NOVA Marathon Special (Read 1033 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

did you recognize anyone you know in the starting line footage? I saw a few familiar faces.
    LOL! I was actually looking to see if there are any greens in the crowd. I saw one of the Moulton twins in the elite men start. I was wishing I had an HD tv. It's like playing where's Waldo. Love it! I too was hoping that there would be more science in the episode. Without it, it's just another feel good show on the Oxygen network *ducks* That said, it was still pretty amazing watching them presevere. And I did feel good watching them cross the line.
    t_runner

I too was hoping that there would be more science in the episode.
      I agree.. I was hoping to learn a few things, as well as be inspired. It was inspiring, and overall I enjoyed it. Thanks for the reminder, I would have totally forgotten to watch this otherwise.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was a little disappointed, I think the website is actually better than the show itself. Well actually the show WAS good, but I wanted more. More Uta. More Coach M. More info on the testing. More of the runner's thoughts leading up to the race, and during. More on the NASTY weather that almost lead to cancellation. I guess I want a miniseries.
        Complete and utter ditto. I really would have liked to see THIS as a reality show, instead of so much of the crap out there that is made reality TV. Wouldn't seeing a group of ordinary Joes training for a marathon make for a wonderful weekly series, even if each episode were only 30 minutes? Hmmm...we should pose this to the networks. I think a lot of folks would enjoy that and it would inspire people to get fit and attempt marathons themselves. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree about the reality show. I've often thought it would be fascinating to put a bunch of decent athletes into a triathlon training show (like maybe runners, swimmers, or bikers, but not triathletes), and see who wins. No one but a few athletes would watch that, though.
            I have to say I was pretty amazed at how quickly their VO2 max changed! I wanna do all those tests Wink Glad I watched, but found myself shaking my head at times.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I went to watch this and the DVR recorded....nothing. Damn. Have to try again for a rerun.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The voice of mile 18

I might have recorded it. let me check tonight

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have to say I was pretty amazed at how quickly their VO2 max changed! I wanna do all those tests Wink
                  I was just telling did last night that I'd love to undergo that testing. I'm guessing that the sports med/sports PT program at my alma mater would offer that. Anyone have any idea what that might cost? It does intrigue me. k

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

I was just telling did last night that I'd love to undergo that testing. I'm guessing that the sports med/sports PT program at my alma mater would offer that. Anyone have any idea what that might cost? It does intrigue me. k
                    Since you have asthma/allergies, perhaps they would do you for free, K?!? Oops... that didn't come out quite right. Big grin

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Another Passion

I got misty. I have no doubt in my mind that I will cross the finish of my first marathon and start bawling like a baby on the pavement. Eryn will hopefully be holding my hand as we finish, just as we did for my first 25k (her second). k
                      I will be totally overwhelmed with emotion and bawling (if I finish... or if I don't I suppose as well!, for different reasons of course) as part of my reason for running my marathon is to run it in honor of my 35 year old cousin in Texas who has CP and has never walked a day in her life. Cry

Rick

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Since you have asthma/allergies, perhaps they would do you for free, K?!? Oops... that didn't come out quite right. Big grin
                        Oooh...like a test subject--that would be cool! Big grin I think you should run in honor of your cousin. did's cousin was born with very mild CP, most of the effects she grew out of. It's sad how terrible her health is (she's in her early 20s) because she doesn't care. She has had kidney problems because she drinks only soda...the only "meat" she eats is hot dogs...no veggies, lots of chips. Her skin is sort of yellow/gray. I want to shake this girl--she has been so lucky to be fully mobile...all of her health issues are wrought by her own poor lifestyle choices. Drives me nuts that she is squandering her life when others have more severe forms of CP and would love the chance to do the things that she COULD do if she weren't such a slouch. k

~ Sarah Kay

I've heard the VO2Max tests run a couple hundred bucks or so. IMO - the money is better spent on a Garmin.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've heard the VO2Max tests run a couple hundred bucks or so. IMO - the money is better spent on a Garmin.
                            Ooh, yikes...yeah, I don't need a test to tell me I'm not particularly efficient, I guess. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah. Me neither. Eric's handy dandy little calculation he does on each running workout is close enough for me.

Another Passion

Oooh...like a test subject--that would be cool! Big grin I think you should run in honor of your cousin. did's cousin was born with very mild CP, most of the effects she grew out of. It's sad how terrible her health is (she's in her early 20s) because she doesn't care. She has had kidney problems because she drinks only soda...the only "meat" she eats is hot dogs...no veggies, lots of chips. Her skin is sort of yellow/gray. I want to shake this girl--she has been so lucky to be fully mobile...all of her health issues are wrought by her own poor lifestyle choices. Drives me nuts that she is squandering her life when others have more severe forms of CP and would love the chance to do the things that she COULD do if she weren't such a slouch. k
                                Precisely what I meant... you could be a test subject. Wink I will be running in her honor and, she will be my inspiration to finish, and finish well. Her name is Cassie. Smile

Rick