Injured - Gutted!!! (Read 889 times)

Hi All, I recently started training for a marathon in October and everything has been going so well - Last Friday night I was out havin a beer and whatever way i was sitting i kind of fell and tweaked my calf muscle - i went to go jogging on saturday and just done the warm up as my calf felt really tight - I decided i should rest for a few days as I did not want to injure it more - Tuesday came around and I was so eager to get back out that I went out with the calf still a bit tight - not a great idea - so now I have made it worse!!!! It has now been a week that I have not been able to properly run (my own fault for rushing things-i know!!!) I am so eager to keep fit and train so am gutted about this - does anybody have any ideas what exercises i should do in the meantime??? Can't wait to get back out there...

Man in Tights

yeah injuries are a %&%*. but you cannot wish them away. Rest the injury. You can always build back running form. Cross train - cycle, swim, anything that doesn't aggrevate the calf. Also it would be wise to get a physio to check it out to ensure that it's not a major injury.

Think Whirled Peas

yeah injuries are a %&%*. but you cannot wish them away. Rest the injury. You can always build back running form. Cross train - cycle, swim, anything that doesn't aggrevate the calf. Also it would be wise to get a physio to check it out to ensure that it's not a major injury.
        Yep. I was going to mention swimming if you can find access to a pool. Or a pond. The pond would be good for you*. *Name that movie.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Yep. I was going to mention swimming if you can find access to a pool. Or a pond. The pond would be good for you*. *Name that movie.
          Caddyshack ... around my house that quote is repeated anytime the word "pool" or "pond" comes up!

Think Whirled Peas

Caddyshack ... around my house that quote is repeated anytime the word "pool" or "pond" comes up!
            Ding! Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

milkbaby

Less than two weeks before my last marathon I slipped in the rain and fell on the road. My right leg was all tight for a few days, but with some very gentle stretching, gentle massage, and some ice for a few days it was okay, and I ran a decent marathon 12 days afterwards, fewer than 3 minutes off my best time which was good under the circumstances. It can and will get better if you take care of it. Good luck!
              "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Oh Mighty Wing

Are you making sure to ice and stretch?? That is an important part of recovery!! OHOH for the ice try filling a dixie cup with water put it in the freezer once it's frozen peel part of the cup back exposing the ice. Then use it to massage your calf.
                  Its a long time till October, you have plenty of opportunity to get back on track.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

i had tight calves for a while. My doc gave me an anti inflammatory for a sore shoulder, which didnt work out, but calves felt alot better. maybe you should pop some ibu