Triathlon Time Goal Help (Read 1158 times)

I'm a 3:10 marathoner who needs time goals to be motivated.  Finishing has lost its luster.  I just signed up for a half ironman in the fall, but I have no idea what time I should be shooting for: 5 hours?

Also, anybody have a good training plan?  I was just going to use my knowledge with running and figure something out.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gotta TRI

Certainly no expert here so take with a grain of salt but...there are many variables to consider here. What is your tri background? Are you a strong swimmer and / or cyclist? Having a strong run like yours is great but obviously if you can't keep from drowning or hold your own on a bike then the run won't help. Having a strong base in all three disciplines is key.

Consider the pros.. they'll finish a half in about 4 hours...someone like me at the other end of the spectrum finished in about 61/2 hours. To me 5 is a very admirable time and know some extemely fit athletes that have finished in that timeframe.

Trinewbies.com has training plans for the half as well as other distances. I'm really of no help here as I'm way behind on my own training...I have discipline issues and really race to fininsh not place.

Well, that's my two cents.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      protoplasm72

If you don't have any background in biking and swimming 5 hours seems unlikely.  There are guys that run 2:20 marathons that wouldn't be able to finish a HIM in 5 hours.  What is your background in swimming and biking?

Just to give you an idea of what you'd need to do for a 5 hour HIM.  So say you can run a 1:30 HM, in a HIM that will be like a 1:40 or longer cause you'll be tired from the bike.  If you are a MOP swimmer around 45 minutes that means for a 5 hour HIM with transitions you need a 2:30 bike which is an average of 22.4 mph.  IMO that is pretty tough pace to maintain if you haven't been seriously biking for a long time. 

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Muebele

I'm in the same boat. 

I'm hoping for a 3:10 marathon next month and will be doing the Timberman half-ironman in the fall.  I'm not a strong swimmer and am an average biker (compared to those on the superbikes) and am looking to break 6 hours.  I use other runners I know who did half's to compare.  I would love to be closer to 5:30, but considering that this will be my first half, I'm not expecting much.  5+ hours competing is a lot. 

There are a lot of books with training plans.  I bought a book called "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" by Gale Bernhardt.  I might not use one of the plans 100%, but take the best from each plan and make my own

Good Luck.

Gotta TRI

I'm in the same boat. 

I'm hoping for a 3:10 marathon next month and will be doing the Timberman half-ironman in the fall.  I'm not a strong swimmer and am an average biker (compared to those on the superbikes) and am looking to break 6 hours.  I use other runners I know who did half's to compare.  I would love to be closer to 5:30, but considering that this will be my first half, I'm not expecting much.  5+ hours competing is a lot. 

There are a lot of books with training plans.  I bought a book called "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" by Gale Bernhardt.  I might not use one of the plans 100%, but take the best from each plan and make my own

Good Luck.

I live in the area and have done both the Timberman sprint and the HIM. It is a GREAT event that is superbly run. The half is fairly tough. Take that for what it is... It's the only HIm I've done and biking is my weakest event. Last year they changed the course a tweak ( and added some more hills! ) I haven't done the Half since 08 and last year I dropped to the sprint which is an awsome run.  Not sure which I'll do this year....may just do the sprint again.

Thanks for the advice, guys.  You're all probably right in that 5 hours is probably too ambitious.  I was just looking for a time goal and am soliciting advice.  Also, obviously, expreience is a factor which I did not (maybe didn't want to) mention.  While I'm relatively new to both swimming and biking, I figured I could get my bike up to speed (pun intended) and just hope to make it through the swim.  If "extremely fit athletes" are doing 5 hours, I don't think that's for me. 

I'll take a look at trinewbies.com for some plans.  I did buy "The Triathletes Bible" some years ago when the procrastination started and will read through that. 

Marathoning just seems so much simpler.  Hopefully that will make the tri more satisfying.

Gotta TRI

The key to the swim is technique. If you can get this down you'll survive it that much easier. Take a lesson or two ( or more). I wasn't a strong swimmer when I started, not that I really am now either, but I have come to enjoy the swim leg as I've gained skill and confidence thru technique.

The bike IMO is simply saddle time. The more time in the saddle will equate to faster speeds, longer duration and endurance. If you combine this with some brick training to get your legs used to the transition from pedaling to running you'll be much better off come race day.

Lastly, ( again my opinion ) take it easy on the swim, steady on the bike and save it for the run as it is your strong suit. There's is time to train for this if you're looking to run in the fall, and concievable if the training is there to see a 5 1/2 - 6 hr. race or better.

Hmmm....I should really take my own advice...

Your best bet would be to schedule a few sprints and or olympic distances a month or 2 before to see where you are at and then go from there. I'm a runner too and did 2 sprints last summer and have a half IM scheduled for this August. The swim is tough, plain and simple if you are not a swimmer, the bike you can get thru because who forgets how to bike, and then the run is the best because it is what we are good at. 

Good luck.

shonan marathon, girl

i am using gale bernhardts book, training plans for multisport athletes, right now.  the 27 week him training plan.  getting in 10hrs of training per week isnt easy.  i agree that the swim is the biggest hurdle for those with little swimming background.  i started to learn how to swim and run at 41, and did my first olympic distance tri at 43.  did my first marathon at age 42.  i did alot of hill climb biking and ocean swim training to prepare for my tri races.  i finally did my first half im, swim 2k, bike 105k, run 20k,  last september and my finish time was 6:59.  i think a reasonable goal for you is 6 hrs and thats not easy for a female non-pro.  my goal was to be able to easily finish the race.  for your first im, finishing the race should be your first priority, then after that to work on your weak areas and to improve your time.  rome wasnt built in a day.  i decided not rush too fast to do my first full ironman, but to take my time toward reaching it.  for me, its the hard work of training that i like best.  on race day, i just want to have fun.  i plan to do another half im this year, and then do my first full im the year after next, or before i turn 50.  i can honestly tell you that triathlon is so much more fun than running marathons.  i am addicted!             

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Man, I'm stubborn.  All of what you guys are saying are absolutely the right things and good common sense.  For my own health and diet, having a time goal always puts me in better shape than training to finish.

I live in Florida and belong to the Y, so I will get plenty of swimming in.  Pool swimming, that is.  The unfortunate thing about practice triathlons, is that I am terrified of 'gators in the lakes and can't afford to do a Tri on the coast because I would have to stay somewhere.

I intend on doing "mock triathlons": pool to bike to run to get the feeling of working the different muscles. 

Thanks again for all of the advice, even if my own stubbornness prevents me from using common sense.  You definitely taught me to back off my probably crazy 5 hour expectations.

protoplasm72

You've got a long time to train.  There is no harm in having that goal for now.  A realistic goal time will become clear once you start putting in the biking miles and see how fast you can maintain for 56 miles.  Maybe 5 hours will be realistic.

Open water triathlon swims are very different then pool swims.  My first ow triathlon swim was in very rough water (caused by 25 mph winds and faster gusts), add the 100 or so guys kicking at hitting me and I was in trouble.  I was in shape to do a 25 min 1500 in the pool and I almost drowned in the first 100m.  I considered quiting several times in the first 400m.  Ended up with a 32 min 1500.  Moral of the story is get a short practice race in at least once.  You can drive an hour or 2 in the morning before a race.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson