Twitter (Read 1053 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I can't say I like twitter, but I definitely think it'd be a cool thing to have the ability to do on here. The facebook app is, I think, how I found out about this site--way back when I had a facebook. (My not having a fbook and my posting on RA discussions does have a direct correlation, ...and it is a matter of causality) 

The big thing with the kids around me seems to be tumblr, maybe something relevant to that might not hurt either, but I'm not still not sure how that'd work out.

Personally, I just don't want this thing to turn into "The Running Network" movie.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gotta disagree. I can't speak for most Twitter users but I think that the rebels in Iran, Libya and Egypt would take issue with that.  Twitter was a big part of toppling the Mubarak regime (they used it to organize demonstrations) and even today it is targeted by totalitarian governments because of its ability to disseminate information almost in real-time.

I spend a bit of time on Twitter.  Most of what I see is much like what I posted.  When massive geopolitical events occur, word tries to flow out any any medium it can find, but that a tool can be used for important events does not intrinsically make the tool or its most usual use important.

But your point is well taken nonetheless.

Imminent Catastrophe

It seemed to me that the tone of your post was that "all Twitter is frivolous". 

And you're mostly right, 99% of Twitter is fluff. But, knowing who/what to follow is the key. If you know who/what to follow, it's an extremely valuable tool for keeping up with world events and breaking news. And what @danerunsalot weighs todayWink

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am in his FB group too. Just sayin.

ultramarathon/triathlete

@Trent's actual last posts were:

I am watching Black Swan via @gomisohttp://miso.io/cQQExo

@hulu_support is awesome! Very quick response to my frustrations with the PSN outage. Thanks!

Free @starbucks Birthday drink today, what should I get?

About to start Portal 2. Oh yeah!

am watching An Idiot Abroad, Brazil (S01E06) via @gomiso.http://miso.io/exeDdH

Has Fernando Torres Scored For Chelsea? http://t.co/V89wJka

But yeah, riveting.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ryan Hall posted 2 days ago: "The travels begin! Off to Des Moines to watch @SaraHall3 run a road mile then continuing on to Nashville for Rock n Roll Marathon."

Interesting.  Very interesting.  He is well on his way to becoming a MM!

Stacks

Nando got one v. West Ham on the weekend.

http://hasfernandotorresscoredforchelsea.com/

Ryan Hall posted 2 days ago: "The travels begin! Off to Des Moines to watch @SaraHall3 run a road mile then continuing on to Nashville for Rock n Roll Marathon."

Interesting.  Very interesting.  He is well on his way to becoming a MM!

That means he was there to see Riggs' road mile too.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Gotta disagree. I can't speak for most Twitter users but I think that the rebels in Iran, Libya and Egypt would take issue with that.  Twitter was a big part of toppling the Mubarak regime (they used it to organize demonstrations) and even today it is targeted by totalitarian governments because of its ability to disseminate information almost in real-time. 

Twitter was ridiculed when it first started up for exactly the reasons that you cited, frivolity, but subsequent events have shown how important it is. The US even urged Twitter to cancel a scheduled maintenance outage during a critical time so that Iranian rebels could continue to use it.

I thought my 21:53 post illustrated the dichotomy between frivolous and important Twitter pretty well. 

And, as I previously wrote, it's a great way of disseminating time-critical information.

Malcolm Gladwell on why the revolution (was not) and will not be tweeted. The role of twitter in the revolts in Iran, Libya, and Egypt was WAY overblown.

In the Iranian case, meanwhile, the people tweeting about the demonstrations were almost all in the West. “It is time to get Twitter’s role in the events in Iran right,” Golnaz Esfandiari wrote, this past summer, in Foreign Policy. “Simply put: There was no Twitter Revolution inside Iran.”

Malcolm Gladwell on why the revolution (was not) and will not be tweeted. The role of twitter in the revolts in Iran, Libya, and Egypt was WAY overblown.

In the Iranian case, meanwhile, the people tweeting about the demonstrations were almost all in the West. “It is time to get Twitter’s role in the events in Iran right,” Golnaz Esfandiari wrote, this past summer, in Foreign Policy. “Simply put: There was no Twitter Revolution inside Iran.”

Really good article.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

In other news, it's being credited with saving lives in the tornados yesterday. UA students are saying that the alerts warned them to get to safe rooms.

Why is it sideways?

In other news, it's being credited with saving lives in the tornados yesterday. UA students are saying that the alerts warned them to get to safe rooms.

I work on a university campus with these sorts of alerts. We are inundated with them (I got 5 tornado alerts yesterday; I've probably gotten 25 over the course of this semester.)

What really gets students moving is the old-fashioned method of professors and grounds crews taking charge and getting people into basements. 

What really gets students moving is the old-fashioned method of professors and grounds crews taking charge and getting people into basements. 

At one of my son's recent baseball games, the weather was not looking good. For 20 minutes, people chatted about the bits of information they got from various sources on their phones/ipads/etc. It wasn't until the ball field's lightning/tornado alert siren sounded and the officials told people to go home that people actually started heading for their cars.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?