NOVA Marathon Special (Read 1033 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

7 hours is a long time to be on your feet.
      Says the K2K2K man. Big grin Haven't watched it yet but its DVR'd and watching it later.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It sure is. I am guessing that I would be around 4:30 for my first marathon...I can't imagine another 2.5 hours on top of that...hell, I can't even imagine running for 4.5! Something I recently was looking at was celebrity marathon times. I feel really warm and fuzzy knowing that Freddie Prinze Jr. and Mario Lopez are both around 4:50 for their marathon PRs. Damn, for guys who LOOK so buff it's obvious that they were not well trained. I think some of these NOVA folks could have beaten them. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

db7

very emotional to watch. even for a "tough guy". takes you right back to your finish even if you didnt run the boston. Db

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I recognized some of their routes! They ran around the Mystic Lakes. My club runs around there after the first snow fall. Way cool! It was nice to see them finish. Brings back great memories.
            derek

I didn't know Boston had multiple start times and that the elite men and women started at different times. Can someone tell me which "gun" time is shown on the finish line clock? Is it the men's or women's?

Derek

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Derek, to make matters more confusing, they have two clocks at the finish line. One of them is for the men's and the first wave, and the other clock is for the second wave. I'm not sure what they do for the women's race though.

Anyone have pizza?

I got misty. I have no doubt in my mind that I will cross the finish of my first marathon and start bawling like a baby on the pavement. Eryn will hopefully be holding my hand as we finish, just as we did for my first 25k (her second). k
                  Zoom, you will. The first time I crossed the marathon in 1984, I was. And then when I did it again in 2005, after a 19 year layoff, it was beyond overwhelming....It's what makes all this insanity so worthwhile!!!!! Big grin
                    Great show- thanks for posting this link. Was crazy to realize within seconds that it was all centered around my (old) school and that I've run most of their runs. Go Betsey!
                      Can someone tell me which "gun" time is shown on the finish line clock? Is it the men's or women's?
                      The clock was the "gun" time for the 2nd wave start. The clock read 4:08 ish when Jonathan finished and his net time was 3:53 which makes sense since they started at the tail end of the 2nd wave. The elite women's clock had likely long been turned off by that point. Mile Collector, did you recognize anyone you know in the starting line footage? I saw a few familiar faces. I've seen many people run their first marathons--including plenty of regular folks who were not runners. I still found this strangely inspiring.

Runners run

I was a little disappointed, I think the website is actually better than the show itself. Well actually the show WAS good, but I wanted more. More Uta. More Coach M. More info on the testing. More of the runner's thoughts leading up to the race, and during. More on the NASTY weather that almost lead to cancellation. I guess I want a miniseries. Even though it was only an hour, a number of things jumped out and will probably stick with me for a while. The look of concern on her face when they hastily shut down Betsy's testing. The bloody sock, which Curt Schilling has turned into a Boston religious rite. The comments regarding "you can do it" when you're smashing into the wall on a 20 miler. The swamp that was Hopkinton that morning. The enthusiastic smiles at mile 9, and the misery/joy at the finish. That poor woman running with glass in her foot, I would have asked a cop to shoot me. Coach M being enveloped by a DeOssie hug, he pretty much just disappeared. Time to start an online petition for more. Smile MTA: "They're dogmeat, but you can't say that" ~Coach M

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

va

I really enjoyed the show too. Did these Nova folks, along with bunch of the others, have their own starting special start time? I am assuming they were exempt from meeting the normal qualifying times. It looks like the fastest finished 4+ hours.
                            I really enjoyed the show too. Did these Nova folks, along with bunch of the others, have their own starting special start time? I am assuming they were exempt from meeting the normal qualifying times. It looks like the fastest finished 4+ hours.
                            They didn't have their own start time, they started at the way back of the 2nd wave. There are always a couple thousand spots reserved for charity runners, employees of the sponsors, friends of the BAA etc. and others to get in without qualifying. I'm sure NOVA did this in partnership with the BAA (more publicity for the marathon).

Runners run

I thought it was pretty good too. I would've like a longer show or miniseries too but, how interesting would that be to a non-runner? I'd like to see their training logs. Have to check the website again to see if it's available. I looked at the runner's bios before airtime. Did you know that Jonathan,the entreprneur with the five kids & a messy divorce, is a cousin of Bush? When they showed the footage at the finish with his folks at the end you could see his Dad had a strong resemblance to HW. I just looked at the website again & they do show the training calendar.

The voice of mile 18

I liked and was suprised 12 out 13 did finish. I thought the washout rate would be a lot higher. thought it was good all around

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy