Popliteal (Baker's) cyst on right knee, should I stop running? (Read 858 times)

I look my best blurry!

I have a popliteal cyst on my right knee about the size of a brazil nut.  It doesn't hurt at all.  However, I know it is a result of swelling in the knee joint.  I don't have any knee pain.  I know that this is usually a sign of knee problems.  Funny thing is I never have any problems with that knee.  I've had runner's knee and have vascular problems that cause pain and spasm in my tibialis anterior in my other leg.  I am a fairly new runner- 10 mos.  I run 20-25 mi per week.  What should I do?  I am dying to run a 5 K Oct 3rd.  I think I can do it in about 23 min.  I am 43 yrs old.  Help!  I love running but it doesn't love me.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where is it?  How long has it been there?  Strange that it does not hurt...

I look my best blurry!

It is on the medial posterior knee.  It stings a little today, that's it.

Went to the ER with one because the walk in clinic DR said they had the equipment to rule out a blood clot. Wife and the interwebs made me believe it was a blood clot.

Mine was painful. Believe mine was aggravated by my calf sleeves. Same sypmtoms on another occassion but less severe swelling and pain. Couple days off running and it was a non-issue. I'll try again this morning

No  big deal or something to monitor? Though I'd imagine it would depend upon if it was fiberous? or fluid filled.

Get off my porch

Best Present Ever

Where is it?  How long has it been there?  Strange that it does not hurt...

I have a cyst confirmed as 'large and complex' based on the MRI.  Honestly, it doesn't hurt.  I get what I call a 'funny feeling' (tightness?  pressure?  I'm never sure how to describe it) in my knee that I suspect is the cyst.  The only time I have pain is when I have significant swelling of the knee, which seems to happen about once a year or so due to arthritis in the joint (which I suppose is the underlying reason for the cyst as well).  But neither the cyst nor the arthritis cause any direct pain.