK - I'm convinced - I'm heading back to the pool!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group