First Race Today! (Read 774 times)

Today I ran my first race since I started running -- the Father's Day 5k in Pittsburgh. I think I did pretty well with the pre-race jitters... my biggest worry was figuring out where to park. 

They lined up 5k walkers and runners together (is that common?) so it took a few minutes of jockeying to get into a groove... but otherwise, it felt pretty good to be out and running "for real". It was warmer than I'm used to running in, but I think I did okay in pacing myself and not going out too fast.

My official time for the race was 31:22, my un-official watch time was 30:54. It was a chip timed race, but I'm pretty sure the 31:22 is the gun time as well, since there's a picture of me at the finish line with 31:24 on the clock. Either way, I did better than I typically do in training, and my family was at the finish line wearing "Run Daddy, Run!" t-shirts which was a nice way to end it off.

Now I'm motivated to go for a sub-30 5k sometime. Gonna take a day or two off, then get back out and start pounding the pavement again.

Hope all the dads out there had as fun of a Father's Day as I did!

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day

Thats a really nice start Rum..........KEEP RUNNING

Good job....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Will, sounds like you had a fun, great first 5K...nice!!!

Well done! Smile

(And at every 5K I've done, walkers and runners started as one big mess of people.)

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Three half marathons later, I got a number. Half Fanatic #9292. :)

I look my best blurry!

I wish we had known you were there!  I would love to meet my local RAers!  Mike saw the Ts!  That is so cute!  Well, did you catch the bug?  Are you coming back for more?  I hope so.  Let me know when you are coming to the "lake" currently known as the mud pit.  We can take a nice and easy jog together.  Great job!  Keep us posted!
            babs71

Woo Hoo!  Congratulations!
                congratulations, and way to be consistent!
                  oops disregard delated post, wrong thread
                    I wish we had known you were there!  I would love to meet my local RAers!  Mike saw the Ts!  That is so cute!  Well, did you catch the bug?  Are you coming back for more?  I hope so.  Let me know when you are coming to the "lake" currently known as the mud pit.  We can take a nice and easy jog together.  Great job!  Keep us posted!

I would say so... I enjoy running, and for my first race the experience was pretty good. Only down side was that I got there pretty early and then I didn't know anyone else there, so I spent about 45-60 minutes just kind of wandering around doing nothing in particular and being bored. (My wife was originally not going to bring the kids, so it was a surprise to see them there at the finish line.)

Anyway, definitely going to keep running as long as I can, so I'll probably throw in a race here and there to keep me honest and to keep me from slacking.

Working my way up to 5 miles... going to try to push for 4 this week, we'll see how it goes. Slowly but surely.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. NOW I feel like a runner.

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day