Rockenmama's LMR Race Report (Read 745 times)

Tim & Michelle showed up right on schedule this morning, making for a great way to start the day! Spent a few minutes chatting while getting everything ready. Headed off to the race. Didn't take long to get there and found easy parking. They had a big table of lots of pre race food which was nice. No porta lavs to be seen but oh well we had no problem getting into the ones at the hotel (right by starting line). After everyone did their business we made sure to get a before race photo before heading out to the starting line. Got out there and Tim, Ken and I fired up our Garmins (TOOK FOREVOR!!) A couple people gave speeches then race started. The first few miles were really nice and downhill. Sucked cause we really couldn't do the most with the downhill (could of used the downhill the last couple of miles of race though) Such is life. So despite intending to start out at a 9:30-9:40 we we're closer to 9 minute miles. Kept an eye on Garmin every so often to make sure we we're at least staying ABOVE 9 minute miles. Other than the humidity the weather was still pretty decent at this time. Kept it nice and steady and around mile 8 took my first pitstop. Nothing like ducking behind a column of a bridge to go pee to make it a quick stop. Got back to running going at a pace that felt like we could go on forever. Legs feeling good at this time. Around mile 12 Michelle had to use the port a lav (actually she needed to for a few miles before as well. So we both stop use the lavs (happens to be a certain time of the month for both of us). Michelle ended up having some problems with her hip bag (whatever it's called ) so we we're there for a few minutes longer then expected. Back to running and probably not a quarter of a mile later I feel something hit my leg, and before I had a chance to stop and turn around a guy is yelling KEYS. Yep they we're mine. Go figure I didn't close the zipper on my camelback. Anyways back to running. We we're told there was a hill that they named Gary Ward (after one of the runners) at mile 14. Well it wasn't at mile 14 , more like mile 15. At first I thought someone had played a trick on everyone and that this "mysterious hill" wasn't even really there. Well it was, but not as bad as I had feared.Trucked up the hill and stopped at my first water station since camelback was almost empty. Got back running, feeling great not sore and feeling like I could go on forever (that doesn't last forever though lol) Stopped at every waterstop after that (every 2 miles) since it was starting to heat up and we we're getting out in the sun (camelback also empty). I think it was around mile 19 or so when we came across a guy named Dave. Turns out he has the same running addiction I have, but has managed to squeeze in some ultra's. He did a marathon I think 2 weeks earlier and is doing Rochester in a week or two. Very nice fellow to chat with and really helped with keeping relaxed. Around the 21 mile water stop ( I think) I told Michelle to go ahead and keep going not to worry about me. I wanted to make sure that if she had alot of gas still in the tank she had a chance to use it since I had no intentions on kicking it until the last mile or so. Well around mile 25 waterstop I managed to have caught up with her so we ran the last 1.2 together. I started to kick it in a little earlier than I would have if I had known ( mile 26 was a little further than it "should" have been) Oh well it felt great kicking it in and I think I manage to cross the finish line with a HUGE grin on my face. Nice finishing a run that long feeling as great as I did and still do. Nice to see the benefits of my last years training. Oh and to top it off GUESS WHAT????????????????????????????????????????????? just wait I'll tell ya in a sec ok I GOT 1st place in my age group Talk about a nice suprise! Guess I need to sign up for more small races like this one! Anyway Michelle and Tim we're so AWESOME!!! They we're so patient with hanging out with me until Ken came in (well after 5:00 hours) OH and thanks to Tim I have a picture of me (or will) crossing the finish line and thanks to Michelle I'll have one of Ken crossing the finish line!! Unfortunatly due to time constraints we didn't get to go out to eat together Definetly a GREAT experience and can't wait to do it again next year (hint hint Michelle ) Best organized Marathon I've done (ok so I've only done 2 lol). MTA: That either I had pretty even splits or a negative split for my second half. When my key fell out of my camelback I somehow stopped Garmin (didn't realize it until a bit later) Anyway here's my data from Garmin http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3905680#

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Now that was a bath...

Pam - you are freakin awesome!!!!!!! Well done on the age group placing and on catching up with Michelle! It sounds like you had a great run. When do we get to see the pics? Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Go Pre!

Awesome, great time especially on a warm day!
          Thanks Claire and Daddyo! You'll get to see them when either Scout or Michelle post the one's they have? Or they send them to me and I post them!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WTG!! Awesome about the 1st AG!!!! Nice trophy!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! How awesome Pam! We're all proud of you!! Big grin
                I may NEVER do that again. (working on pictures, I'll be back...)

Michelle

great race pam! Congratulations on keeping your pace even the entire way. Also on your 1st place!
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    I may NEVER do that again. (working on pictures, I'll be back...)
                    Notice the word MAY Wink

great race pam! Congratulations on keeping your pace even the entire way. Also on your 1st place!
                      Thanks Landy!! It wasn't exactly even, but considering all the waterstops they would of been. One of these days I'm going to be joining you in the trail racing!!

Great race --- and WTG on FIRST PLACE in your AG!! Big grin
                        2009: BQ?
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Notice the word MAY Wink
                          Heh... Wink Awesome job on that FIRST PLACE! I'm friggin' proud of you all! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

Smile I knew it would go well for you! Sunday was muggy and warm by me, and I was thinking about you out there, hoping that all that training in the muk this summer was helping you out, and apparantly it did! Congratulations on winning your age group as well! What a great bonus that was, although it doesn't surprise me given the training you've been doing. Finally, you got to finish with your partner in crime Michelle, which was very appropriate, since you've been in this thing together from the start. I'm glad you had an all around good day Pam! Very well done. We are all very proud of you!
                              Well done! Nice race and first place to boot!
                              2008 Goals
                            • Run 1250 miles
                            • Get down to 135!
                            • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                            • va

Congrats Pam for a strong performance and finish!!! You hard work and results are an inspiration!