A little help here. (Read 696 times)

My sister in law is training for a 5K and is suffering from blisters near the balls of her feet. She was telling me that it is because she pronates and it causes her feet to rub on the insides of her feet. I looked at her shoes this weekend and they are completely worn on the outside of the soles near telling me her foot strikes near her baby toe. I didn't have a suggestion as to what she should do other than visit a proper running store. Unfortunately she is to "fruggle" to shop in a running room or such. Can anyone suggest a good shoe type for her?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

jeffdonahue

First, get a good pair of double layer running socks - nothing cotton. Second, apply body glide/vaseline/lubricant of your choice to the affected area. I get blisters on the inside of my arch right near the ball of my foot as well. It could also definitely be the shoes she wears but the socks and lubricant should help either way.

The Greatest of All Time

Dri-fit socks. Even after a very long run they come off as dry as when I put them on.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Good socks are important, they cost apout $12-$14 a pair, but worth it! Also try baby powder on the feet before putting on the socks, of course your feet must be absolutely dry. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

The Greatest of All Time

Good socks are important, they cost apout $12-$14 a pair, but worth it! Also try baby powder on the feet before putting on the socks, of course your feet must be absolutely dry. Simon.
            FYI, I got 6 pairs of Nike Dri-fit socks at Dick's for $12
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Yeah, I'm not shoe expert, so I really would suggest a running store, but good socks are without a doubt a must.
              "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
              Ringmaster

Well, I know this wouldn't be the most . . . um . . . nice thing to do, but how about going to the running store to get a recommendation and then finding that shoe in last year's model online or at a sports superstore? If it's going to save her feet, it's worth it!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My sister in law is training for a 5K and is suffering from blisters near the balls of her feet. She was telling me that it is because she pronates and it causes her feet to rub on the insides of her feet. I looked at her shoes this weekend and they are completely worn on the outside of the soles near telling me her foot strikes near her baby toe. I didn't have a suggestion as to what she should do other than visit a proper running store. Unfortunately she is to "fruggle" to shop in a running room or such. Can anyone suggest a good shoe type for her?
                  Wear on the outside like that sounds like supination. Her blisters could be from being in the wrong shoe and/or the wrong size. If she's a supinator I don't think she should be in a shoe to control pronation. She may be too cheap to shop at a running store where they can look at her gait--ask her how much she'd rather spend to deal with an injury.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

She is not pronating, she is supinating, which means her feet roll outward instead of inward like they should. She should have some orthotics made that she can transfer from shoe to shoe because finding shoes for her foot type will be difficult and expensive. Tom

SMART Approach

Getting blisters (unless a new runner) should not happen. A big issue is that you said her shoes are completely worn on outside. She needs new shoes. Have her bring her shoes in to a running store. She will get fitted. And she should buy some decent socks as mentioned above. This should do it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com