Shoe lifespan? (Read 1245 times)

ScuderiaBirel

Nxt Amrcn F1 Chmp

Hi all, I have some Nike air pegasis shoes with 150 miles on them, but just recently i have been getting some knee pain. so my question is, are my shoes to blame? how long do shoes normaly last? I run on mainly pavement and weight 150 lbs if that matters. thank you very much,
    "You cannot be afraid, if you are afraid you shouldnt be in racing" Luca Luhr
      I find that my shoes generally last 400-450 miles. After that, they are relegated to lawn mowing duty. Are the shoes the cause of your pain? A definite maybe... are the Nikes you are wearing now a change from your previous shoe? Have you changed anything in your training (increased mileage, changes in terrain, etc.?) Just a couple of thoughts to help whittle down the cause, FWIW. Good luck!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

ScuderiaBirel

Nxt Amrcn F1 Chmp

Increased milage mainly. It has been a gradual increase however. I have not changed anything other than distance, my stretching, eating, warm up, technique, has all remained the same. Im new to running and these are my first real shoes, so i might just try a new set and see what happens. Thanks for the help!
        "You cannot be afraid, if you are afraid you shouldnt be in racing" Luca Luhr
          if you have consistently increased gradually without any platue's or cut back weeks then experiencing pain would be normal in my opinion. That being said I got 80 miles on a pair of pegasis shoes and developed a foot problem which was caused by the shoe. The shoe didn't bother me until I broke it in a bit. I still find them super comfy... and have once been temped and wore them for one more try to only have my foot swell up again. BUT I wouldn't think that after 150 miles the shoes would be shot and cause knee problems. How old are the shoes and do you use them for other things besides running? In other words do you only wear them to run in?

The shoes probably have plenty of miles left in them until they aren't usable anymore, but they could still be the source of a problem if they are pinching your foot or messing with your biomechanics. The easiest thing would be to get fitted a local running store by people who know how to choose shoes and see if that helps.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I started running in the 2006 Pegasus and they only lasted about 200 miles, one pair started hurting closer to 140 miles. I'm 185 lbs. I switched to Brooks Glycerins and my first pair lasted about 300 miles. Still going on the 2nd pair.
              Carly E

Carly

Shoes are supposed to last 450 miles, but I've found I have foot pain due to shoes far before then. Some people are harder on their shoes than others as well. From personal experience, my Nike's die faster than any other brand. Mizuno's seem to last longer. But I suggest that if you are feeling knee or foot pain after a while with the same pair of shoes, switch them. You can usually tell when they are starting to wear.
                Running is like Mouthwash; if you feel the burn, it's working.
                  Has your shoe wear pattern changed as you became more experienced runners? My first pair of Brooks beasts didn't last me long at all. I have now gotten stronger, lost weight, and improved my for significantly and my second pair seems to be holding up much better. Maybe the first pair was just a dud.
                    Your shoes are not worn out but they could still be causing knee pain if they are wrong for your foot type. Pay a visit to your friendly local running store and see what they recommend. Tom
                      if you have consistently increased gradually without any platue's or cut back weeks then experiencing pain would be normal in my opinion.
                      Right on! No matter how gradula your head thinks it might be, your skeletal system might not be up to it. Too many times were quick to blame the mileage of the shoe. On the other hand Nike doesn't do good in creating high mileage shoes. I know ultra guys who put in over 1000 miles in their shoes. I put in 1 year to 18 months myself in Mizunos. high mileage shoes.
                      CapeRunningMom

I usually get about 350-400 miles out of Nikes. I could probably get another 100 or so, but as soon as I notice that "compressed" feeling, I get new ones--I've had very few injuries and hope to keep it that way!

12 Squared

Your shoes are not worn out but they could still be causing knee pain if they are wrong for your foot type. Pay a visit to your friendly local running store and see what they recommend. Tom
                          Right O! Asics 2120s going on 550 miles. Asics Gel Nimbus lasted < 180 before they crapped out. 2120s still feel good, but the nimbus hurt from day 1. 180="" before="" they="" crapped="" out.="" 2120s="" still="" feel="" good,="" but="" the="" nimbus="" hurt="" from="" day=""></ 180 before they crapped out. 2120s still feel good, but the nimbus hurt from day 1.>
                          If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

My doctor told me I should toss my Asics 2120s after I developed achilles tendonitis. They have only 301 miles on them, so I'm bummed out. The PT guy said I should get a shoe with more stability, anyway, because my ankles roll inward.
                            JimR

Increased milage mainly. It has been a gradual increase however. I have not changed anything other than distance, my stretching, eating, warm up, technique, has all remained the same. Im new to running and these are my first real shoes, so i might just try a new set and see what happens. Thanks for the help!
                              My experience was, it takes 2 years for your body to really get accustomed to running. One group of muscles develops faster than another and, until they're all in sync, you risk issues particularly with the knees. It takes patience and backing off when things start to hurt.