Can it be something else? (Read 779 times)

nemo1

Okay, last Sunday I was working on a 12 mile run, which I was able to run outside for the first time on the roads since January instead of inside on a track. This was also the last long run before I'm supposed to run the Martian half marathon in Michigan this upcoming Sunday. At mile six, just before my turn around point, I had to stop because I thought by sock had folded over and it had gotten painful. I pull out my foot, and there isn't a fold, so I massage the area, prepared to keep running. Well, it got so painful that I had to call home for someone to come get me. I walked another mile before they arrived and I went home only completing 7 of my 12 miles Sad I had called home before it was so painful that I couldn't walk in hopes that I would have just overstretched a muscle or something, but could still run on Sunday. Well, now the pain goes away as long as I'm not standing or walking on the foot (my left). But, if I'm walking for even more than say five or ten minutes, a sharp pain comes back. I've been looking on the internet and this sounds like a stress fracture, and I will make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. What I want to know is, could it be something else with less of a recovery time? I'm only just now back up to my pre-car accident miles. If I'm out again for so long I'm going to start thinking that I'm just not meant to run because something always happens to keep me from racing Cry. I've even signed up for a marathon again in June...
      Glad you are not wasting time checking it out. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is something with shorter recovery. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is there any numbness? I will from time to time get what I am pretty certain is chronic compartment syndrome and it often presents with pain AND numbness in the affected foot/feet. I also will get the sensation that there is a rock under my shoe (ball of the foot area), but there is never anything there. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

It could be something else. Usually a stress fracture doesn't just come on all of a sudden--it's result of ignoring the early warning signs of tendonitis or something similar. Does Ice and Ibuprofen do anything to it? Good idea to get it looked at.

Runners run

My husband's been battling Morton's Neuroma for awhile now. It started out like a feeling that his socks were bunched up under his toes. Then it gets really painful. A sort of burning pain. Here's a link to an article that describes it: http://www.aapsm.org/neuroma.html After taking some time off and focusing on cross training, he's had some luck with adding a cushiony insole to his shoes to provide a little padding. Along with ice and ibuprofen, of course. Teresa
            nemo1

Thanks for the info. There isn't any numbness. It may have something to do with the fact that I've been running on flat track and suddenly switched to asphalt/trail on the side of the road, and for a long run too. I ran outside before that, but only three miles. Now that I think about it, probably not to smart, but I didn't have a problem before so I didn't think I would now. Well, my appointment is at 11:15 am today, I let you know.
                Sounds very similar to what I have occasionally. I think it's MN but it hasn't gotten so bad some NSAIDs keep it at bay. I will get it checked out eventually. I'd try it again but take an Aleve before your run. I tend to not have it when then route I'm running is more varied like a trail.
                nemo1

Doctor said he thinks it's a stress fracture. Sad He doesn't have an X-ray machine at his office so he is waiting for the results from the X-ray tech's office. Stress fractures don't generally show up on an X-ray unless it's really bad or it's been there a while. So, either way, it looks like I'm off of the foot for a while and off to a podiatrist to see what he says. Oh, and it no longer stops hurting after I rest. It just gets worse, so I'm glad I went to the doctor. Ice and ibuprofen for the win. Maybe I can run a 10 K after this heals. Hey, if you cross train while you are injured, what type of mileage can you run once you're healed? Say you are out for 6 weeks.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, if you cross train while you are injured, what type of mileage can you run once you're healed? Say you are out for 6 weeks.
                    I think you'd be pretty limited to swimming...as you can really only do stuff that doesn't involve putting weight/pressure on the injured area. I'm sorry to hear this and hope it's not a true stress fracture. Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

If it was a stress fracture, I couldn't swim because of the location of the injury. However, there's good news! It's not a stress fracture. The podiatrist says its genetic. He gave me a steroid shot in the area to get the swelling down and I have to wear orthodics. He said he was surprised it took so long for it to cause an injury. So, I can run the 10K tomorrow (I called, they said they would switch me) instead of the half marathon and then I'm limited to one or two even shorter runs this week. Then, I can go back to more days of running and he says I should even be okay for the marathon in June. Yay!!